Cannot find the user folder on unbootable windows drive.

jake765111

I have been trying to recover data from a windows 11 laptop that was stuck in a boot loop. However when I plug the drive into my computer I can only see the users, administrator and public. 

I have tried viewing hidden files but they where empty. 

I have done this process many times on windows 10 so I'm a little perplexed why I can't see my user folder. 

Its a 512G m.2 intel octane drive. Shows mostly full, so I know its on there somewhere. 

Any suggestions? TIA!

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.16.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.17.12 AM.png

Did I fix your problem? Please feel free to donate to me at <Link Removed> 

Any donation is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My pc - PCPartPicker part list 

-> Moved to Troubleshooting 

Did you look in the folders? Sometimes especially on prebuilts the Administrator folder is used.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Check the size of the folders. Start by checking the size of the user folder itself. It is possible to move the user folder elsewhere, so that could not be the actually used location.

I did check the folders. The admin one has 200mb of files but that was it. others are empty. 

I also searched the whole drive for a folder with my username. 

Was that the only drive in the system?

You might want to use a tool like grandperspective to graphically see where space is used

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Was that the only drive in the system?

You might want to use a tool like grandperspective to graphically see where space is used

Yes its only one drive. 

Ok, ill check it out. Thanks!

Had the same issue a few years ago trying to copy drive contents from an old Laptop (Win10) to a new one (Win 10). I tried looking at the contents with ubuntu to sort what I needed and what not while setting up the new machine but I wasn't able to see the files (basically what you described). So I just waited until the new one was set up and connected the old drive via a SATA to USB adapter to the new Laptop and I could see and copy without any issues.

Which lead me to believe that you cannot access everything on a Windows drive without using Windows. I could be wrong but that's what I thought after trying a few things with ubuntu and nothing worked but when I used windows I didn't have any issues.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Yep that would be the next step, use a Windows machine and not a mac.

F@H

GPD Win 2

41 minutes ago, Montana One-Six said:

Had the same issue a few years ago trying to copy drive contents from an old Laptop (Win10) to a new one (Win 10). I tried looking at the contents with ubuntu to sort what I needed and what not while setting up the new machine but I wasn't able to see the files (basically what you described). So I just waited until the new one was set up and connected the old drive via a SATA to USB adapter to the new Laptop and I could see and copy without any issues.

Which lead me to believe that you cannot access everything on a Windows drive without using Windows. I could be wrong but that's what I thought after trying a few things with ubuntu and nothing worked but when I used windows I didn't have any issues.

Good point. Neither the Linux nor MacOS NTFS drivers are perfect. Encryption is also a possibility.

On 5/17/2022 at 11:02 AM, Pandur said:

Good point. Neither the Linux nor MacOS NTFS drivers are perfect. Encryption is also a possibility.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, Kilrah said:

Yep that would be the next step, use a Windows machine and not a mac.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:19 AM, Montana One-Six said:

Ok. Thankyou everyone!