RAM Issues depending on AGESA version (1.2.0.5 to 1.2.0.7)

Go to solution Solved by GoLLuM13,

My problem seems to be solved thanks to Asus. They promised, and they delivered, it's been almost 5 days now that I'm using a modified BIOS specially made for my board and Corsair RAMs, and it's 100% functional, no problem whatsoever so far. I'd like to thank Asus for the hard work and Corsair for borrowing memory sticks to them. I hope they will publicly release it and make it work with more models.

Conclusion :
Even if there were 0 doubt about it unlike what some people said, it wasn't a memory issue, it was a BIOS issue like I stated before. Nothing to have with die model, memory brand or motherboard brand, everything was compatible and functional. If Asus and Corsair proved me something is that, they care and as a customer that's all what I ask for. I hope AMD will find a solution that they can share with other brands too. Thank you to all the people that shared their feedbacks and have been patient.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

That’s weird about the stutters. I have two AMD systems and none with micro stutters that people talk about. One is a Strix -F with 5600X and 2x8, the other is a Strix -XE with a 5900X and 4x8.

Like any other problem with AMD builds, not everybody has them (thankfully). Same thing with the AGESA issue or the USB connectivity issues, some folks are still experiencing USB issues with newer versions, while other never heard or had them

Spoiler

Summer is coming, do not forget to hydrate yourself, you can do so with a water bottle from L-T-T-Store-Dot-Com (of course you should put a liquid in it like water, and it's sold separately)

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this gets adressed. But I doubt it. AMDs Agesas have been a mess ever since the Ryzen 5000 launch.

21 minutes ago, rossi94 said:

Hopefully this gets adressed. But I doubt it. AMDs Agesas have been a mess ever since the Ryzen 5000 launch.

You mean since the 5800X3D? Yes I agree.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

10 hours ago, rossi94 said:

That wasn't that bad, some mess here and there, but nothing really big (except the USB issue). But like you said I hope they address it, I'm now in contact with "AMD Global Custom Care" it seems like they want to do something about it, I sent them a lot of information from my previous tests, and some tests they asked me to do and also information I added to a Reddit post

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

You mean since the 5800X3D? Yes I agree.

I agree that was a total mess since the 5800X3D or should I say a little before, to prepare the coming of the 5800X3D

Spoiler

Summer is coming, do not forget to hydrate yourself, you can do so with a water bottle from L-T-T-Store-Dot-Com (of course you should put a liquid in it like water, and it's sold separately)

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:37 AM, bwat47 said:

I had the same issues, 3700x with 4 sticks of DDR4-3600 CL16, gigabyte x570ud

was perfectly stable before AGESA 1.2.0.5.

After agesa 1.2.0.5, the system wouldn't boot 4/5 times. To get is stable I had to increase several voltages in ryzen master (VDDG, VDDP, and RAM I think)... but I didn't need to mess with any voltages in previous BIOS versions.

ended up upgrading to a 5800x3d and have had zero issues with the new processor (just flipped on XMP and was good to go)

Did you have to reinstall windows when upgrading from 3700x to 5800x3d?

Yesterday I upgraded my BIOS from version 3801 which was perfectly fine and stable to version 4201. Version 4201 introduced a lot of problems trying to boot into windows, for example "Recovery. Your PC/Device needs to be repaired, the digital signature for this file couldn't be verified. Error code: 0xc0000428" BSOD and PC getting stuck on the bios loading screen at bootup, after 4-5 reboots my pc boots into windows like if nothing ever happened.

Here is a link for reference on what issues I am facing: Question - I updated my BIOS and now weird things are happening ? | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

I'm currently using a Ryzen 9 3900x on the Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero, and because of these issues I was considering doing what you did and just switch to a 5800X3D which would hopefully just fix all the problems, I was just curious if it was as simple as just swapping out the CPU without having to reinstall the OS, I find the process of reinstalling OS really tedious due to the amount of apps I have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, FL4M3z said:

Did you have to reinstall windows when upgrading from 3700x to 5800x3d?

Yesterday I upgraded my BIOS from version 3801 which was perfectly fine and stable to version 4201. Version 4201 introduced a lot of problems trying to boot into windows, for example "Recovery. Your PC/Device needs to be repaired, the digital signature for this file couldn't be verified. Error code: 0xc0000428" BSOD and PC getting stuck on the bios loading screen at bootup, after 4-5 reboots my pc boots into windows like if nothing ever happened.

Here is a link for reference on what issues I am facing: Question - I updated my BIOS and now weird things are happening ? | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

I'm currently using a Ryzen 9 3900x on the Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero, and because of these issues I was considering doing what you did and just switch to a 5800X3D which would hopefully just fix all the problems, I was just curious if it was as simple as just swapping out the CPU without having to reinstall the OS, I find the process of reinstalling OS really tedious due to the amount of apps I have.

It's always best to do a clean install, but if you don't want to you can just uninstall AMD Chipset (and eventually Ryzen Master) -> restart PC -> reinstall the latest AMD Chipset (and Ryzen Master if you use it) and you can call it a day. This way, you're sure the AMD chipset installs exactly what your CPU needs to

Spoiler

15 hours ago, GoLLuM13 said:

It's always best to do a clean install, but if you don't want to you can just uninstall AMD Chipset (and eventually Ryzen Master) -> restart PC -> reinstall the latest AMD Chipset (and Ryzen Master if you use it) and you can call it a day. This way, you're sure the AMD chipset installs exactly what your CPU needs to

So I've already replaced the CPU prior to seeing you reply. I haven't reinstalled anything and completely forgot that the chipset drivers need to be reinstalled. Basically when I got the new CPU I just turned off my PC, switched the PSU off and replaced the 3900x with a 5800X3D. I have 0 issues with my system ever since then on the latest BIOS with DOCP enabled.

About 3 days ago (which was already after I have replaced the CPU) I went into the Windows Power Plan settings and noticed that I had the "Ryzen Balanced" and "Ryzen High Performance" Power Plans which I was pretty sure that Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are not supposed to have anymore, my power plan was set on "Ryzen High Performance", even though that's wrong it hasn't actually caused me any issues, but still after seeing that I went on AMD website, installed chipset drivers and both the power plans disappeared, I'm now on the default Windows Balanced power plan like I should have been from the start with this new CPU, and still no issues whatsoever, system runs as stable as it did with the 3900x on the 3801 BIOS version.

I thought I'd mention that I also took the chance and enabled Resizable BAR since it's compatible with the 5000 series and my current BIOS version, no issues with that either, updating GPU firmware took a total of 5 seconds.

I guess I'm just another person to confirm that replacing the 3000 series chip with a 5000 series chip solves this issue, it's just really weird to me that there has been 3 New BIOS versions since 3801 (On Asus X570 boards at least), and all of them cause bootup issues with Ryzen 3000 CPUs when you have DOCP enabled in the BIOS, it's like they already forgot about Zen 2.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:21 AM, FL4M3z said:

So I've already replaced the CPU prior to seeing you reply. I haven't reinstalled anything and completely forgot that the chipset drivers need to be reinstalled. Basically when I got the new CPU I just turned off my PC, switched the PSU off and replaced the 3900x with a 5800X3D. I have 0 issues with my system ever since then on the latest BIOS with DOCP enabled.

About 3 days ago (which was already after I have replaced the CPU) I went into the Windows Power Plan settings and noticed that I had the "Ryzen Balanced" and "Ryzen High Performance" Power Plans which I was pretty sure that Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are not supposed to have anymore, my power plan was set on "Ryzen High Performance", even though that's wrong it hasn't actually caused me any issues, but still after seeing that I went on AMD website, installed chipset drivers and both the power plans disappeared, I'm now on the default Windows Balanced power plan like I should have been from the start with this new CPU, and still no issues whatsoever, system runs as stable as it did with the 3900x on the 3801 BIOS version.

I thought I'd mention that I also took the chance and enabled Resizable BAR since it's compatible with the 5000 series and my current BIOS version, no issues with that either, updating GPU firmware took a total of 5 seconds.

I guess I'm just another person to confirm that replacing the 3000 series chip with a 5000 series chip solves this issue, it's just really weird to me that there has been 3 New BIOS versions since 3801 (On Asus X570 boards at least), and all of them cause bootup issues with Ryzen 3000 CPUs when you have DOCP enabled in the BIOS, it's like they already forgot about Zen 2.

Just google to this post,

my build , amd 3700x, giga x570 pro wifi, g skill trident z neo

I always update the BIOS and the chipset driver when it has update.

it was no problem on BIOS AGESA V2 1.2.0.3 and before, 

BUT it crash my windows EVERYTIME after AGESA V2 1.2.0.5, AGESA V2 1.2.0.6, and the latest AGESA V2 1.2.0.7.

If I fallback the BIOS to 1.2.0.3, everything OK. I guess it may be my windows problem at the beginning. But I saw someone open post about it, it seems like the same issue.

Then I google it , and I am not alone. I just leave the BIOS on 1.2.0.3 for now. I still willing to update it when it has update. I am curious when it can fix

On 7/17/2022 at 5:21 PM, FL4M3z said:

On 7/20/2022 at 5:20 PM, qbbsdpir said:

Just google to this post,

my build , amd 3700x, giga x570 pro wifi, g skill trident z neo

I always update the BIOS and the chipset driver when it has update.

it was no problem on BIOS AGESA V2 1.2.0.3 and before, 

BUT it crash my windows EVERYTIME after AGESA V2 1.2.0.5, AGESA V2 1.2.0.6, and the latest AGESA V2 1.2.0.7.

If I fallback the BIOS to 1.2.0.3, everything OK. I guess it may be my windows problem at the beginning. But I saw someone open post about it, it seems like the same issue.

Then I google it , and I am not alone. I just leave the BIOS on 1.2.0.3 for now. I still willing to update it when it has update. I am curious when it can fix

Thanks to both of you for your feedbacks and @FL4M3z for confirming that there's an issue with the Ryzen 3000 and not the Ryzen 5000 with same components

I also made a Reddit post here, with a lot of feedbacks and there are some workarounds that worked for some people (not me unfortunately)

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

My problem seems to be solved thanks to Asus. They promised, and they delivered, it's been almost 5 days now that I'm using a modified BIOS specially made for my board and Corsair RAMs, and it's 100% functional, no problem whatsoever so far. I'd like to thank Asus for the hard work and Corsair for borrowing memory sticks to them. I hope they will publicly release it and make it work with more models.

Conclusion :
Even if there were 0 doubt about it unlike what some people said, it wasn't a memory issue, it was a BIOS issue like I stated before. Nothing to have with die model, memory brand or motherboard brand, everything was compatible and functional. If Asus and Corsair proved me something is that, they care and as a customer that's all what I ask for. I hope AMD will find a solution that they can share with other brands too. Thank you to all the people that shared their feedbacks and have been patient.

Spoiler