PC keeps disconnecting from wifi

ShockWave181

PC Specs : 

ROG STRIX B560-I GAMING WIFI
Intel i5 11400F
Nvidia RTX 2060
Cooler Master V650 SFX PSU
2x8 GB DDR4 3200MHz

Every time I tried to play online games or download something from the internet, my pc just keeps disconnecting itself from the wifi, even though the wifi is working perfectly. But weirdly when I'm just surfing through the internet, like watching youtube, having a voice call on discord, etc, it doesn't disconnect at all. 

This started not too long ago on May 11, roughly a week or two after I built this PC

PS : If you're suggesting me to use a LAN cable instead of a wifi, I'm sorry but that option is not possible.

Make sure you have the latest Intel wifi driver installed, which is version 22.130.0.5 today.

Some older versions have had issues with dropping the link.

If you have a low-ish signal strength it is also not unheard of that the link will drop with high traffic. This is normal behaviour for wifi. So if the driver update does not fix this, you might have to look at how good your signal really is.

10 minutes ago, Pandur said:

Make sure you have the latest Intel wifi driver installed, which is version 22.130.0.5 today.

Some older versions have had issues with dropping the link.

If you have a low-ish signal strength it is also not unheard of that the link will drop with high traffic. This is normal behaviour for wifi. So if the driver update does not fix this, you might have to look at how good your signal really is.

I've checked the version for my wifi driver and it's the exact same one. As for the wifi signal, it's already on full bar.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 211314.png

The current driver is a good start. Full bars means close to nothing. It just shows the signal strength, not the quality of the connection.

Open the Windows Settings app. Go to Network & Internet. Click Properties on your Wifi network. Check link speed. Make sure both are similar. Depending on your router the actual "correct" speed will vary. For 5GHz AC the max is 866Mbit. I don't remember AX off the top of my head. This should be the basis for your signal bars, but if transmit is much lower than receive it can be deceiving and hide an issue. Your router has a stronger transmitter than your device, so a low transmit means you actually have a poor signal even with high bars.

Now for some basic ping testing. Open powershell/command prompt.

Type ipconfig

Press enter

Notice the Default Gateway ip address. A typical default gateway address for a home network is 192.168.0.1, but it can be something else. You will also see some IPv6 addresses that are hex, starting with fe80. But just use the IPv4 address.

Type ping -t <default gateway ip address>

Note: replace all of <default gateway ip address> with the ip number, don't keep <>

Press enter

That command will start a constant ping to your router. Leave it running for a good while. Give it a good 15 minutes or more preferably. You can also leave it running while you use the computer. We want the packets result below in the thousands or more.

When you have had enough, hit ctrl+c. This will stop the test and show some results, like this:

Ping statistics for <default gateway ip address>:
    Packets: Sent = X, Received = Y, Lost = Z (% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = Ams, Maximum = Bms, Average = Cms

Packets Lost is important. This should ideally be 0. But for wifi that is basically impossible. So check the %. You want <1% to 2% tops. 2% is high enough to be a problem with high load traffic, like yours.

Then you have the ping latency. Focus on the maximum result.

If you want to, post your results and @ me. I will do my best to take a look. I am not on here constantly though. Good luck.