Good Metroidvanias with modern Graphics?

whm1974

So far I played and enjoyed two of them(AFAIK), Salt and Sanctuary and Blasphemous. For PC of course. None of this 8- Bit and 16-Bit Retro Graphics stuff please. If I wanted that I could buy the ROMs and used an Emulator for those old systems instead. I can buy those right?

Hollow knight is one of my favourites. It's good for casual playthroughs and also has a lot of content and possibilities if you're more into harder challenges.

About the roms thing I don't think there's any legitimate way of buying older roms nowadays outside of things like Nintendo Virtual Console for the Switch or that Playstation thing they just created to replace PS+ which I can't remember the name of.

Dark Souls and Control immediately spring to mind.

And now a word from our sponsor:Β πŸ’©

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

α‘α‘Œα‘α‘’

Spoiler

Β  Β  β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€

Β  β–„β–ˆβ–€Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆ

β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆ

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ Β β–„β–ˆβ–€Β  β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ

Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆ

Β  β–€β–ˆβ–„Β  Β  β–€β–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–€Β  Β  Β β–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β  Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β  Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€

Β  Β  Β  Β β–„β–ˆΒ β–„β–„Β  Β  Β Β β–„β–ˆβ–„Β Β β–ˆβ–€Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–„Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ Β β–„β–€

Β  Β  Β  Β β–€Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  β–„β–ˆ

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–„Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β  Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–„

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–ˆβ–ˆ β–„β–ˆβ–ˆ

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  β–„β–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆΒ β–ˆβ–ˆΒ Β β–„β–ˆ

Β  Β  Β  Β  β–ˆβ–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  β–„β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ  Β β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–„β–ˆβ–ˆΒ Β β–ˆβ–ˆΒ Β β–ˆβ–ˆ

Β  Β  Β  Β  β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β  β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–„Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€Β  Β  Β β–€β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–€ β–„β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–„

Β 

2 minutes ago, Rpetey317 said:

Hollow knight is one of my favourites. It's good for casual playthroughs and also has a lot of content and possibilities if you're more into harder challenges.

About the roms thing I don't think there's any legitimate way of buying older roms nowadays outside of things like Nintendo Virtual Console for the Switch or that Playstation thing they just created to replace PS+ which I can't remember the name of.

Thanks. I was just looking at Hollow Knight. Was thinking about Shovel Knight but when did the first one came out? Thought it was simply Hollow Knight...

Β 

5 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Dark Souls and Control immediately spring to mind.

For Linux? Forgot to mention I use Linux along with Proton(Steam Play).

27 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

Ender Lilies

Was just watching this Video:

And Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night looks good. I may get get that one.

11 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So far I played and enjoyed two of them(AFAIK), Salt and Sanctuary and Blasphemous. For PC of course. None of this 8- Bit and 16-Bit Retro Graphics stuff please. If I wanted that I could buy the ROMs and used an Emulator for those old systems instead. I can buy those right?

Blasphemous blurs the line between a Metroidvania and a 2D Souls-like.

Salt and Sanctuary is a full on 2D Souls-like.

Β 

So yeah, maybe you should try getting into the Souls games, if you haven't already.

Β 

I don't understand why the hate against retro-styled games; yes, graphics-wise you could emulate old games. But it's different content, mechanics, ease of use, QoL, better controls... there've been a ton of improvements since the 16-bit era in areas other than graphics.

The best non-Metroid Metroid game (no "vania") is Axiom Verge, and graphics-wise that thing is 16bit all the way. Still a fantastic game.

7 hours ago, Rauten said:

Blasphemous blurs the line between a Metroidvania and a 2D Souls-like.

Salt and Sanctuary is a full on 2D Souls-like.

Β 

So yeah, maybe you should try getting into the Souls games, if you haven't already.

Β 

I don't understand why the hate against retro-styled games; yes, graphics-wise you could emulate old games. But it's different content, mechanics, ease of use, QoL, better controls... there've been a ton of improvements since the 16-bit era in areas other than graphics.

The best non-Metroid Metroid game (no "vania") is Axiom Verge, and graphics-wise that thing is 16bit all the way. Still a fantastic game.

I don't see the point of using Retro Graphics to begin with. Yes there are other improvements in addiction to Modern Graphics. What is next, bring back CGA with only 4 colors?

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

I don't see the point of using Retro Graphics to begin with. Yes there are other improvements in addiction to Modern Graphics. What is next, bring back CGA with only 4 colors?

I don't see the point of paintings. We have photography now.Β 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.Β  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Β 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, Middcore said:

I don't see the point of paintings. We have photography now.Β 

Paintings are a Form of Art. It takes time and skill to do a good Painting.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Paintings are a Form of Art. It takes time and skill to do a good Painting.

Whoosh.

Β 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.Β  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Β 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16