Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RX580 GPU instability but seems to be only in a certain PC

I've had an RX580 4GB card for a few years, never mined on it, bought it new.  Ran it in an ASUS Z77 board with a 3770K overclocked to 4.2 for awhile.  No issues.  I recently was donated an HP omen PC that had an HP board and a 4770K.  Tore out the internals and did a new build, overclocked to 4.1 or 4.2, and put the RX580.  It has a 700-ish watt power supply out of a dell server.

I don't remember exactly when I started having issues, but I first noticed that my monitor (1440P ultrawide on displayport) would seem to flicker and change settings randomly, changing color modes and occasionally have a flash of purple in the screen when watching youtube videos, but very intermittently.  It could go days and be fine.  Gaming seemed fine for the most part except for random crashes (usually just straight up power offs or restarts), which were not frequent (maybe once every 4-7 days).  Sometimes when the PC crashed, it didn't want to restart and would power off during windows boot just after login.  It might do that twice then be fine again for weeks.  

I finally got fed up and tried to get to the bottom of it.  I did some stress testing and found the GPU temp getting a little high (high 80s).  Redid the thermal paste and cleaned the heatsink, brought it down to 79-80C at load.  During stress testing I was able to more frequently get the PC to fault where it would just straight up power off or restart.  At time of one restart, the temps were running 81C.  No blue screens, no instability beforehand, just straight up power off.  Today I tried using the PC and all of the MSI afterburner temp monitoring stopped working and I had a wonky image on the far right side of the screen.  I figured "This is it, its finally over".

I pulled the RX580 and put it back in the Asus Z77 / 3770K build - it works fine.  No flickering, can run stress tests for hours, no instability.

I put an R9 380 card I had lying around into the HP omen 4770K build - no issues either.  No flickering on the ultrawide, no problem with stress tests, no instability.

If it were a power supply issue, I'd expect issues on the R9 380 card, and I wouldn't expect flickering issues in windows with no load.

If it were just a displayport cable issue (which are common) then I'd understand the flickering, but that wouldn't explain the instability.

If it were an issue with the motherboard/PCIE slot, I'd expect the same issues from the 380.

At this point, I'd just like to troubleshoot one/both of these PCs and find the issue so I can either sell them or give them away.  I've already moved on to a new system.  I'd like to get to the bottom of this so that I don't end up passing on problems to someone else.  I'd hate to just throw the RX580 in the trash if theres nothing wrong with it.

I had a similar issue on an msi rx 580, and it did turn out to be temp related. One day it would frequently crash or black screen, especially when gaming. It was running in a solid front case with poo cooling and was reaching high 80 temps really quickly, and im not sure how long that had been going for before i found it. Might have gotten heat damaged.

I'm starting to think it may be an overheating issue, but not the gpu die.  Would these symptoms match overheating vrms or overheating memory?  I could see vrms getting too hot causing the output to crash, but I'm not sure I see it causing the whole pc to turn off.  Then again, maybe it would.