ALIENWARE 34 QD-OLED AW3423DW screwed me on warranty!

ANIMENIAC

I purchased the AW3423DW on 3/9, expected ship 3/12, delayed ship to 4/29, then delayed ship to 6/17, eventually arrived 5/7. Had read in the Ultrawidemasterrace reddit that some people may not have a warranty if it's not on your invoice. After my monitor arrived I checked my account and service tag to find an "issue with the warranty". Expanding on it find my monitor is "out of warranty". DELL/ALIENWARE was touting this as having a 3 year burn in replacement warranty. Reading reddit I find MANY others having this problem with some getting it fixed. 90 minutes on the phone of me being passed from dept. to dept. sometimes back around to the same dept again. I ended up being told "your invoice didn't include a warranty so you're out of luck"!!!! Shall I forward you to sales (to buy one?! that should be free) or "out of warranty" where I originated. At that point I angrily hung up in frustration. I'm essentially screwed! Just thought I'd bring this to attention and maybe be mentioned in a LTT video. DELL has always been shifty in their warranty practices.

I returned my AW3423DW anyways but it says it has warranty when I search the service tag.  The online invoice doesn't specifically call out a warranty.

image.thumb.png.98ed77115958de079d0265a54a84b9cf.png

I've only used dell warranty once before with a 27" 1440 screen and they conveniently didn't even want the original monitor back.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Aaaaaaand, the latest I got from DELL CARES twitter. Pasted below.

"My name is Jill from the Alienware Team.

We checked your case with the warranty team, and they confirmed that this Service Tag XXXXXXX, unfortunately the line items do not show any warranty. They cannot activate a warranty that is not included on the order number. I apologize I cannot offer you a solution with this. I know you have talked with multiple people, but for further questions we strongly suggest you to check with Customer Care: 800-624-9897"

That number I've called and wasted my time on already, NOT gonna do it again!

Do they know it's illegal to sell new electronics without a warranty in most countries?

Great to see Dell following up on their warranty promises. I really don't know why so many people say Dell has great service...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Like what is this, cucking people like this on warranty. Reason why I'd only get general products from my retailers so I can't be screwed like this directly from certain manufacturers. These things should be quick easy.

So yeah I avoid pre-orders and also wait units to hit retail. 

On the other hand definitely excited to see others to show more QD-OLED monitors.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Great to see Dell following up on their warranty promises. I really don't know why so many people say Dell has great service...

In my experience, sadly only while obligated under contract. Outside of it you're screwed. I had to deal with them a couple of times and under warranty they were great, responsive, tech on site the next day to replace the entire internals of the laptop (because replacing the single broken fan is somehow impossible?). Once warranty ran out I didn't exist anymore. A different laptop's touchpad broke again with the same issue as first after the same amount of time, but they didn't even respond at all to a request about repairs (even at my own cost). The second time was only just out of warranty.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I'm having flashbacks of the weeks it took to get Microsoft to fix an issue with my office 365 account...

EDIT: Oddly I'm on with Dell support right now for a laptop issue.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 1:06 PM, ANIMENIAC said:

I purchased the AW3423DW on 3/9, expected ship 3/12, delayed ship to 4/29, then delayed ship to 6/17, eventually arrived 5/7. Had read in the Ultrawidemasterrace reddit that some people may not have a warranty if it's not on your invoice. After my monitor arrived I checked my account and service tag to find an "issue with the warranty". Expanding on it find my monitor is "out of warranty". DELL/ALIENWARE was touting this as having a 3 year burn in replacement warranty. Reading reddit I find MANY others having this problem with some getting it fixed. 90 minutes on the phone of me being passed from dept. to dept. sometimes back around to the same dept again. I ended up being told "your invoice didn't include a warranty so you're out of luck"!!!! Shall I forward you to sales (to buy one?! that should be free) or "out of warranty" where I originated. At that point I angrily hung up in frustration. I'm essentially screwed! Just thought I'd bring this to attention and maybe be mentioned in a LTT video. DELL has always been shifty in their warranty practices.

Small claims court, and a big middle finger to Dell. You literally have proof in writing that they're denying warranty on a new product.

• 8 months later...

Straight from the product page:

Doesn't this count as advertising a 3 year warranty for burn in?

Screenshot_20230215_233131_Chrome.jpg

Always buy from a retailer and go to the retailer for warranty replacements. let them deal with Dell. At least thats the general rule of thumb in the UK.

If that isnt possible and contacting Dell has the above result. The Legal route will get u the result you want as its a cut and dry case. If you have it available to you in your country a legal notice of intent to sue can get things sorted without having to actually go through the process.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |