HDMI switchers

kennethk
Go to solution Solved by Jumballi,

1. Most will just pass through the resolution the console sent.
2. They generally don't upscale
3. Ps4 pro and xbox one s/x can do 4k60 output, with the xbox even doing vrr but it needs to be hdmi 2.0b or higher.
4. 4k30 is hdmi 1.4, 4k60 is hdmi 2.0a, 4k60 with hdr is hdmi 2.0b
5. A good chunk of cheap switches and switches cause HDCP hand shake issues

I'm looking at a 5 port HDMI switch box but most of the cheaper ones only do 4k30hz I'll mostly be using older consoles with HDMI adapters I'm not that keen on how they work but will most just output the max resolution that said console can handle? Like it won't attempt to upscale to 4k?

HDMI Switcher, LVY 5 in 1 Out HDMI Switch 5x1 HDMI Switch Selector 5 Port Box with IR Remote Control HDMI 1.4 HDCP 1.4 Support 4K@30Hz Ultra HD 3D 2160P 1080P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FSV1SRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_SVZ824N4V1MJB75YWN9B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3. Ps4 pro and xbox one s/x can do 4k60 output, with the xbox even doing vrr but it needs to be hdmi 2.0b or higher.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

10 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Thanks for the info so if I'm just using it for older consoles (ps4 slim and older) the picture shouldn't suffer that bad.

Just now, kennethk said:

Thanks for the info so if I'm just using it for older consoles (ps4 slim and older) the picture shouldn't suffer that bad.

I've seen some really low quality ones cause issues with the image, generally speaking it's not too bad or even noticeable.

My wholehearted advice is to definitely spend a bit more that the cheapest options.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming