is Motherboard killing my hard drives or the Power Supply?

xCrownie
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

1 drive dead is not enough to form a proper opinion. 

Could be the drive just dying on its own - statistically, up to 3-5% of new drives fail in the first months and that number can go up to 10% if used 24/7 in a server somewhere.

random freeze and audio crazy means a driver has crashed or something uses the cpu at 100% not giving enough processing power to the audio driver to give the sound card more stuff to play (or the operating system can't communicate with the sound card due to some hardware being stuck)

It COULD be caused by a bad power supply, fluctuations in the voltage sent to components.

I suggest checking if there's BIOS updates for that motherboard.

Run Down..
my Psu is 80+ bronze
ryzen 5 1600
a320m-k prime asus
1050ti

I have 1ssd and 1hdd

bought an extra hard drive
checked the health in hdsentinel 100% all good
after 1 / 2 reboots
checked the health in hdsentinel boom dead hard drive.

Our electricity supply was once unstable and i think that affected the psu a bit but after the our electricity was fixed everything was back to normal in terms of how the pc runs
but i get some random FREEZE and then the audio gets crazy then shuts the pc down. so maybe its the PSU?
I can't check if any of the sata data/power cable we're damaged cause my stupid ass didnt check which one i plugged to the drive that was,

if anyone has an idea, its much appreciated

Could be the drive just dying on its own - statistically, up to 3-5% of new drives fail in the first months and that number can go up to 10% if used 24/7 in a server somewhere.

random freeze and audio crazy means a driver has crashed or something uses the cpu at 100% not giving enough processing power to the audio driver to give the sound card more stuff to play (or the operating system can't communicate with the sound card due to some hardware being stuck)

It COULD be caused by a bad power supply, fluctuations in the voltage sent to components.

10 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Brand and model of the PSU?

inplay 450w 80+ bronze

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

I see, ill take note of that thank you ❤️

Can i also ask, if using the m.2 ssd gives me a lower chance of killing a storage device?

19 minutes ago, xCrownie said:

inplay 450w 80+ bronze

It's junk in the first place and nowhere near 450w. 350w at it's best on a good day.

2 hours ago, --SID-- said:

It's junk in the first place and nowhere near 450w. 350w at it's best on a good day.

yeah i see, but putting all the components in pc part picker my total wattage is nowhere near 350w either, but i guess this psu is a bit fragile ill have to replace it. thanks

1 hour ago, xCrownie said:

yeah i see, but putting all the components in pc part picker my total wattage is nowhere near 350w either, but i guess this psu is a bit fragile ill have to replace it. thanks

A junk psu at 50% load is still a junk psu. Replace it. 

22 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

A junk psu at 50% load is still a junk psu. Replace it. 

aight, Corsair CV450 or Cougar XTC 500 should be fine yeah?