Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HDD size box.

Is there some kind of storage box or case that fits in the place of a hdd?.

Hear me out here. There says most people have ssd's so the 3.5 hdd brackets in pc cases are unused, this way the extra screws could be stored inside the computer to avoid losing them.

Posted (edited)

A novel idea on the surface, but be aware that if not properly secured, these could easily get loose and cause a whole slew of problems.

That said, if you really want to do this, I would just gut a failed 3.5" HDD, modify it to be more easily opened, then maybe paint it some innocuous color to avoid a ragtag look. Probably a lot easier than trying to find and modify an existing candidate.

I've got a junk 3.5" on my desk right now that I've considered modifying to be a Tesla turbine to do some experiments with, but since diagnosis of autism, I've realized my tendency to fumble objects and drop things is going to be a problem in doing so. Life is what happens while you make other plans.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

OP: My PC cuts off and crashes. Is the 1000W PSU enough?  ME: 1000W is plenty, PSU or system board could be faulty. Get both tested.

OP: I don't think so, both parts were purchased last week.        😒  Why bother asking if you second-guess the advice?

Friends don't let friends use Apple.                                              NOTE: Recently diagnosed autistic. If I ruffle your feathers, please be patient.

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I've got a junk 3.5" on my desk right now that I've considered modifying to be a Tesla turbine to do some experiments with, but since diagnosis of autism, I've realized my tendency to fumble objects and drop things is going to be a problem in doing so. 

HDD motors can generate a few volts if you find a way to spin them fast enough, I've tried.

For OP, you could 3-D print one, or gut a 3.5 HDD as was previously said. 

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

My systems:

Main: 

Spoiler

Xeon e5-2690 v1, HP z620 workstation board/case/800w PSU. EVGA GTX 980 SC, 8x4gb ECC DDR3-1333, 128gb NVME, 240gb SSD, 1tb SSD, 2x2tb HDD, 2x1tb HDD (too many)

Added Sound Blaster Z (2020), PCIe NVME card, USB 3.1 card, and front bay HDD dock

Retro:

Spoiler

Pentium 4 HT 661, GT 730 1gb, 4x1gb DDR2-667, 80gb Spinpoint HDD in a DC7600 SFF board/case. Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound, Trinitron Ultrascan 15 monitor, Altec Lansing PC speakers.

Render farm:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760, Core 2 Quad q9550, 4x2gb DDR2-800, Radeon HD 6350 (Cinema 4D needs OpenGL 4 to run and it isn't GPU rendered so this lets me just see the image), 80gb/500gb Seagate HDDs

Linux/2000s testbench:

Spoiler

Core 2 Quad q9650, Asus board, 2x2gb DDR2-800, GTX 670 2gb, 500gb Seagate HDD, 64gb AliExpress SSD, cheap Rosewill case

NAS:

Spoiler

Gigabyte Atom board, Sugo SG13 case, 2x 2tb HDD, 2x 1tb HDD, 1x 60gb SSD

image.png.7092de5fdef2ede7f0f6df8012b82d1a.png

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w