Ping issues with online gaming

Angeri

When I switched from BT to EE my ping in League of Legends Euw went from 20ms to 40ms even though I did not move locations. I accepted this and moved on assuming it was just my Internet being worse since it is cheaper (although it's the same Mbps). Though recently I've been having occasional games where my ping was stable at 20ms again for one game then back to 40ms again and it's gotten my hopes up that I can achieve that 20ms again. 

My question is if there is actually anything I can do to get that 20ms consistently again or am I just coinflipping everytime? 

I am on Windows 10, I'm not sure any of my pc specs are relevant here 

Just realised I put this in the wrong area and I don't know how to delete it

46 minutes ago, Angeri said:

When I switched from BT to EE my ping in League of Legends Euw went from 20ms to 40ms even though I did not move locations. I accepted this and moved on assuming it was just my Internet being worse since it is cheaper (although it's the same Mbps). Though recently I've been having occasional games where my ping was stable at 20ms again for one game then back to 40ms again and it's gotten my hopes up that I can achieve that 20ms again. 

My question is if there is actually anything I can do to get that 20ms consistently again or am I just coinflipping everytime? 

That just sounds like an ISP issue, not really a lot you can do, unfortunately

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

50 minutes ago, Angeri said:

Ethernet or wifi?

EE is owned by BT, so you are using (a lot of) the same hardware once it leaves your premises.

One of the biggest issues with UK ISP's is the absolute piles of crap they send out as modem/router/AP/switch combos*.

Check EE's support pages and see if the settings they require you to use can be put into your old hardware from BT to eliminate that as a cause, probably a long shot though. If it doesn't work you can either "invest" in some of your own hardware (1), or be persistent with EE tech support (2).

(1) The cheapest stuff, in all good conscience, I can recommend are DrayTek, but don't go buying some all in one wonder unit, just get the bit you need right now, which is the modem/router part (just router if you are FTTP), you can set-up whatever hardware was sent through the post do to the AP/switching, and you can bypass the wireless part for testing if you have to.

(2) Make EE tech do their job, articulate the problem, be polite, follow their instructions, but point out "you are BT" and make sure they know you are trying to avoid cancelling your contract due to "mis-sale", which is your right, gets recorded by the industry watchdogs, and should move the conversation beyond "have you tried turning it off and back on again": It is entirely possible you were just sent faulty hardware by accident, or it could be under-investment in their back end infrastructure (if they've not been fully absorbed by BT by now) meaning they are "supplying a sub standard service".

Either way, you aren't tied to them forever, and if you do have to kick them to the curb I'd recommend IDNet.

*Think how much actual currency is involved when you are tied to a 12/18 month @£30 contract, how much of that is operating costs, how much is profit, and how much they are really willing to spend on the box they post to you in the mail, unregistered I might add, won't need to sign for it, call tech and tell them "the lights don't come on anymore" and they'll send you a new one without hesitation, because that is cheaper than paying for some poor (not as in monetarily!) call centre worker to do actual diagnostics with you over the phone.