What storage, RAM, case for a Ryzen 5600G build

Go to solution Solved by Alvin853,

I guess we never answered your other questions:

1 hour ago, Mighty_Dork said:

Question 1: Is this logic sound? Does this build make sense then?

I'd say so, but the 5600G will perform significantly worse than the 12100F + 1050Ti in games. You'll need to do the research yourself, if the performance is still good enough for your liking. 

Question 2: What storage would you recommend? The one on the list was picked by the guy helping me, is there a better value option? Like same price, slightly less speed but noticeably more space?

Not really, $40-$45 is about the cheapest you'll find 512GB SSDs, and higher capacity SSDs are pricier. Just get whatever SSD is the cheapest you can find, NVMe is preferred, but SATA is not bad either.

Question 4: Just any good case recommendations, this one is expensive isn't it? If it's worth it then ok, it's worth it but that's my question, should I get something else?

The "big name" PC case companies (like Lian Li, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT and so on) that are available globally tend to be more expensive. You don't need a high airflow case with a 5600G, even when you're adding a 3060 later. You probably got this recommendation, because it's something that's available everywhere. You can look around for brands that may be local to your market, or maybe you can buy from german resellers, decent budget brands available in Germany are Kolink, Inter-Tech, AeroCool. Pick something you like that doesn't have a completely closed off front. If you like something small, you could look into the CoolerMaster Q500L. 

(Questions that I'm asking located at the end)

Budget (including currency): $580 which equals about 2600 PLN,

flexible, if I'm gonna get something good by spending more I can do that, max around $625 / 2800 PLN.
Already bought the 5600G and the mobo for 1300 PLN / $290 (on a bargain from a really reputable big seller, all the other offers were like $30 more)
so around 1300 PLN / $290 left for RAM, case, PSU, storage

(don't worry about the displays, there's decent used ones in my city, I'll get some)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: second year+ CompSci student stuff, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Genshin Impact, Assassin's Creed (the pre "Origins" ones), Need for Speed, Slime Rancher, Minecraft, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, streaming in 2 years after adding a 3060

Other details : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7N4MC6     This is something I got recommended on LTT discord (modified the RAM and PSU)
I'm sure I wanted to go with this CPU+iGPU and there was a deal on it in Poland so I bought it and this mobo as well, these 2 components are set in stone,

will probably add a GPU down the line, like an RTX 30600 2 years from now for example

Currently running: an Asus R513CL laptop (i3-3217U, GT 710M, 12 Gigs of 1600 RAM, 500 Gigs storage)

Hello, I'm a first year Computer Science student (so beginner C, python, Flask web app coding) living in Poland and want to buy a PC that would cost about $580.
I used to game on the PS4 (Bethesda and Ubisoft games, Minecraft, NFS) and PS3 but bcuz of family issues I no longer own those. I'd like to play those and similar games on PC. 
On this Asus laptop I play Slime Rancher (Lowest Settings), Genshin (Lowest Settings), Superhot and some real easy to run games like 60Seconds!, Cat Goes Fishing.

With this budget I seem to be able to get something like a 12100F + GTX 1050Ti combo, when I tried doing that the cost was actually a bit higher than this linked build. So I figured I'll go for something that will get me a way better everyday computing and gaming experience than I have right now, be satisfied with it for 2 years and have a build ready to accept a GPU for some solid performance. And NOT have a 1050Ti lying around eventually, 4 cores instead of 6, locked CPU and slightly lower clocks on it, no encoder right now etc. I've always gamed on consoles or this intel UHD graphics grade hardware and 1080i (yes, "i" not "p") or 720p displays. So I'm easily pleased. Medium settings 50 FPS at 1080p will be satisfactory.

Question 2: What storage would you recommend? The one on the list was picked by the guy helping me, is there a better value option? Like same price, slightly less speed but noticeably more space?

Question 3: Can faster RAM improve the iGPU performance? iGPUs use system memory since they don't have VRAM right? Then will for example a 4000 kit instead of 3200 kit make a difference? Is it worth going for over 3200 with this setup?
Question 4: Just any good case recommendations, this one is expensive isn't it? If it's worth it then ok, it's worth it but that's my question, should I get something else?

6 minutes ago, Mighty_Dork said:

Question 3: Can faster RAM improve the iGPU performance? iGPUs use system memory since they don't have VRAM right? Then will for example a 4000 kit instead of 3200 kit make a difference? Is it worth going for over 3200 with this setup?

For question 3. Faster ram can increase performance but speed doesn't matter as much over the amount and channels. Get dual channel at least 16gb (The iGpu does use ram as Vram so you need more than 8gb of ram.) there would be a difference between 4000 and 3200mhz but not a huge difference.

1 minute ago, 675409 said:

For question 3. Faster ram can increase performance but speed doesn't matter as much over the amount and channels. Get dual channel at least 16gb (The iGpu does use ram as Vram so you need more than 8gb of ram.) there would be a difference between 4000 and 3200mhz but not a huge difference.

And 2 times 8 Gigs is better than 4 times 4 Gigs right?

Also the CL18 or CL16 numbers, the lower ones are better? Should I look at them?

1 minute ago, 675409 said:

The 5600G loves fast RAM, I saw an improvement of about 10-15% in FPS by overclocking my RAM from 3200 to 4533. But yeah, you're not getting twice the performance all of a sudden, and high speed RAM gets very expensive, there's no point buying DDR4-5000 RAM with a 5600G, when you can get a 5700G with DDR4-3600 RAM for the same price.

4 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

The 5600G loves fast RAM, I saw an improvement of about 10-15% in FPS by overclocking my RAM from 3200 to 4533. 

On what motherboard (out of curiosity) and what RAM (model)?

12 minutes ago, Mighty_Dork said:

And 2 times 8 Gigs is better than 4 times 4 Gigs right?

Also the CL18 or CL16 numbers, the lower ones are better? Should I look at them?

Lower the better for CL latency (16 better) and  there would be almost no difference between 4x4 or 2x8 so get whatever is cheapest

19 minutes ago, Mighty_Dork said:

On what motherboard (out of curiosity) and what RAM (model)?

image.png.ef5a087aef5061ccb9f4aec20adbf60c.png

The RAM is Kingston HyperX 3200C18, sadly I don't think this exact module is still being made, the HyperX brand has been sold after all. The RAM uses Micron Rev. E chips, which is why it can reach those crazy speeds. If you do some research on Rev. E, you'll find many kits that can overclock very well, I think mostly Crucial is using those chips, could even be the model you already have on your list being one of them. Mainboard is a MSI B450M Mortar Max, and the board is actually the limiting factor for me, both the RAM and the memory controller on the 5600G could go faster, but the board craps its pants if I push it any further.

Edit: while tuning my RAM I recorded some Benchmark figures from Cinebench R23 and 3DMark Fire Strike:

Configuration (DDR-UCLK-FCLK) | CB R23 Multi | 3DMFS GPU | 3DMFS CPU | 3DMFS Comb | 3DMFS Total
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3200-1600-1600 (1:1:1)        |        10587 |      4041 |     22286 |       1282 |        3699
4000-2000-2000 (1:1:1)        |        10623 |      4307 |     22494 |       1432 |        3989
4333-1083-2000 (2:1:1.85)     |        10572 |      4310 |     22274 |       1454 |        4007
4333-2166-2166 (1:1:1)        |        10634 |      4384 |     22468 |       1480 |        4076

I don't have comparable 3DMark results from the current setup, because I'm now also running an overclock on the integrated GPU, this is my current Fire Strike result:

4600 3DMFS.png

I guess we never answered your other questions:

I'd say so, but the 5600G will perform significantly worse than the 12100F + 1050Ti in games. You'll need to do the research yourself, if the performance is still good enough for your liking. 

Not really, $40-$45 is about the cheapest you'll find 512GB SSDs, and higher capacity SSDs are pricier. Just get whatever SSD is the cheapest you can find, NVMe is preferred, but SATA is not bad either.

The "big name" PC case companies (like Lian Li, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT and so on) that are available globally tend to be more expensive. You don't need a high airflow case with a 5600G, even when you're adding a 3060 later. You probably got this recommendation, because it's something that's available everywhere. You can look around for brands that may be local to your market, or maybe you can buy from german resellers, decent budget brands available in Germany are Kolink, Inter-Tech, AeroCool. Pick something you like that doesn't have a completely closed off front. If you like something small, you could look into the CoolerMaster Q500L.