The fan is rated at 12V 0.3A, do you think a charging module that could do 12V 1.5A output will work?

I have a stupid idea of cooling my phone with a M.2 active cooling heat sink and the fan is rated at 12V 0.3A. Then, When I was searching for a charger for my brother because he lost his when he was on vacation and I saw the 18w charger could do 12v 1.5a. Do you think the charger could power the fan through a Qualcomm quick charge or Power delivery 3.0 Type-C module? 

Yes and no.

The fan's nominal voltage (the voltage the fan is 'most happy' at) is 12v but will work at lower voltages, but making the fan spin slower.

The 0.3A is the current, how much current the fan will take from the power source. If you power it  with a power supply that can supply 10A of current, the fan will still take only 0.3A

Anyway... the charger can output UP TO 12v, but something needs to tell the charger to bump up the voltage from the default 5v to 12v ... by default, the charger needs to output 5v for safety just in case you plug other things in it. There must be "some brains" (in your phone the battery management chip) to tell the charger to increase voltage to 12v.

If you connect the fan directly to the charger, the charger will give the fan 5v, and depending on the fan it may start and spin but at very slow speed.

It's not stupid if it works, but as above. Yet....

YOU ARE PLAYING WITH HIGH-ENOUGH WATTAGE TO MAKE SOME SPARKS, SMOKES OR EVEN *POOF* ON YOUR ELECTRONICS. You have been warned, so do it at your own risk. I suggest to always test it on USB tester/else before you even plug it in onto your phone.

You could design some power conversion circuit like so.

image.png.3b8c7ec48cd0d5f1401cc57d54adf64f.png

See below for more details about the PD/QC trigger board. When you wanna get it, just pick whether protocol (PD/QC) you use on the marketplace.

As for the power that will go to the phone, what's the phone you use? Refer to the maximum charging voltage-current that it supports. Depending on your phone, it might support either 5/9V instead of 12V.

It'd be a lot safer to use separate power supply tbh, as fans can sometimes take inconsistent wattage, which both your power brick and phone won't like much.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

8 hours ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

It's not stupid if it works, but as above. Yet....

YOU ARE PLAYING WITH HIGH-ENOUGH WATTAGE TO MAKE SOME SPARKS, SMOKES OR EVEN *POOF* ON YOUR ELECTRONICS. You have been warned, so do it at your own risk. I suggest to always test it on USB tester/else before you even plug it in onto your phone.

You could design some power conversion circuit like so.

image.png.3b8c7ec48cd0d5f1401cc57d54adf64f.png

See below for more details about the PD/QC trigger board. When you wanna get it, just pick whether protocol (PD/QC) you use on the marketplace.

As for the power that will go to the phone, what's the phone you use? Refer to the maximum charging voltage-current that it supports. Depending on your phone, it might support either 5/9V instead of 12V.

It'd be a lot safer to use separate power supply tbh, as fans can sometimes take inconsistent wattage, which both your power brick and phone won't like much.

Oh, I wont be charging the phone along with the fan but thanks for the lecture btw! Maybe my grammar isnt that that good. 

4 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Oh, I wont be charging the phone along with the fan but thanks for the lecture btw!

Oh, you could simply use that PD/QC trigger board then, and you're good to go, even use the one with switch that you can change the speed by changing the voltage.

5 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Maybe my grammar isnt that that good. 

Nah, as long as the language's understandable anyway. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

Yes and no.

The fan's nominal voltage (the voltage the fan is 'most happy' at) is 12v but will work at lower voltages, but making the fan spin slower.

The 0.3A is the current, how much current the fan will take from the power source. If you power it  with a power supply that can supply 10A of current, the fan will still take only 0.3A

Anyway... the charger can output UP TO 12v, but something needs to tell the charger to bump up the voltage from the default 5v to 12v ... by default, the charger needs to output 5v for safety just in case you plug other things in it. There must be "some brains" (in your phone the battery management chip) to tell the charger to increase voltage to 12v.

If you connect the fan directly to the charger, the charger will give the fan 5v, and depending on the fan it may start and spin but at very slow speed.

So a 12V power supply with is more preferable? I found this so i think it will work?