New PC after 10 years

Budget (including currency): <3000€, better 2500€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: primarily gaming, standard Microsoft office applications 

Other details: I got my first PC in June 2012 and after some upgrades it is now time for something new, so with this build I’m looking to catch up to current times. I’m also planning to buy now rather then waiting for the release of the 40 series, cause who knows what that’ll do to the pricing.

This is what I put together: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/zGprMb

The plan is to be able to play recent games at 1440p on a nice monitor (got no clue if the g7 is right for my budget or not) at good fps (120fps@1440p/6fps0@4k?). If 4K is possible at this price point I’ll also take it. 
So what I came here for is to see if there are any mistakes/inefficiencies in my build and to ask which monitor to buy, because I really got no clue.

In terms of brands I don’t really care, it’s more important to good and reliable then overly cheap or expensive. I’m kinda trying to keep my build as black as possible with no rgb, but if it is significantly cheaper to buy other parts then it is what it is. 

If you got any recommendations on a mechanical keyboard and a big mouse I’d be thankful, but I’ll buy those later, so those are not included in the budget.

Also, do I need to buy any cables, or is everything I need included with the parts?

that should be good.

personally i would use ddr5 instead spending 100eur for the noctua fans.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

A good B660 motherboard is a better choice, especially if you'd wanna get something with onboard wifi 6, as the 12600k is gonna boost to 5GHz on it's own without overclocking.  In the current state of PC gaming, overclocking is deader than dead for CPUs and that's the only benefit of z690 for all intents and purposes.

Ditch the 4TB HDD unless you have a specific type of mass storage you need to do.  The 980 pro is also a big waste of money for gaming, a 970 evo is a prertty damn good ssd and a 2TB is about 40% less.  

That's a ton of money for fans, aand if you're looking for quiet, the arctic f12s aren't really audible.  Fans don;t really make that much noise in general, it takes a meter to actually notice the difference a noctua makes and it's VERY trivial.  A 5-pack of arctic F12s is gonna be less than two of those noctuas. 

As for the cooler, there are better coolers for less now.  A scythe FUMA 2 is be half the price of that for better cooling and will look good with the rest of your stuff.

EVGA is also selling the GQ850 on their website right now for half what amazon wants and its a very good 850 watt for the money, nothing fromng with the HX but there's no real benefit for the extra $80 you'd be spending.  Back in 2012 a high end PSU was a must, but high-mid now is better than top-of-the-line was then.  You could also get an ultrawide odyssey G5 for the price of that standard G7 if you're not gonna be running higher than 165fps.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

13 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

that should be good.

personally i would use ddr5 instead spending 100eur for the noctua fans.

Is DDR5 worth it right now, or is it still to early in its lifetime?

I swapped the fans, cooler and SSD as you suggested, but maybe you could give me a more specific recommendation on the motherboard?

8 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

A good B660 motherboard is a better choice, especially if you'd wanna get something with onboard wifi 6, as the 12600k is gonna boost to 5GHz on it's own without overclocking.  In the current state of PC gaming, overclocking is deader than dead for CPUs and that's the only benefit of z690 for all intents and purposes.

The G5 has no g-sync as far as I can tell, does that matter? Otherwise I really like your suggestion to go with the G5.

8 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

You could also get an ultrawide odyssey G5 for the price of that standard G7 if you're not gonna be running higher than 165fps.

2 hours ago, BBlackPPanther said:

I swapped the fans, cooler and SSD as you suggested, but maybe you could give me a more specific recommendation on the motherboard?

The G5 has no g-sync as far as I can tell, does that matter? Otherwise I really like your suggestion to go with the G5.

You don't need a G-Sync monitor to be able to use an Nvidia gpu. Most Freesync monitors will work fine.

3 hours ago, BBlackPPanther said:

Not worth it at the minute. Stick with DDR4.

4 hours ago, BBlackPPanther said:

Right now, it's not, DDR5 scalability is not fully optimized in alder lake. but probably will change in raptor lake (13th gen).

It will save you effort of getting a new mobo in the long run (3+ years).

Ryzen 7000 is around the corner with better ddr5 implementation, if you can wait 3-6 more months.

If you have a plan to upgrade next year, yeah ddr4 probably still ok.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 hours ago, BBlackPPanther said:

Nvidia drivers have worked with freesync since 2018.  Nvidia says gsync is still different but no one can see it.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Right now, it's not, DDR5 scalability is not fully optimized in alder lake. but probably will change in raptor lake (13th gen).

It will save you effort of getting a new mobo in the long run (3+ years).

Ryzen 7000 is around the corner with better ddr5 implementation, if you can wait 3-6 more months.

If you have a plan to upgrade next year, yeah ddr4 probably still ok.

Since I’m planning to keep this PC for a while I’ll guess I should go with DDR5

2 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Nvidia drivers have worked with freesync since 2018.  Nvidia says gsync is still different but no one can see it.  

5 hours ago, lee32uk said:

You don't need a G-Sync monitor to be able to use an Nvidia gpu. Most Freesync monitors will work fine.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, now I’m fully convinced the G5 is the better choice for me.

This is what I arrived at now: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FcqNzf

Im probably going to upgrade the memory when it becomes cheaper. The same build but with DDR4 costs 100€ less, but I think the added upgradability is worth it. But I hope you all can weigh in on that.

Edit: I bumped the memory up to 5200MHz because it only costs 7€ more.

Edited by BBlackPPanther
Minimal change in spec.