Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nas set up/OS advice?? Ssd caching

Hi all, first time building a nas.

Almost a decade a go I regularly used various Linux OSs but haven't since. I've got an old office dell desktop that I'm planning to use as nas. As I'm running on a budget, the current planned set up is:

4th gen i7 (haven't booted it up yet so don't know the exact model. I suspect 4/6 core)

24gb of ram

2 X 2tb HDD that I want to have mirrored/raid 1

Nvme SSD that will hold OS and would like to make a partition for caching.

Some random 8 year old AMD GPU

I was looking into OMV but there doesn't seem to be caching options into the software. I know you can set this up in Linux but I want to avoid that route of possible as I'm just dipping my toes. I'd this something Freenas could do a lot better? Would my hardware be enough for freenas etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

Your hardware is plenty for TrueNAS. You don't even need the GPU if your i7 has integrated graphics, because you cna do hardware video transcoding through Quick Sync.

An SSD doesn't become a "write cache" the way you'd expect with ZFS, though. Use it as its own device, and store the metadata databases for your media servers (Plex, Jellyfin, etc) on it. They'll feel a lot more responsive than running off a spinning drive.

Dell owns my soul.

9 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Your hardware is plenty for TrueNAS. You don't even need the GPU if your i7 has integrated graphics, because you cna do hardware video transcoding through Quick Sync.

An SSD doesn't become a "write cache" the way you'd expect with ZFS, though. Use it as its own device, and store the metadata databases for your media servers (Plex, Jellyfin, etc) on it. They'll feel a lot more responsive than running off a spinning drive.

That's excellent cheers.

Yeah I want sure as when I read "OMV Vs truenas" posts, one of the big factors people say is CPU/ RAM hungry.

Added the GPU incase there was a way it could be utilised. All of this stuff was pulled out of a bin at an office clear out.

Ok that's useful as I wouldn't mind setting up something like Plex etc.

Do you have any Nas OS suggestions for a set up where I want a write cache? 

Main case is photo editing off of it from potentially multiple sources. Medium sized files being edited at once etc. I know for my current desktop, setting up an SSD as a cache for my spinning disk has made a heck of a difference for working off.though I do also plan on using it as general storage, Plex etc.

3 minutes ago, Matti64 said:

That's excellent cheers.

Yeah I want sure as when I read "OMV Vs truenas" posts, one of the big factors people say is CPU/ RAM hungry.

Added the GPU incase there was a way it could be utilised. All of this stuff was pulled out of a bin at an office clear out.

Ok that's useful as I wouldn't mind setting up something like Plex etc.

Do you have any Nas OS suggestions for a set up where I want a write cache? 

Main case is photo editing off of it from potentially multiple sources. Medium sized files being edited at once etc. I know for my current desktop, setting up an SSD as a cache for my spinning disk has made a heck of a difference for working off.though I do also plan on using it as general storage, Plex etc.

ZFS uses RAM as a read/write cache. The more RAM you can stuff into a machine, the better.

UnRAID can use an SSD as a read/write cache for the array, but only with its funky pretend software RAID. 

Besides, if you only have one gigabut Ethernet connection between your PC and the NAS, all of your transfers will be limited to 100 MB/sec regardless.

Dell owns my soul.

10 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

ZFS uses RAM as a read/write cache. The more RAM you can stuff into a machine, the better.

UnRAID can use an SSD as a read/write cache for the array, but only with its funky pretend software RAID. 

Besides, if you only have one gigabut Ethernet connection between your PC and the NAS, all of your transfers will be limited to 100 MB/sec regardless.

Excellent, so I'm better off running something like truenas/freenas, dig up some more ram from the PC junk pile (32gb is probs the tops) and use the SSD for OS and other plugins, Plex etc? 

Also, wouldn't 2 spinning disks in raid 1 be slower than my 1 gigabit connection? Though it's unlikely I could get close to saturating my ram in my use case. I frequently saturate my 16gb on my current editing rig (obviously that's with Windows running etc, but that is mainly from all the files being edited) hence I'm exploring the route of SSD caching.

21 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

And btw thank for making this understandable and approachable, most info online about setting up a nas is either very basic or extremely technical with little in the middle so I really appreciate it