Which power plan is best for 5900X

NefariousLegion

Hi All,

I just upgraded from a 3700X to a 5900X. I know for Ryzen 3000 series AMD had their own power plans that they suggested for them. But since those aren't necessary for Ryzen 5000 I'm wondering what power plan is best? High performance, Ultimate performance or Bitsum Highest Performance?

Balanced.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Balanced.

Thanks for the reply, but out of curiosity why balanced over the one of the higher performance plans? I should clarify it's a gaming PC.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:05 PM, NefariousLegion said:

Thanks for the reply, but out of curiosity why balanced over the one of the higher performance plans? I should clarify it's a gaming PC.

Balance allows the CPU to go into a lower power state when idle. The CPU is faster than you can ever be. 10ms is an internity for a CPU. It can wake up and sleep faster than that. Cooler the CPU the higher and for longer it can boost delivering performance when you need it.

Using High Performance leads to no gains beside a few points in benchmarks, or solve a hardware/driver issue which isn't normal. This is why the power plan options is being buried more and more. Expect it to be gone. Many laptops ONLY have balance. Anyways, all you are doing is waste power and create heat.

If your system is not powerful enough for your needs, then maybe you pick a faster CPU, or wait for AMD and Intel next gen CPUs.

This panel/feature was introduced in Vista, and all of this was new back in the day, not all hardware supported it, a d not all were good at it. So the option to switch profile was needed. to help desktops and laptops. But this is not needed anymore for many, many years.