USB 3.2 type C port overcurrent

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

if it runs correctly unplugged, but not plugged in...  then that cable / connector on the case is the problem.

Contact the case manuf see if they can replace it.

Assembled system, recieved 'OVERCURRENT STATUS DETECTED' message on boot. Diagnosed it to be the usb C front header port. 

Have updated bios, have tried re-seating it, and am certain only this port causes the issue.

Am i overlooking any possibility or is this a bum mobo?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KrdrMb

933187462_20220517_1755061.thumb.jpg.0163b37d2d7c7e35e4dec5647e54b82b.jpg

USB is all soldered down stuff coming off the chipset.  I can’t personally think how it could be anything else.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, mr_misc said:

Assembled system, recieved 'OVERCURRENT STATUS DETECTED' message on boot. Diagnosed it to be the usb C front header port. 

Have updated bios, have tried re-seating it, and am certain only this port causes the issue.

Am i overlooking any possibility or is this a bum mobo?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KrdrM

You missed an important detail, is that with it plugged in or as in the photo with it unplugged?

If its while plugged in, faulty front panel connector?
If unplugged, can you see if the socket has any bent connectors?  Check there is no loose screw or something behind the motherboard?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

pic is obviously unplugged yes. Issue is indeed when i plug it in and boot up. I cant think of a way to test if its the front panel connector without another usb C plug but visually no, there are no bent pins or metal contact on it.

if it runs correctly unplugged, but not plugged in...  then that cable / connector on the case is the problem.

Contact the case manuf see if they can replace it.

11 hours ago, mr_misc said:

pic is obviously unplugged yes. Issue is indeed when i plug it in and boot up. I cant think of a way to test if its the front panel connector without another usb C plug but visually no, there are no bent pins or metal contact on it.

If it only happens when plugged in then its pretty safe to assume its something shorting on the front panel.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

dang i hope i dont have to rma the entire case and can rip just the chord out. front io port looks ok.

at least i dont have a bum motherboard (that i know of), thats helpful information

On 5/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

You missed an important detail, is that with it plugged in or as in the photo with it unplugged?

If its while plugged in, faulty front panel connector?
If unplugged, can you see if the socket has any bent connectors?  Check there is no loose screw or something behind the motherboard?

Good catch.  I always forget about front I/O

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.