help me find my modem firmware

Alireza

hi

i recently upgraded my internet to a rock solid fiber connection and im pretty happy with the service in terms of speed and latency

but there is something going on that's driving me insane

every 47-48 minutes the connection will drop for 5 second and then it will get reconnected

the PON light will stay on and LOS light is also stays off but the internet light will turn of for a few second

and after reconnecting my ip will change too

i talked to my isp and they factory reset the modem and reconfigured it remotely but that didn't fixed it

and then they told me there most be something wrong with the modems firmware

and then i thought i may just update the firmware since i didn't done it the moment i bought it but i cant find it anywhere

its a Fiberhome AN5506-04-F running version RP2609

i don't even know if its the latest version or not

i cant buy another model since my isp told me Fiberhome is the only brand there equipment work with

and i cant buy another unit because there too expensive in my region

can you help me find the firmware or even solve the problem?

or should i contact my isp again and say something else

this connection drop realllllllllly mess with my gaming/streaming session

also i connected with a ethernet cable to it

You in almost all cases cannot as the firmware is managed by your ISP for the units. I would call your ISP and tell them that your connection is constantly dropping and have them check for errors on the link if possible, there might be a small cut in the fiber somewhere just enough to be causing some weird issues but not stopping the connection completely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You in almost all cases cannot as the firmware is managed by your ISP for the units. I would call your ISP and tell them that your connection is constantly dropping and have them check for errors on the link if possible, there might be a small cut in the fiber somewhere just enough to be causing some weird issues but not stopping the connection completely.

i bought the modem and i have complete control over it

its no problem in that case

they should send a technician to solve the problem, even if you own the modem.

Act like got no clue.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Alireza said:

i bought the modem and i have complete control over it

its no problem in that case

I own my cable modem but I have no control over its firmware, only the cable provider can push updates to it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I own my cable modem but I have no control over its firmware, only the cable provider can push updates to it. 

my ISP ddoesnt control the modems

i have admin access to it

image.png

Just now, Alireza said:

Your ISP does control the firmware,

I have admin access to mine too but I still can't find or upload firmware. It's there as a last resort when firmware is provided by the ISP to the customer which almost never happens.

image.png.4fa25ac2381793753be3b199ed7102dc.png

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Alireza said:

image.png

Having admin access is not the same as not needing the firmware from your ISP. If they use the same modem they should be able to provide you with their latest firmware. From what I can tell there is at least a RP2669 firmware out there. But I have not been able to find anywhere public to download it.

You really need to badger your ISP regarding them providing the updated firmware. If they can remotely factory reset and configure your modem, then they can also update the firmware. They probably have a specific firmware for their network as well

Just now, Lurick said:

Your ISP does control the firmware,

I have admin access to mine too but I still can't find or upload firmware. It's there as a last resort when firmware is provided by the ISP to the customer which almost never happens.

image.png.4fa25ac2381793753be3b199ed7102dc.png

well i did always update the firmware myself on my old internet since in my country ISPs don't care about these stuff

also we don't have coax cable internet and lets now focus on my problem

can anyone help me finding the issue assuming asking the isp to come over is not an option or help me find the firmware?

1 minute ago, Pandur said:

Having admin access is not the same as not needing the firmware from your ISP. If they use the same modem they should be able to provide you with their latest firmware. From what I can tell there is at least a RP2669 firmware out there. But I have not been able to find anywhere public to download it.

You really need to badger your ISP regarding them providing the updated firmware. If they can remotely factory reset and configure your modem, then they can also update the firmware. They probably have a specific firmware for their network as well

yeah im aware they have some control but they dont update firmware or change any setting on routers

as soon as internet is connected

there done

i cant find the FW either

i dont know where else to look

4 minutes ago, Alireza said:

well i did always update the firmware myself on my old internet since in my country ISPs don't care about these stuff

also we don't have coax cable internet and lets now focus on my problem

can anyone help me finding the issue assuming asking the isp to come over is not an option or help me find the firmware?

1) That's a fiber ONT just like you have, different model same concept

2) The firmware is supposed to be managed by your ISP, it's not something you just download off the internet. They are responsible for it and I spent 30 minutes searching and found nothing and I wouldn't trust random files on the internet anyway, I'd want official firmware from the manufacturer but their site also requires a support contract to download, again, something your ISP is supposed to deal with.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This modem is not something that is sold to end-users for liberal use on any fios connection. This is something your ISP requires you to use because they are using the same one. You need to get them to provide their firmware for this modem. If they know you have the wrong/too old firmware for their network then they also have a later version available. They will probably not send you the file, since you can then upload it to the interwebs. That means they have to install it for you and stop being dicks about it.

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

1) That's a fiber ONT just like you have, different model same concept

2) The firmware is supposed to be managed by your ISP, it's not something you just download off the internet. They are responsible for it and I spent 30 minutes searching and found nothing and I wouldn't trust random files on the internet anyway, I'd want official firmware from the manufacturer which doesn't seem to exist. Their site also requires a support contract to download, again, something your ISP is supposed to deal with.

damn it

thats a let down

im in university in another city and i only come back home for weekend when they wont send technician

if anyone knows way to get my hands on a firmware

contact me please

On my fibre modem (huawei) there are 2 types of admin, regular admin (user controlled) and superadmin.

Superadmin have different username / password and can control everything from signal tweaking to firmware update.

my advice is just call them to send technicians, since they recommended the modem, they should be familiar with it.

most of the time problem like this is not related to the modem.

i had similar problem a couple of months before, the signal drops every 10 hours.

they send technician, turns out theres a problem with their hub, after some tweaking, problem disappear.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Pandur said:

This modem is not something that is sold to end-users for liberal use on any fios connection. This is something your ISP requires you to use because they are using the same one. You need to get them to provide their firmware for this modem. If they know you have the wrong/too old firmware for their network then they also have a later version available. They will probably not send you the file, since you can then upload it to the interwebs. That means they have to install it for you and stop being dicks about it.

i live in iran

international rules doesn't apply here and ISPs doesn't provide hardware to end user except for TD-LTE equipment's

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

On my fibre modem (huawei) there are 2 types of admin, regular admin (user controlled) and superadmin.

Superadmin have different username / password and can control everything from signal tweaking to firmware update.

my advice is just call them to send technicians, since they recommended the modem, they should be familiar with it.

most of the time problem like this is not related to the modem.

i had similar problem a couple of months before, the signal drops every 10 hours.

they send technician, turns out theres a problem with their hub, after some tweaking, problem disappear.

that's really helpful

seeing someone else having the same issue is kind of a relief for me now

although i know about that super admin on HW routers but there is no such thing on Fiberhome Routers

still apparently i need to contact them again for the like a thousand time until they fix it

3 minutes ago, Alireza said:

i live in iran

international rules doesn't apply here and ISPs doesn't provide hardware to end user except for TD-LTE equipment's

Considering you live in Iran, there is slim no chance that we can help you with the hardware you got. These are not international rules either, these common ISP practices.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Considering you live in Iran, there is slim no chance that we can help you with the hardware you got. These are not international rules either, these common ISP practices.

i know

that's what i meant

for now if anyone could help me further in my side of the connection it would be much appreciated

3 minutes ago, Alireza said:

i live in iran

All I am saying is that if they require you to use a specific modem for their network, which is a model that is not meant to be sold directly to end users. They need to provide a working firmware for it. Otherwise they are requiring you to use a non-working solution. Which by any rules, international or not, is by definition not a solution.

The only other option I can find is to contact the manufacturer directly: https://en.fiberhome.com/default.aspx

But I am unable to find that modem model or any firmware for it there. So you'd have to attempt the support email listed in contact information.

2 minutes ago, Alireza said:

that's really helpful

seeing someone else having the same issue is kind of a relief for me now

although i know about that super admin on HW routers but there is no such thing on Fiberhome Routers

still apparently i need to contact them again for the like a thousand time until they fix it

yeah, act like you don't know anything, don't say you can use the admin, you just want it to work. this might help you go up the urgent list.
theres no such thing as 'fiberhome router", everything modem related usually made by the same usual company like siemens, motorola, huawei, zte etc.

after all the effort to contact them failed, just go with another ISP.

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

yeah, act like you don't know anything, don't say you can use the admin, you just want it to work. this might help you go up the urgent list.
theres no such thing as 'fiberhome router", everything modem related usually made by the same usual company like siemens, motorola, huawei, zte etc.

after all the effort to contact them failed, just go with another ISP.

ill do that

sadly there are the only Fiber providers

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2022 at 8:46 PM, Lurick said:

On 5/18/2022 at 8:51 PM, SupaKomputa said:

they should send a technician to solve the problem, even if you own the modem.

Act like got no clue.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:54 PM, Donut417 said:

On 5/18/2022 at 9:02 PM, Pandur said:

On 5/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, Pandur said:

On 5/18/2022 at 9:17 PM, Levent said:

hi

small update for you guys

after several days fighting with ISP

it is finally fixed

after 2 weeks of calling them repeatedly

i got an unexpected call from the ISPs local supervisor and he thanked me for reporting the problem (i was confused at the moment)

then he explained to me what was the problem

turns out there own router was responsible for all the session drops and lags (apparently it was overheating)

after a few days they informed me that the problem should be fixed

right now the connection hasn't been drop for about a week

the modem and the firmware was fine