Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wait for Ada Lovelace or get a 3080 ti?

So I'm in this really frustrating position that I imagine a lot of y'all are in as well.  Where the scalper domination has occupied such a long period of the 30 series's market relevance, that it almost doesn't make sense to upgrade anymore. The year where you can finally get a 30 series card for MSRP, is the same year that Lovelace is coming, so what's the point?  There's a joke with the ps5, that the ps6 will come out before you'll be able to get a ps5. But with graphics cards its almost true. 

I currently have a 2070 super, and want to upgrade to something truly high-end, but my refusal to pay more than MSRP makes it really hard. And now that I'm finally able to get a 3080ti, I'm wondering if it that's actually worth it. Or if I should just wait for Lovelace, and pour every ounce of my existence into monitoring the market and retail options to attempt to get one at MSRP.  I just don't know anymore. Thoughts? Comments? What are you guys planning to do?

With a 2070 super, I'd wait. It's still a solid card, and it doesn't look like the first 40-series cards are far off.

I'm sort of in a similar boat to you. I've got a 2060 Super paired with a Ryzen 9 5900X and a 1440p 170Hz monitor. The GPU is 100% the limiting factor here. Because I like RT and DLSS, I'd prefer to get an Nvidia card as my next upgrade. The goal was to get either a 3070 or 3080, but that was a year ago now. It's looking like MSRP for Nvidia is still at least a month away, and even at that point, I'm not sure it's really worth it. Paying full price for 2 year old technology just tastes wrong.

I gave it a lot of thought about a week ago, looking at my options in the $600-$1200 price range, including considering Radeon cards, and I thought about how my 2060 Super performs in the games that I play today.

My 2060 Super isn't amazing. I only get higher refresh rates in modern titles thanks to DLSS, and it's a requirement to have most games get above 60fps if I use RT. I can only get 60-80fps in Control via DLSS once I turn on medium RT, for example. I was happy when DLSS was added to Rise of the Tomb Raider, because it meant that I could up the quality settings and still get over 100fps at all times. Where I really struggle is games like Halo Infinite, where I don't have DLSS as an option, but I really want to push high framerates to be more competitive.

But when I think about that, ignoring the potential performance the rest of my system offers, I have to come to the conclusion that, honestly, my system is just fine. Yes, I could have more frames and use higher settings, but it's not like I'm struggling to run the games I want to play. So I have to turn down some quality settings? Big deal. And honestly, I don't play competitive shooters that often, and when I do, most of them run really well on the 2060 Super. Halo Infinite is basically the exception, not the rule, when it comes to that genre.

So I think that, unless prices go well south of MSRP - like $500 for a 3080 - it's probably not worth it for me to upgrade until the next generation. And considering that your card is even more powerful than mine, I'm guessing that's an even easier ask for you.