How do I recover Windows from this situation?

vicluber
Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

I believe if you delete all the Linux partitions and expand the Windows partition to take up all the space, that a Windows live media can be used to "repair" the installation to get it booting again.

If all you're concerned with is the license, Windows 10 and 11 will tie the license to the hardware so it persists across installations as long as you have an internet connection and you don't change core hardware like the motherboard. You'll be safe to completely wipe out the drive and reinstall Windows. It will activate using your old license a short time after connecting to the internet.

Hi everyone.
I bought this laptop with windows. The 512 GB SSD had one partition for Windows, one for recover it and I believe that one partition for booting. I use Linux in regular basis, I don't care much about Windows, but I care about it's license haha, I just want to recover it so I can sell this laptop with the original Windows installation.

My idea is to remove the ext4 and the fat32 that I've used for a Linux distro (automatic installation, I didn't do that partitions table manually) but I don't know if that's the correct procedure. I don't want to mess the Windows partition up.

Does anyone have an idea what should I do in order to be sure that after rebooting windows will boot?

This is my laptops partitions table.

Screenshot from 2022-05-18 16-42-39.png

I believe if you delete all the Linux partitions and expand the Windows partition to take up all the space, that a Windows live media can be used to "repair" the installation to get it booting again.

If all you're concerned with is the license, Windows 10 and 11 will tie the license to the hardware so it persists across installations as long as you have an internet connection and you don't change core hardware like the motherboard. You'll be safe to completely wipe out the drive and reinstall Windows. It will activate using your old license a short time after connecting to the internet.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Hi Lloyd! Thanks for replying.
So you think I'm gonna need to fix the boot with a media installation? Is not gonna straightforward boot after that? That's a pity. But its good to know that even after messing everything up there is still a chance to recover the license.

47 minutes ago, vicluber said:

there is still a chance to recover the license

The license persisting I'm very sure about since I've seen it in action in person and heard about it tons online, especially OEM licenses.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I have the first one deleted and moved the second one to the begining. And it didn't boot hehe. And my Windows media installation didn't repair the boot, but I don't trust it, I will get another one. (I just download the iso from windows, mounted and copy the content into the flashdrive, I will try with another one)

If that doesn't work either I will try with a new fresh installation.

37 minutes ago, vicluber said:

I have the first one deleted and moved the second one to the begining. And it didn't boot hehe. And my Windows media installation didn't repair the boot, but I don't trust it, I will get another one. (I just download the iso from windows, mounted and copy the content into the flashdrive, I will try with another one)

If that doesn't work either I will try with a new fresh installation.

its better not to deal with "Repairing" if you've not even used it for any important work or have files on there you wish to keep. in this case, you want to sell it? you don't need to do a Repair. it doesn't even work most of the time

I couldn't use the partitions there to boot or recover, so I just installed a new Windows on the ex Linux partition space and after updating it says that "Windows is activated with a digital license vinculated to a Microsoft account" or something like that. So I guess everything is alright, I have no reason to be worried, I could delete every partition and make a new clean full size Windows installation with no problem.

Thank you guuuuuys