Rtx 40 series upgrade

rippy4500

the latest techlinked video says the 4090 will be double the performance of the 3090, and the rest of the cards will have extra vram.

also i saw a rumored pricing chart with specs, dont remember from exactly where but i saw it multiple places. i saw it in a youtube video and ill link it if i can find it again.

4070- 680 dollars, 12gb, 300w, estimated 15% faster than 3090

4080- 900 dollars, 16gb, 350w, estimated 40% faster than 3090

the rest i dont remember but above the 4080 they are ridiculous anyway, i dont think they showed anything lower than the 4070.

if these rumors are accurate this is gonna be really good, hopefully there isnt scalping like last time. I think mining has crashed and its going back to normal so it will probably be fine.

a 4080 should be like 6 or 7 times faster than my current 970 and i would be able to play literally anything at max settings and high refresh rate with ray tracing and whatever else.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS (Both use no DSC, No HDR, and 8BPC)

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

4 minutes ago, Awesomon2234 said:

if any of this is true then we are about to have a surge in good pc's for cheap. cant wait

$700 for a mid class gpu is cheap? I miss the old days. 

If the 40 series is good it'll definitely get scalped to hell for the first couple of months or so just like Ampere was, just like Pascal. With all the pent up demand might even be worse this time around.

7 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Yeah $330 for GTX 970 / R9 290x offering previous gen flagship performance turned out to be too good to be true. Now PC gaming is a money pit. Not just gpu but motherboard prices have gone to hell too. I kind of wanted to jump on the $160 i5-12400F amazon has but I'd be spending $180 on a board with enough SATA ports to connect all my hard drives to so I think I'm just going to pass on upgrading my Xeon E3-1231v3 system from 2104 and buy an XBox Series X for $500 for playing the XBox/Windows exclusives. I miss when PC gaming was solid for price to performance.

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

as do i. considering a 3070ti is at minimum 700usd, and a 6700XT is around 500usd (which is lower than it was) i think its cheap enough, if its true that its better than a 3090 which (non TI version) go for 1.6kusd MINIMUM, it is a great price (3090TI go for 1.9k usd minimum)

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If the 40 series is good it'll definitely get scalped to hell for the first couple of months or so just like Ampere was, just like Pascal. With all the pent up demand might even be worse this time around.

Im sure it will get scalped but maybe that will allow 30 series and 20series (along with amd 6000 and 5000 series) to decrease even more in price, some are already below MSRP so the lower they get the better i say

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

the 4060 ti will probably be 500 or 600 and perform like a 3080 or 3080 12g the 4060 will probably be 400-500 and perform like a 3070 ti or 3080 so technically it may be a little better value actually, theres just more high end options. 4070 is just a name.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS (Both use no DSC, No HDR, and 8BPC)

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

7 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

the 4060 ti will probably be 500 or 600 and perform like a 3080 or 3080 12g the 4060 will probably be 400-500 and perform like a 3070 ti or 3080 so technically it may be a little better value actually, theres just more high end options. 4070 is just a name.

Sure, but games advance too, not just hardware. So to play new games at the same relative level, I need to spend so much more now. When I bought my voodoo 5 5500 WAY back in the day, I could game at the bleeding edge for a relatively affordable price. If I want to do that today, I need to drop $1000 on a gpu.

Oh well, I guess we had a good 20 year run of decent prices.

21 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Sure, but games advance too, not just hardware. So to play new games at the same relative level, I need to spend so much more now. When I bought my voodoo 5 5500 WAY back in the day, I could game at the bleeding edge for a relatively affordable price. If I want to do that today, I need to drop $1000 on a gpu.

Oh well, I guess we had a good 20 year run of decent prices.

You're forgetting inflation and the sheer fact PCs are so much more complicated than they used to be to manufacture.

We've just had an unprecedented upgrade in PCIe, going to PCIe 4 and almost immediately to PCIe 5 and a new generation of RAM.  Motherboard design has to be so much more precise, needs more layers, to keep the traces as short as possible as were reaching speeds where its REALLY hard to keep signal integrity.  The fact things are still improving at all was not a guarantee once we started reaching the end of Moores Law.

That's before you consider that we still have a huge component shortage, no clue where a fresh supply of Neon is coming from for chip manufacture.  If prices are as above, I think were doing well considering.  Some had predicted PC would have died already as most people moved to smartphones to do their computing.  Plus only us hardcore users even NEED a powerful PC.  When I look at what I'm using compared to people who aren't gamers, a PC from 10-15 years ago is still fast enough for them.

Plus with even higher demand thanks to mining and AI.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You're forgetting inflation and the sheer fact PCs are so much more complicated than they used to be to manufacture.

We've just had an unprecedented upgrade in PCIe, going to PCIe 4 and almost immediately to PCIe 5 and a new generation of RAM.  Motherboard design has to be so much more precise, needs more layers, to keep the traces as short as possible as were reaching speeds where its REALLY hard to keep signal integrity.  The fact things are still improving at all was not a guarantee once we started reaching the end of Moores Law.

That's before you consider that we still have a huge component shortage, no clue where a fresh supply of Neon is coming from for chip manufacture.  If prices are as above, I think were doing well considering.  Some had predicted PC would have died already as most people moved to smartphones to do their computing.  Plus only us hardcore users even NEED a powerful PC.  When I look at what I'm using compared to people who aren't gamers, a PC from 10-15 years ago is still fast enough for them.

Plus with even higher demand thanks to mining and AI.

Inflation doesn't account for a 2X increase. As for being harder to manufacture, that's kind of a bogus answer. The process has also matured so the skill level remainds about equal. Everything has advanced.

BUT, I do agree with the shortage of materials, man power and transportation disruption. I know why the cost has gone up, I am just sad that it has. Luckily, I am in a position that I can afford to spend it if I want to. I know many people are not.

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Inflation doesn't account for a 2X increase. As for being harder to manufacture, that's kind of a bogus answer. The process has also matured so the skill level remainds about equal. Everything has advanced.

The process maturing doesn't necessarily mean its become proportionately cheaper to do something far more complex, it depends how expensive it was to do before.  If you're going from completely uneconomical, then its not unrealistic to expect to need a price increase as well to reach economical.

A good example being 5G and WiFi.  Its employing techniques to improve latency and squeeze out as much bandwidth as possible that weren't economical until relatively recently.  They could do it, but the power consumption, size and price of the hardware would have been far too high.  WiFi 7 will be interesting, as the plan is to go from one radio per client to THREE, that's going to increase costs quite a bit and be difficult I'd expect to fit into small M.2 form factors, never mind phone and tablets.  You can't necessarily just make everything smaller as you run into the laws of physics when trying to cram the same transmission power down smaller traces.

Its not that long ago phones only had 1x1 radios as 2x2 into such a small space requires very fancy antennas.  In fact, some laptops had 3x3 MIMO not that long ago whereas now 2x2 is common due to physical space limitations and cost.  Just look at how fast they claim WiFi can be today with really high MIMO implementations, which pretty much do not exist in client devices.

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

BUT, I do agree with the shortage of materials, man power and transportation disruption. I know why the cost has gone up, I am just sad that it has. Luckily, I am in a position that I can afford to spend it if I want to. I know many people are not.

Indeed, its easy to forget were still a niche market in the great scheme of things.  Smartphones DID replace PCs for a lot of people, that in itself makes me sad and frustrated as many websites have become downright awful to use on PC due to being written purely for mobile.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7