Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Living room table in-desk usb hub - will this work?

Dudis

So my basic idea is to have a usb hub built into my living room table to connect varoush peripherals such as gamepads etc when i want to do pc couch-gaming. 

The problem is that i want to make it a bit more complicated than that. 

I first need a long usb cable, but I've already sourced a good 5m/16 feet cable that I've previously used with my Quest 2-headset. 

I then want a magnetic connector so I dont tear the cable when I innevitably forget about it when moving the table. 

That would go into an at least 4 port USB-hub that I connect my peripherals to with at least 2m/6 feet cables to be able to lean back comfortably.

Will this even work or will the long cables and multiple connection-points ruin the signal? 

Wireless isnt really an option as I hate trying to pair controllers back and forth between my pc and consoles. 

Thanks in advance 🙂

19 minutes ago, Dudis said:

i want to make it a bit more complicated than that

You want it to be complicated? 😄

You will need a USB repeater, because USB 2.0 has a range of 5 m and USB 3.0 has a range of 3 m.
Maybe also an active USB hub to power your components.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

11 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

You want it to be complicated? 😄

You will need a USB repeater, because USB 2.0 has a range of 5 m and USB 3.0 has a range of 3 m.
Maybe also an active USB hub to power your components.

'Want' might not have been the best choice of words 😛

Maybe i should just look into an active cable of some sort instead. Dont they typically have pretty bulky ends? 

Do you think power will be an issue too with lets say four dual shock 5 controllers connected? 

1 hour ago, Dudis said:

Do you think power will be an issue too with lets say four dual shock 5 controllers connected? 

A DualSense controller needs a 5 V USB power supply and draws up to 1500 mA of current. So it consumes up to 7.5 W of power.
If you want to charge 4 controllers with max. current, you would need a 30 W active USB hub.
A usual USB 3.0 ports can output 900 mA, so not enough to charge a single controller as fast as possible.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

Power Supply

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

6 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

A DualSense controller needs a 5 V USB power supply and draws up to 1500 mA of current. So it consumes up to 7.5 W of power.
If you want to charge 4 controllers with max. current, you would need a 30 W active USB hub.
A usual USB 3.0 ports can output 900 mA, so not enough to charge a single controller as fast as possible.

Oh well, i guess ill have to completely rethink this. Thanks for saving me some money 🙂

13 hours ago, Dudis said:

Oh well, i guess ill have to completely rethink this. Thanks for saving me some money 🙂

I've used several of these repeater cables around my house. One in the living room for wired USB controllers for my HTPC when running emulation:

spacer.png

I'm like you I don't care for pairing controllers all the time, so my solution was to just buy more controllers. Honestly you'll have money tied up in all these cables, likely a hub, and still have wires running across the room that will kind of be a pain (IMO). Some more controllers will likely be a little bit more money, but just easier, less cords, and should be less hassle. I eventually just ended up with controllers for each PC, and the Xbox, but not having to swap them around all the time is much nicer.