Cloning an SSD - can I just clone the recovery partition and use that to restore OS on new drive?

gunsmoked

Hi! Looking for some advice here.

I'm upgrading a laptop SSD to a higher capacity SSD. The original SSD has the OS/data partition and also an OEM recovery partition. I am not interested in cloning the OS/Data partition as I want a fresh clean windows install. However, I want the OEM OS install, so I was wondering if I can just clone the recovery partition onto the new SSD and use that to restore/reinstall the OEM Windows on the new drive? Is that possible?

Honestly, the OEM recovery (if it even works) will just install all the bloat your laptop probably came with originally. You'd be much better off installing Windows from a fresh ISO, in which case you wouldn't need to clone anything. Just pop in your new SSD and start from scratch.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Either do what Kid.Lazer said and download a clean Windows iso from Microsoft. Or you can clone the entire drive and use the OEM recovery to wipe the rest of the partitions for a new install. If you want the old drivers and bloatware that comes with that.

no need, just clone and expand the main partition.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

You may want to take this into consideration. 😉

20 minutes ago, gunsmoked said:

I want a fresh clean windows install.

40 minutes ago, gunsmoked said:

I want the OEM OS install

How come?

Even if that is what you want, why not just restore the drive to factory settings and close the whole thing?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

How come?

Even if that is what you want, why not just restore the drive to factory settings and close the whole thing?

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

1.) why the oem recovery - laptop is a huawei matebook. has a fingerprint reader in the power button, so when i press on, it reads the fingerprint at power up and logs on to windows. i had some problems before when i just manually installed drivers, where the fingerprint was not passed on to windows login when windows loaded. so i thought the oem install with all the oem drivers (at factory) would be best...

2.) i might be misinformed with this, but I understood cloning copies over bit-by-bit, therefore including file fragments, deleted files etc. I wanted it fresh. However, what you're suggesting here is to factory reset ...I'm not sure if that automatically does a format and so the drive is clean from the "fragments"? That could work. 

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

as I mentioned in my previous post- i dont want to clone the file fragments, etc and windows registry full of stuff which has now been uninstalled

35 minutes ago, gunsmoked said:

2.) i might be misinformed with this, but I understood cloning copies over bit-by-bit, therefore including file fragments, deleted files etc. I wanted it fresh. However, what you're suggesting here is to factory reset ...I'm not sure if that automatically does a format and so the drive is clean from the "fragments"? That could work. 

Depends on what you use, for example Macrium Reflect has "intelligent copy" mode, it won't copy any unused space. And yes the factory restore will just reapply the factory image as it was and wipe any remains. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Depends on what you use, for example Macrium Reflect has "intelligent copy" mode, it won't copy any unused space. And yes the factory restore will just reapply the factory image as it was and wipe any remains. 

thank you, I was not aware of this. 

By the way, if I decide to try the route of just doing a fresh windows iso install, not using the recovery, can I do so with the key from the OEM windows? Not sure if it's a digital license or just key activation with the oem windows from laptop manufacturer.

You never mentioned what the laptop was, but unless it's really old it won't even ask for a key, it'll see there's a license stored in the BIOS and automatically install the matching version. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Sorry. I mentioned in a subsequent post that it's a huawei matebook. Specifically, it's a huawei matebook 13, 2019 model. So I think this should cover what you said about a license in the BIOS.

12 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You never mentioned what the laptop was, but unless it's really old it won't even ask for a key, it'll see there's a license stored in the BIOS and automatically install the matching version. 

On 5/18/2022 at 3:47 PM, gunsmoked said:

Windows based cloning tools like Macrium or even Windows Backup tools all use Volume Shadow Copy.

Volume Shadow copy is pretty clean and doesn't have the problem you mentioned.