Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Temps too hot whilst playing games?

So I recently got a 3070 and installed it into my PC. Ive been playing around with it and I just decided to replay Borderlands 3 (Obviously with Ultra settings and the works on 2560x1440p). However my old Ryzen 5 1600 is well to say the least very hot whilst I play it. It does have the stock cooler however it isnt at 100% usage its around ... 70 or so percent usage. 

The temp my CPU gets seems to be a consistent 82 degrees Celsius and the GPU is around 80 and it is noticeably louder. I am going to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 5 5600x when I can but thats in a few months. Im just wondering if that temperature is okay really for the CPU? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

82c is fine for CPU, as long as it doesn't get much higher during a test like Prime95 Small FFTs. The GPU temps depend on what GPU it is (AMD GPU's can get very hot before throttling while it would be close to throttling on Nvidia)

GPU Powercolor RX 6600 | CPU i5-10400F Motherboard B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200 | Storage MX500 500gb, Barracuda 2tb | PSU RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Case Some cheap Antec Monitor AOC C24G2U | Mouse G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad QCK Edge XL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

82c is fine for CPU, as long as it doesn't get much higher during a test like Prime95 Small FFTs. The GPU temps depend on what GPU it is (AMD GPU's can get very hot before throttling while it would be close to throttling on Nvidia)

So the CPU is perfectly fine aslong as it stays at around that temp? The GPU I have is an RTX 3070 FE so just straight from Nvidia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

So the CPU is perfectly fine aslong as it stays at around that temp? The GPU I have is an RTX 3070 FE so just straight from Nvidia.

Yes. I wouldn't worry under 80, and between 80-85 I would just keep an eye on it so it won't get too hot. 

 

That GPU starts throttling at 83c, so 80c is pretty close to that (maybe it is already throttling). Does removing the side panel help anything with thermals?

GPU Powercolor RX 6600 | CPU i5-10400F Motherboard B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200 | Storage MX500 500gb, Barracuda 2tb | PSU RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Case Some cheap Antec Monitor AOC C24G2U | Mouse G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad QCK Edge XL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Yes. I wouldn't worry under 80, and between 80-85 I would just keep an eye on it so it won't get too hot. 

 

That GPU starts throttling at 83c, so 80c is pretty close to that (maybe it is already throttling). Does removing the side panel help anything with thermals?

Okay thats good! You have any CPU cooler recommendations by the way that I could use for my 1600 right now and my 5600x when I can buy it? 

Thats a great idea actually! I'll take the side panel off and retry the same game later when I am free and i'll update to see how it goes. The GPU does get heavy on the usage its like around 97 or so percent. And it seems to stay consistent on 80 degrees. Im not really certain how to keep the GPU anymore cooler asides from that idea you gave to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

Okay thats good! You have any CPU cooler recommendations by the way that I could use for my 1600 right now and my 5600x when I can buy it? 

Thats a great idea actually! I'll take the side panel off and retry the same game later when I am free and i'll update to see how it goes. The GPU does get heavy on the usage its like around 97 or so percent. And it seems to stay consistent on 80 degrees. Im not really certain how to keep the GPU anymore cooler asides from that idea you gave to be honest.

Arctic Freezer 34 would work great. It's usually pretty cheap and really not that much worse than coolers triple the price. Another good option is the Hyper 212 Black Edition. I have that one myself too and it's pretty good, but the Freezer 34 should be a little better but also slightly more expensive usually.

 

Have you tried undervolting the GPU? I'm not familiar with undervolting on Nvidia cards, but this guide should help. You should also be able to undervolt the CPU.

 

GPU Powercolor RX 6600 | CPU i5-10400F Motherboard B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200 | Storage MX500 500gb, Barracuda 2tb | PSU RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Case Some cheap Antec Monitor AOC C24G2U | Mouse G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad QCK Edge XL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

You have any CPU cooler recommendations

My 2 cents, as @Pixelfiealready mentioned Arctic Freezer 34 and Hyper 212 would get the job done just fine.
I'll recommend another solution that is cheaper and has RGB 😄 : Wraith Prism 2nd hand.
It can be found for 20-30$ , you can even find unused ones with pre-applied paste still on them because that cooler comes with mid-high tier of Ryzen CPUs and owners of those often buy even beefier coolers from the start. It will handle both 1600 and 5600x later just fine.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

82c is fine for CPU, as long as it doesn't get much higher during a test like Prime95 Small FFTs.

while this is generally a good idea, but if OP would NEVER load the CPU that heavy, it's fine as is

 

as for the GPU, u can check casing airflow by removing side panel, or just undervolt the GPU

i undervolt mine anyways, around 85% power limit, u wont see any diff in games, but the temps and noise goes way down

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 2:46 PM, Pixelfie said:

Have you tried undervolting the GPU? I'm not familiar with undervolting on Nvidia cards, but this guide should help. You should also be able to undervolt the CPU.

I did the undervolting but im not certain it made a difference? Ive never really used MSI Afterburner before. Do I need to do this everytime I load my PC as on the vid you change the core clock to -250mhz and you make the mem clock +800 but when I load up afterburner both are 0 again.

Also I tried my PC with my side panel off and it seems that when its on the CPU is 82 and the GPU is about 80 and when the side panel is off the CPU is 65 and the GPU is 74 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

I did the undervolting but im not certain it made a difference? Ive never really used MSI Afterburner before. Do I need to do this everytime I load my PC as on the vid you change the core clock to -250mhz and you make the mem clock +800 but when I load up afterburner both are 0 again.

Also I tried my PC with my side panel off and it seems that when its on the CPU is 82 and the GPU is about 80 and when the side panel is off the CPU is 65 and the GPU is 74 

If you press the Windows logo in Afterburner it will load every time you start your pc. Then you don't have to do everything again every time.

 

That's clearly an airflow issue. What case do you have and how many fans?

GPU Powercolor RX 6600 | CPU i5-10400F Motherboard B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200 | Storage MX500 500gb, Barracuda 2tb | PSU RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Case Some cheap Antec Monitor AOC C24G2U | Mouse G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad QCK Edge XL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

If you press the Windows logo in Afterburner it will load every time you start your pc. Then you don't have to do everything again every time.

 

That's clearly an airflow issue. What case do you have and how many fans?

So has it saved the profile I made for the undervolt though? As if you see in the picture the core clock and mem clock are 0. So Do I have to undervolt it again? 

 

Yeah honestly I am not surprised. My case is a Phanteks Eclipse P350X and the only fans really is the one built in and a stock Ryzen 5 1600 uhhh... wraith stealth I think its called? I plan on getting two Noctua P14 redux 1500RPM ones for the front and replacing the built in one. Then maybe a Noctua P12 redux 1700RPM for the back. Suggestions are always helpful! This is my first kinda PC build I have done solo and im using some old parts from my prior build I got gifted. 

MSI.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, XxRescueRabbitxX said:

So has it saved the profile I made for the undervolt though? As if you see in the picture the core clock and mem clock are 0. So Do I have to undervolt it again? 

 

Yeah honestly I am not surprised. My case is a Phanteks Eclipse P350X and the only fans really is the one built in and a stock Ryzen 5 1600 uhhh... wraith stealth I think its called? I plan on getting two Noctua P14 redux 1500RPM ones for the front and replacing the built in one. Then maybe a Noctua P12 redux 1700RPM for the back. Suggestions are always helpful! This is my first kinda PC build I have done solo and im using some old parts from my prior build I got gifted. 

MSI.jpg

Can't really tell by the picture as clock screens should be the same (though some prefer to slightly underclock). But if you see power usage being lower than before you know the undervolt works.

 

How much do the fans cost in total? Usually Noctua fans are pretty expensive and if spending that much it might be a better option to just get a better case. Another option would be the Arctic P14/P12 or F14/F12. They are usually much cheaper and still really good

GPU Powercolor RX 6600 | CPU i5-10400F Motherboard B460M Pro4Memory HyperX Fury RGB 16gb 3200 | Storage MX500 500gb, Barracuda 2tb | PSU RM650x (2018) CPU cooler Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Case Some cheap Antec Monitor AOC C24G2U | Mouse G703 HeroKeyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Arctis 3 (2019)Mousepad QCK Edge XL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×