Few WAN shows ago, there was a mention on how to legally play ROM games. Which video is it? Has it been released?

mystvean

I am not sure if I missed the video, but I would like to see it. Does anyone know if the video has been released yet?

I just did a quick google and one of the most top results mentioned that for example in the US, there is no law against this, thus not illegal. 

I look at it like this; if you want to play old games on Nintendo /gameboy etc just download the roms and have fun. 

if the game exists today still in store and sold, perhaps bite the bullet 🙂 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Afaik there is no official "legal way" (by law) to play rom games. Linus and Luke were talking about a (in their opinion) morally "legal" way: Owning the original came cartridge and having it sit next to you when you play the game. Or in general just owning the game by official means.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Afaik there is no official "legal way" (by law) to play rom games.

It's illegal to download the ROMs from somewhere and is considered software piracy (though the law behind that can get a bit tricky). It's not illegal to emulate a ROM or play an emulated game and it's not illegal to rip a ROM from a disk or cartridge, so if you rip the ROM from a game cartridge yourself, it's fully legal. Same way how it's fully legal to rip Blu Rays and play them on your phone. 

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. 

and OP, no, the video has not been released yet at least on YouTube. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's illegal to download the ROMs from somewhere and is considered software piracy (though the law behind that can get a bit tricky). It's not illegal to emulate a ROM or play an emulated game and it's not illegal to rip a ROM from a disk or cartridge, so if you rip the ROM from a game cartridge yourself, it's fully legal. Same way how it's fully legal to rip Blu Rays and play them on your phone. 

Ah yes right it was about ripping them yourself.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 5/16/2022 at 3:29 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

I think technically the legality also depends on where you live.

In Canada you are are allowed to rip it however you cannot circumvent any sort  of disc based DRM, you cannot give the reproduction away to others, and it must be for that individual's personal use. Though if you give away, rent, or sell the original without destroying all reproductions you are breaking the Copyright Modernization Act.Similarly a backup copy can be reproduced if it's for the sole purpose of in case the source copy is rendered unusable, lost or damaged. The source copy isn't infringing, to reproduce you didn't circumvent any technological protection measures and don't give any of the reproductions away. If the source copy is then no longer usable one of the reproductions can become the source copy.HOWEVER, if you cease to own or have a license to use the source copy all reproductions made must be destroyed.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Same way how it's fully legal to rip Blu Rays and play them on your phone. 

Ripping a Blu-ray is illegal in most countries, since they have DRM on them and it is typically illegal to circumvent DRM.