What's reporting the wrong temperature?

I have a Kraken Z73 water radiator on my Ryzen  5950x processor. At idle with no Kraken software installed or loaded into memory it display just the standard CPU temp which at idle is 38C. When I load the NZXT software the CPU temp will increase by 10C. What should I believe. I have downloaded the utility CORE TEMP which supports my CPU for temperature and that will show whatever the Kraken digital display shows. So if I reboot my idle temp goes back down to 38C, even with trying the CORE TEMP software. Just wondering why the software is increasing my CPU temp? Everything is cooled properly as I have a Lian Li case with 9 Noctua fans going. Cool air in from the bottom and hot air exhaust to the rear and top.

13 minutes ago, MichaelDiggs said:

I have a Kraken Z73 water radiator on my Ryzen  5950x processor. At idle with no Kraken software installed or loaded into memory it display just the standard CPU temp which at idle is 38C. When I load the NZXT software the CPU temp will increase by 10C. What should I believe. I have downloaded the utility CORE TEMP which supports my CPU for temperature and that will show whatever the Kraken digital display shows. So if I reboot my idle temp goes back down to 38C, even with trying the CORE TEMP software. Just wondering why the software is increasing my CPU temp? Everything is cooled properly as I have a Lian Li case with 9 Noctua fans going. Cool air in from the bottom and hot air exhaust to the rear and top.

Does the cooler display 38c? Or something else? 

When you load cam does it say 48c? Or does the cooler's screen say 48c? or do they both say 38c/48c?

You are not providing enough info for anyone to tell you for sure what you're seeing. 

There are multiple probes the CPU reads for temp. Different software will read different sensors. And different sensors will provide different data based on what the CPU is doing. 

On top of that, loading an app will load the CPU, it should drop back down to around 40c; if it stays at 48c, I would assume it is reading a different sensor. But again, not enough info. 

Install Ryzen Master to see what temperature it shows and if it matches in the other software.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

On 5/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, Ty2525 said:

Does the cooler display 38c? Or something else? 

When you load cam does it say 48c? Or does the cooler's screen say 48c? or do they both say 38c/48c?

You are not providing enough info for anyone to tell you for sure what you're seeing. 

There are multiple probes the CPU reads for temp. Different software will read different sensors. And different sensors will provide different data based on what the CPU is doing. 

On top of that, loading an app will load the CPU, it should drop back down to around 40c; if it stays at 48c, I would assume it is reading a different sensor. But again, not enough info. 

I answered all your questions in my first post. Pretty easy. No software loaded, the temp is lower. Install the software, the temp goes up.

On 5/17/2022 at 8:22 AM, alyen said:

Install Ryzen Master to see what temperature it shows and if it matches in the other software.

I may have this installed. If I do not, I'll give it check.

17 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

I answered all your questions in my first post. Pretty easy. No software loaded, the temp is lower. Install the software, the temp goes up.

"No software loaded, the temp is lower. Install the software, the temp goes up."

" When I load the NZXT software the CPU temp will increase by 10C"

"Just wondering why the software is increasing my CPU temp?"

Loading is not the same as installing. When you load an application the CPU is loaded, meaning the temp will go up. 

The 5950x is a very dense chip, even on water the temp will be 'high' at idle or light load as all of it's heat is concentrated. 

If two apps are open at the same time and the temps are different, one is reading package temp vs core temp, most likely. Those will differ in their readings. Both are right, but generally speaking core temp is what most people associate with CPU temp. 

38/48/58c isn't all that concerning at idle or light load. If you are staying below 85-90c under full load then you are fine. Otherwise it will start throttling/turn off. 

Generally speaking, idle temps don't mean anything if they are reasonable. There are many reasons idle temps can be high, GPU dumping 400 watts into the case, for example. Doesn't mean the CPU is not being cooled, it just means it is being cooled by hot air. Which is obviously going to drive up temps.