Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC turns off and never powered on again (2nd time)

Go to solution Solved by Indian pc builder,

try sending the motherboard in for rma with asus? it should be under warranty assuming it was new and asus has great service across the globe so they should be able to get it fixed

plus, if they are able to diagnose the problem by looking at the motherboard, it should give you a clue to what is causing it, 

also do you have the pc hooked up to a ups?

My PC just powered off suddenly, as if it was unplugged from the wall outlet, but the RGB lights on the motherboard are still lit. I tried to press the power button, but nothing happens. This happened exactly a month ago.

My previous motherboard's 12v EPS pins are shorted, so I think my PSU's SCP is triggered, which prevents it from turning on. This time, I didn't check what the problem is.

My system's specs are:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

• Old Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5

• New Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

• RAM: T-force Vulcan TUF Gaming Aliiance 32GB 3600MHz (Running at 3066MHz)

• Storage: Adata SX8200 256GB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + TForce Delta Max 1TB + 2x 2TB Barracuda Compute

• GPU: Colorful iGame RTX 2070 Super Advanced OC

• PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

The recent changes to my system before the first motherboard broke are:

• Added a 12v 4 pin RGB strip (400mm)

• Added 2 Phanteks Halos (RGB Light Ring for fans)

• Upgraded RAM, old RAM was a 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666MHz

• Set RAM speed to 3066MHz 16-18-18-38, since the CPU can't go 3600MHz 19-19-19-39.

What could have caused this?

My guess are:

• Faulty PSU? 2 motherboards breaking within a month, a coincidence? Thou my other components were not affected last time.

• RAM settings? Issue with RAM running at 3066MHz?

• RGB lights? Latest upgrade/mod, but I doubt this was the cause, it should have only broke the RGB header.

• Motherboard has factory defects?

31 minutes ago, milesuy said:

My PC just powered off suddenly, as if it was unplugged from the wall outlet, but the RGB lights on the motherboard are still lit. I tried to press the power button, but nothing happens. This happened exactly a month ago.

My previous motherboard's 12v EPS pins are shorted, so I think my PSU's SCP is triggered, which prevents it from turning on. This time, I didn't check what the problem is.

My system's specs are:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

• Old Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5

• New Motherboard: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

• RAM: T-force Vulcan TUF Gaming Aliiance 32GB 3600MHz (Running at 3066MHz)

• Storage: Adata SX8200 256GB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + TForce Delta Max 1TB + 2x 2TB Barracuda Compute

• GPU: Colorful iGame RTX 2070 Super Advanced OC

• PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

The recent changes to my system before the first motherboard broke are:

• Added a 12v 4 pin RGB strip (400mm)

• Added 2 Phanteks Halos (RGB Light Ring for fans)

• Upgraded RAM, old RAM was a 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666MHz

• Set RAM speed to 3066MHz 16-18-18-38, since the CPU can't go 3600MHz 19-19-19-39.

What could have caused this?

My guess are:

• Faulty PSU? 2 motherboards breaking within a month, a coincidence? Thou my other components were not affected last time.

• RAM settings? Issue with RAM running at 3066MHz?

• RGB lights? Latest upgrade/mod, but I doubt this was the cause, it should have only broke the RGB header.

• Motherboard has factory defects?

From

the looks of things I would doubt that the psu is faulty, the ram shouldn’t cause issues, same with rgb so the only explanation is faulty mobos or something wrong with the cpu which is highly unlikely 

see it’s a seasonic psu so it’s not bad quality, and your you would also be broken if it was the psu, you could be plugging in something wrong, 

check the motherboard mounts and where all the stand offs are as they could be sticking into the back if it isn’t shielded or you have an extra standoff sticking into the back of the motherboard

also try to turn it on by shorting the power pins, it may be a faulty button  

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

17 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

From

the looks of things I would doubt that the psu is faulty, the ram shouldn’t cause issues, same with rgb so the only explanation is faulty mobos or something wrong with the cpu which is highly unlikely 

see it’s a seasonic psu so it’s not bad quality, and your you would also be broken if it was the psu, you could be plugging in something wrong, 

check the motherboard mounts and where all the stand offs are as they could be sticking into the back if it isn’t shielded or you have an extra standoff sticking into the back of the motherboard

also try to turn it on by shorting the power pins, it may be a faulty button  

I tried checking the stand offs and they are correctly positioned.

The case is a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG. Its completely painted, so I dont think the motherboard can be shorted if it touches the case.

I also tried using a screw driver to short the power button pin on the motherboard, but nothing happened. I also don't think its the power button, since the PC suddenly powered off while I was using it, the same thing that happened on the first motherboard.

try sending the motherboard in for rma with asus? it should be under warranty assuming it was new and asus has great service across the globe so they should be able to get it fixed

plus, if they are able to diagnose the problem by looking at the motherboard, it should give you a clue to what is causing it, 

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

7 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

No, I don't use a UPS, only an AVR (Voltage Regulator) and a surge protector.

I had it sent for RMA, and they said it was my PSU who's breaking the motherboard.

Now I got a new motherboard and PSU, I hope my PC won't break again.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:54 AM, milesuy said:

I had it sent for RMA, and they said it was my PSU who's breaking the motherboard.

Now I got a new motherboard and PSU, I hope my PC won't break again.

well, good for you