Sata SSD as windows bootdrive and nvme ssd for games, good idea?

Natsukashii
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Pagefile will be on SATA SSD by default, so when you run out of RAM or when pagefile is actively used (which by default it is) you might experience worse stutters in situations where you are heavily ram capacity bottlenecked.. I would recommend using NVME as boot drive and SATA SSD as game drive. In the end, both are fine.

so I got a good sata ssd I'm carrying from my previous build to my new one but I plan to buy somes nvme ssd down the line, is there any speed downside of installing games on the nvme ssd while the windows ssd is a sata one versus going full nvme?

Pagefile will be on SATA SSD by default, so when you run out of RAM or when pagefile is actively used (which by default it is) you might experience worse stutters in situations where you are heavily ram capacity bottlenecked.. I would recommend using NVME as boot drive and SATA SSD as game drive. In the end, both are fine.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

Pagefile will be on SATA SSD by default, so when you run out of RAM or when pagefile is actively used (which by default it is) you might experience worse stutters in situations where you are heavily ram capacity bottlenecked.. I would recommend using NVME as boot drive and SATA SSD as game drive. In the end, both are fine, I just would would NVME as boot drive and sata ssd as game drive.

this could be an issue even with 32gb of ram? ok might need to think of buying a nvme soon then

Paging will be minimal, but will still be there, and the operating system will work better with a paging system. 

You can add an extra paging file on the other drive, and depending on size and speed of drive, the OS may prefer to use that other file instead.

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Paging will be minimal, but will still be there, and the operating system will work better with a paging system. 

You can add an extra paging file on the other drive, and depending on size and speed of drive, the OS may prefer to use that other file instead.

yep bought a 500gb 970 evo plus as boot drive, didn't cost too much and will be enough I believe for now, my games will go to the sata now, thanks for the tips!