upgrading a dell workstation to play games: what gpu is better?

got an sff optiplex

want to give it to my little brother for minecraft

should i go for the 1650 low profile or rx 6400 low profile for the gpu?

6400 is ~180usd, 1650 is ~320usd.

the performance seems comparable, userbenchmark shows the gtx as only 15%  faster than 6400, and for the price amd seems more budget friendly.

what should i get? these are the two i've ended up at, unless you know of any other low profile options.

for nearly double the price, the 1650 is not worth it.  I'd get the 6400.

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

for nearly double the price, the 1650 is not worth it.  I'd get the 6400.

so the nvidia software and such isn't better? i thought that nvidia drivers made your card perform better than amd or something

Just now, atramentous said:

so the nvidia software and such isn't better? i thought that nvidia drivers made your card perform better than amd or something

the software is just different.

Any any benchmarks already account for driver performance.

Neither is great, but I’m not sure 15% boost is worth nearly double the price.  That’s high end math not low end math.   Would be if one played games but the other didn’t.   Now a 1650 for a hundred bucks or so (what they sold for before the shortage) would change that quite a bit.  The 1650 may be suffering from shortage pricing whereas the 6400 may not and is merely overpriced for what it is.  I would normally call the 6400 a $70 card. Even though the 6400 price is offensively high it’s not as offensively high as the 1650.  It’s also a lot newer design. The 1650 is kinda ancient.  Even considering a 6400 leaves a bad taste in my mouth though. How old is the kid and what games does he play?  If he’s under 8 and wands to play animal crossing or Stardew valley it just doesn’t matter.  There may be a game or two that the 1650 can handle where the 6400 can’t.  If one of those is his favorite game or something it might be enough to make a difference.  I personally am still sort of shocked the 6400 is slower than the 1650.  AMD blew a real opportunity there.  Make a cable free card faster x than the 1650 and you would automatically have the fastest card that existed in a particular bracket.  I don’t know why they boned that one.  Their newer hardware should be faster with less power.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

cable free card faster x than the 1650 and you would automatically have the fastest card that existed in a particular bracket

yea they really dropped the ball on that one

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

the software is just different.

Any any benchmarks already account for driver performance.

okay thank you

3 minutes ago, atramentous said:

yea they really dropped the ball on that one

It’s sort of saying “here,Intel, it’s ok to be late, have a golden opportunity”. Makes me wonder if there isn’t some sort of operation mincemeat action going on with that one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.