Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BIOS update without windows

Ok so I know it's been a bit already and I should have done something earlier but that's not the point right now. I've been (mostly) happily using pop_os on my Lenovo Legion 5 for the last few months, but that also means I am effected by the Lenovo security vulnerability and so should upgrade my BIOS, but I have yet to find out how. I went to the Lenovo site and found my model and the driver section. But here's where the issues start. The driver Update is only available for Windows 10 and 11 and hence in a pe executable and there is no iso to be found. Why am I looking for an iso? Because the tutorials on upgrading a Lenovo bios without using windows all used an iso (or img) but even if i had found one, I'm not sure i would have trusted those guides. Does anyone know what I have to do in order to update (if possible without installing windows) or where else I could get help from? Oh and by the way, I didn't a windows Legion and installed Pop but rather brought one from Lenovo without an OS, so I could ask customer support but i don't have high hopes on that one. Thanks for any help and if it helps I'll put the link to the Lenovo page with the BIOS update below if that helps in any way.

Lenovo Legion Bios

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

why you want a bios update? if the laptop is running fine leave it be.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Conando025 said:

I am effected by the Lenovo security vulnerability

I don't see a Lenovo vulnerability but I see some Intel ones that seem to require physical access or can be performed from the LAN.

 

If you are using this at home these should not be an issue AFAIK.

I find it bizarre they do not have a way to install the BIOS via a USB stick though.

 

Even if there is a way to do it from Linux I'd be extremely wary of doing it an unofficial way.

Router:  Intel Celeron N5105 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Conando025 said:

Ok so I know it's been a bit already and I should have done something earlier but that's not the point right now. I've been (mostly) happily using pop_os on my Lenovo Legion 5 for the last few months, but that also means I am effected by the Lenovo security vulnerability and so should upgrade my BIOS, but I have yet to find out how. I went to the Lenovo site and found my model and the driver section. But here's where the issues start. The driver Update is only available for Windows 10 and 11 and hence in a pe executable and there is no iso to be found. Why am I looking for an iso? Because the tutorials on upgrading a Lenovo bios without using windows all used an iso (or img) but even if i had found one, I'm not sure i would have trusted those guides. Does anyone know what I have to do in order to update (if possible without installing windows) or where else I could get help from? Oh and by the way, I didn't a windows Legion and installed Pop but rather brought one from Lenovo without an OS, so I could ask customer support but i don't have high hopes on that one. Thanks for any help and if it helps I'll put the link to the Lenovo page with the BIOS update below if that helps in any way.

Lenovo Legion Bios

In order to upgrade the bios, you can use Freedos …😉

 

How to upgrade your system BIOS using FreeDOS

Edited by FUIT1985
How to upgrade your system BIOS using FreeDOS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 11:18 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't see a Lenovo vulnerability but I see some Intel ones that seem to require physical access or can be performed from the LAN.

 

If you are using this at home these should not be an issue AFAIK.

I find it bizarre they do not have a way to install the BIOS via a USB stick though.

 

Even if there is a way to do it from Linux I'd be extremely wary of doing it an unofficial way.

Well I found this https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/LEN-73440 and so feel better with the update but I agree that any unofficial way is probably putting me at greater risk then the actual vulnerabilities.
Still thanks to everyone that responded

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Conando025 said:

Well I found this https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/LEN-73440 and so feel better with the update but I agree that any unofficial way is probably putting me at greater risk then the actual vulnerabilities.
Still thanks to everyone that responded

freedos is the official operating system for professional mobile workstations, such as hp zbook.

It is installed by the manufacturer for the consumer who does not want to purchase a Windows license.

In this way the consumer can update the bios.

In any case, I am happy that you have solved the problem. 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×