Need help with new 1.5G setup

KingBennon

Hello, I'm going to be signed up for Bell fiber soon and I will have a 1.5G connection.

My current motherboard and router only supports 1 gig. 

What PCIe card and router would you recommend me to use.

I will also need a switch for a server I have in the basement. And I'll also use the same pcie add-on card for that computer as well

9 minutes ago, KingBennon said:

Hello, I'm going to be signed up for Bell fiber soon and I will have a 1.5G connection.

My current motherboard and router only supports 1 gig. 

What PCIe card and router would you recommend me to use.

I will also need a switch for a server I have in the basement. And I'll also use the same pcie add-on card for that computer as well

thankfully with the introduction of 2.5Gbps you don't have to spend big bucks on 10Gbe equipment. Most any Chinese 2.5Gbps NIC of amazon will do the job and I'd imagine the router you will be supplied with will have 2.5Gbps ports if not 5Gbps otherwise how else would you connect a faster router. 

As for Wi-Fi I'm fairly certain those speeds are mostly unachievable without expensive Wi-Fi 6 equipment and a good few repeaters could be wrong though.

PC:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.25GHz

RAM: 32GB Patriot Viper Steel 15-15-15-36 @ 3600MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 

GPU: Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil 

SSD: 500GB 970 Evo Plus, 500GB Pioneer NVMe, 480GB BX500 SATA.

PSU: Corsair AX1600i 

Cooling: EKWB Watercooling 

Case: O11 Dynamic XL + EKWB Reflection distro plate 

Laptop: Framework Batch 10

I5-1135G7

24GB 2400MHz

500GB PM951

Currently I have a TP-Link AX1500 WiFi 6 as my main router, then I have that connected with a ethernet cable going to my in-laws house right next door to a ASUS AC5300.

I didn't really want to use an Amazon network card, I was looking into a TRENDnet TEG-25GECTX.

I've been reading that some network cards start to disconnect like gigabyte after awhile. And waited to see what other people are using. 

Some routers have only one 2.5G port. 

Do I connect that port to a switch to run muiltiple Ethernet cables?

3 minutes ago, KingBennon said:

The general idea is you hook 2.5Gbit for the WAN which allows you to spread the load across multiple clients at Gigabit.

There's not much of a reason to have more than Gigabit to a single client as its unlikely under normal use you'll go that fast.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, KingBennon said:

Currently I have a TP-Link AX1500 WiFi 6 as my main router, then I have that connected with a ethernet cable going to my in-laws house right next door to a ASUS AC5300.

I didn't really want to use an Amazon network card, I was looking into a TRENDnet TEG-25GECTX.

I've been reading that some network cards start to disconnect like gigabyte after awhile. And waited to see what other people are using. 

Oh yeah I believe it's some realtek chips and I do hear people say that intel chips tend to be better although, I would look at amazon reviews and see if there are reported issues as it's probably some hearsay. And I'm not sure intel make 2.5Gb chips although I might be wrong as I think my motherboard has one.

As regards to a switch a switch won't give you bandwidth only allow 2.5Gbps down multiple lines independently. Your, still limited to 2.5 by the single connection to the router. If you need multiple 2.5Gbps sources and your router has just the one port then I would advise yes. Although, I would contact your ISP or see if you can find what model of router they provide. 

PC:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.25GHz

RAM: 32GB Patriot Viper Steel 15-15-15-36 @ 3600MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 

GPU: Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil 

SSD: 500GB 970 Evo Plus, 500GB Pioneer NVMe, 480GB BX500 SATA.

PSU: Corsair AX1600i 

Cooling: EKWB Watercooling 

Case: O11 Dynamic XL + EKWB Reflection distro plate 

Laptop: Framework Batch 10

I5-1135G7

24GB 2400MHz

500GB PM951

6 minutes ago, DigitalDoofus said:

I'm not sure intel make 2.5Gb chips although I might be wrong as I think my motherboard has one.

They most certainly do, the Intel i225 but you have to be careful to get the B3 edition as the older models had issues.

https://www.overclock.net/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.overclock.net/attachments/untitled2-png.2475398/

However I'd argue its not worth trying to get more than Gigabit to a single client anyway if its just for Internet use.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Ya Intel was my first choice, but my current router uses intel and gets so hot.

And your motherboard has 2.5G.

Too bad I only have a Gigabyte X570 AORUS, wish I got the other one now.

I'll look into it more when I get the hardware.

Contractors are still laying fiber on my street, they said maybe 3 more weeks.

Thank you for all the help!!

Take care everyone!

DigitalDoofus,

We almost have the same setup.

I have an O11 dynamic with the distro plate.

But I think im going to go with the D5 pump, I've been having issues with the DDC

26 minutes ago, DigitalDoofus said:

thankfully with the introduction of 2.5Gbps you don't have to spend big bucks on 10Gbe equipment. Most any Chinese 2.5Gbps NIC of amazon will do the job and I'd imagine the router you will be supplied with will have 2.5Gbps ports if not 5Gbps otherwise how else would you connect a faster router. 

As for Wi-Fi I'm fairly certain those speeds are mostly unachievable without expensive Wi-Fi 6 equipment and a good few repeaters could be wrong though.

From my experience any 2.5G hardware has massive issues with compatibility. If your ISP Router has a 10G Port or you connect a 2.5G to a 1G you have a high chance of links going down. Had massive issues with my 2.5G onboard on the asus mainboards.

When i got my 2.5G Fiber i decided to go the right way and instantly upgrade to 10G SFP+ and fiber. The cables are much cheaper so you can easy re-cable your whole house/appartment and you dont need to change the cabling for another 50 years (or when your ISPs give you 100G+ but i dont think this is going to happen to soon). There are a lot of "cheap" 10G SFP+ NICs as they are old-gen server hardware but still get produced from some companies. Also Mikrotik has great and cheap SFP+ hardware (switches, routers) for home networking.

System : AMD R7 3800X / X570 ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / 4x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-4000 CL18 ASUS Dual RX 6600XT / Lian Li O11Dynamic XL / 3x Magicool G2 Slim Radiator 16 FPI - 360mm 1000W Seasonic Focus GX 80+ Gold / 25" 360Hz 1920x1080p Dell AW2521H

11 minutes ago, Talllion said:

From my experience any 2.5G hardware has massive issues with compatibility. If your ISP Router has a 10G Port or you connect a 2.5G to a 1G you have a high chance of links going down. Had massive issues with my 2.5G onboard on the asus mainboards.

Were they Realtek or Intel, and if the latter was it B3/REV03?  Earlier revisions were known to have such issues.

I have a 2.5Gbit Realtek USB adapter in my AI upscaling rig and had zero problems with that.

Also have a Aquantia 5Gbit USB adapter that has been fine, apart from the drawback its only a USB 5Gbit adapter so you end up at 3.2 to 3.6Gbit real-world throughput.

17 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Were they Realtek or Intel, and if the latter was it B3/REV03?  Earlier revisions were known to have such issues.

For me it was a "Realtek® RTL8125-CG 2.5G LAN" and according to the hardware id it should be REV00. I now use a ASUS XG-C100F with my pc and am connected to my MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN via LC-LC MMF, so i dont really care to fix any issues with it.

All i can say is that every fiber connection i ever planned and realized worked without any issues for me and stays cool (and takes less power i guess).

20220516_164305.jpg

System : AMD R7 3800X / X570 ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / 4x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-4000 CL18 ASUS Dual RX 6600XT / Lian Li O11Dynamic XL / 3x Magicool G2 Slim Radiator 16 FPI - 360mm 1000W Seasonic Focus GX 80+ Gold / 25" 360Hz 1920x1080p Dell AW2521H