The crypto bubble might have just burst, a top 10 stable coin jumped off a cliff and now all crypto is crashing hard

This is an incredibly long and complicated topic, I'm only gonna cover the basics here since I don't have time and I couldn't do it justice anyway. For more info see KiraTV, Upper Echelon Gaming and/or Coffeezilla on YouTube, these guys cover this stuff and unlike me actually understand the ins and outs of blockchain.

To begin lets establish a few things, the entire project is called Terra and it contains 2 different coins/tokens, TerraUSD(UST) is the stable coin, Luna was the algorithmic coin. Its important to understand they are 2 parts of the same thing.

OK so back in Oct 2021 the Terra project founder got into a twitter dispute over a possible attack method to destroy his project, not gonna go into too much detail but am mentioning it because its possible this was the start of the downfall. Essentially he responded to a random who posted a theoretical way of destroying the coin by calling them poor and then goading billionaires into trying it out to "see what happened".

Fast forward to last week, the market noticed a billionaire making some big trades, the Terra founder reached out on twitter and was told "maybe I have big plans for Luna?"

Then this happened...

UST_7D_graph_coinmarketcap.png

The chaos has been fueled by a steep slide that has seen $200 billion in value wiped out in a single day. Bitcoin alone fell to below $25,000 on the morning of May 12th, a price not seen since December 2020 and less than half of its peak in November 2021. Other cryptocurrencies have faced a similarly punishing few days, with Ethereum having lost around 20 percent of its value in just 24 hours.

Terra’s problems started on May 9th when the price of the UST stablecoin began to slide dramatically. Because of the way that algorithmic stablecoins operate, this caused a huge increase in the supply of the corresponding Luna cryptocurrency token, which is traded against UST in order to balance the price.

Now to be super clear, we don't actually know why this happened yet, I'm sure the reddit sherlocks are trawling the ledger RN to find out however this caused what can only be described as a full market meltdown, pretty much all crypto is down, stable coins have been hit really hard but even the old faithful names like BTC and Ether have taken hits.

Its gets even worse, turns out the Terra founder happens to be one of the top 5 BTC holders on Earth and now everyone is panicking that he's gonna liquidate all his BTC and crash that market as well.

Source - https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/12/23069232/terra-luna-collapse-stablecoins-crypto-crash-bitcoin

My thoughts

I thought I would be jumping for joy and shouting "I told you so" from my megaphone on the rooftops, then I remember that a fuck load of normal, not very wealthy people just lost a combined sum of $200 Billion, many are left with literally nothing and have zero recourse about what just happened.

This is not a happy day.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I uhh, sorry, I uhh did this before.

Clubbed it with another topic not realising it's impact.

Literally every other crpyto fell with the exception of a couple stable coins

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

well I'll let the mods decide whether to leave, merge or lock 🙂

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Good riddance if you ask me.

Maybe GPU prices will continue to fall.

I only feel bad for the poor saps that invested their life savings in cryptocurrencies. But then again, everyone knew or should have known it was akin to putting it all on black at the roulette table.

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Good riddance if you ask me.

Maybe GPU prices will continue to fall.

I only feel bad for the poor saps that invested their life savings in cryptocurrencies. But then again, everyone knew or should have known it was akin to putting it all on black at the roulette table.

Its much easier to fool someone than to convince someone they are being fooled

Mark Twain

image.png.4c22666952e05ec4d4d5ac2ba8b99413.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Looks like a normal friday to me.

You can call it a "bubble burst" when BTC is worth less than 1k, and ETH is less than 100$.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

15 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You can call it a "bubble burst" when BTC is worth less than 1k, and ETH is less than 100$.

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy, meanwhile everyone else be like..

Michael-Jackson-Popcorn-GIF.webp?resolut

>top 5 BTC holders on Earth

Not even close by a massive margin.

USDT and UST aren't comparable either.

The current marketwide crash has nothing to do with LUNA or UST.

1 minute ago, strajk- said:

>5 BTC holders on Earth

Not even close by a massive margin.

USDT and UST aren't comparable either.

The current marketwide crash has nothing to do with LUNA or UST.

Wanna clarify and provide sources? As I said, I'm not a crypto bro, I'm only following the shitshow after the NFT crash from a few days ago.

Not sure I even mentioned USDT at all, did I?

Well the 4 or 5 videos I've watched all disagree, the current crash happened when Binance delisted Luna.

If you can show sources to where I was wrong I'll happily update the OP 🙂

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

many are left with literally nothing and have zero recourse about what just happened.

this is why ponzi schemes are typically illegal... it works until it doesn't with nothing to back it up.

i also disagree that its "incredibly difficult" it really isnt.

and im also not sure i shall feel bad about people,  because i cant imagine no one told them about the obvious risks.

who is really to blame however is lawmakers.  the internet and computers arent a new thing, and things like what is basically  a digital "snowball scheme" which are illegal "in the real world" should also be illegal "in the digital world" (" because i think thats how these people think, personally i dont really make this distinction,  a computer is just as real as any other real world object) 

51 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

that's the other thing... isnt it likely to recover soon, i mean el salvador (?) is already "dipping the dips"?

But maybe their dude is just too much on reddit... 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Its much easier to fool someone than to convince someone they are being fooled

Mark Twain

A very wise man,  this man. 🙂

1 hour ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

yeah, you did, but with this el salvador angle, which is only a small'ish part of the whole story. 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Wanna clarify and provide sources? As I said, I'm not a crypto bro, I'm only following the shitshow after the NFT crash from a few days ago.

Not sure I even mentioned USDT at all, did I?

Well the 4 or 5 videos I've watched all disagree, the current crash happened when Binance delisted Luna.

If you can show sources to where I was wrong I'll happily update the OP 🙂

You're the one claiming he is a top 5, you're the one that has to back it up, not me, the blockchain is not mythical, you can look up the explorer whenever you want to see who is the wealthiest...and he is not one of them...

USDT was mentioned for falling to 0.95 so I don't see the relevancy to UST, tether dropping is not a new occurrence, it happens quite often but quickly corrects back to $1...

The market was already crashing way before the LUNA debacle, it has been on a continuous downtrend since 22.03.30 and has been even before that, so how is LUNA responsible again?

2 minutes ago, strajk- said:

You're the one claiming he is a top 5, you're the one that has to back it up, not me, the blockchain is not mythical, you can look up the explorer whenever you want to see who is the wealthiest...and he is not one of them...

USDT was mentioned for falling to 0.95 so I don't see the relevancy to UST, tether dropping is not a new occurrence, it happens quite often but quickly corrects back to $1...

The market was already crashing way before the LUNA debacle, it has been on a continuous downtrend since 22.03.30 and has been even before that, so how is LUNA responsible again?

I'm guessing you are invested....

Again, I don't do crypto and honestly DGAF who holds what, I thought I had read he was top 5, turns out I read he was on track to be top 5 before the crash. My bad.

Where was USDT or Tether mentioned at all?

Well the people who really cover this stuff, including actual market analysts are all saying the same thing, this CURRENT crash is because of what happened with UST/Luna. If you disagree then whatever, again I'm not invested and DGAF either way.

Fun fact though: The market being on downtrend before Luna crashing and Luna crashing causing the market to implode are not mutually exclusive...

Wild price fluctuations on the back of one billionaire making vague statements is the hallmark of a truly stable economy.

/s

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm guessing you are invested....

Again, I don't do crypto and honestly DGAF who holds what, I thought I had read he was top 5, turns out I read he was on track to be top 5 before the crash. My bad.

Where was USDT or Tether mentioned at all?

Well the people who really cover this stuff, including actual market analysts are all saying the same thing, this CURRENT crash is because of what happened with UST/Luna. If you disagree then whatever, again I'm not invested and DGAF either way.

Fun fact though: The market being on downtrend before Luna crashing and Luna crashing causing the market to implode are not mutually exclusive...

I am not invested, what if I was?

Your source literally starts talking about the market and USDT in general even though it has no relevancy to the event at all...yes I bother with reading the linked articles, reading only the post in LTT is akin to only reading a headline.

3 minutes ago, strajk- said:

I am not invested, what if I was?

Your source literally starts talking about the market and USDT in general even though it has no relevancy to the event at all...yes I bother with reading the linked articles, reading only the post in LTT is akin to only reading a headline.

Right, so you built a strawman then, gotcha.

You're right, it has no relevancy to this discussion because nobody here mentioned it at all until you did....

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Right, so you built a strawman then, gotcha.

You're right, it has no relevancy to this discussion because nobody here mentioned it at all until you did....

A strawman would imply that I said that you said something, I brought up points about both the post and the article, never did I say that you talked about USDT...the only thing I asked sources for was the top 5 claim...

Nice strawman btw

-= Topic moved to Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining =-

Topic doesn't fall under Tech News. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, strajk- said:

A strawman would imply that I said that you said something, I brought up points about both the post and the article, never did I say that you talked about USDT...the only thing I asked sources for was the top 5 claim...

Nice strawman btw

Nope...

This fallacy occurs when, in attempting to refute another person's argument, you address only a weak or distorted version of it

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Nope...

Which is exactly what you did by calling it a strawman, I never claimed you talked about USDT, when talking about the news am I supposed only engage with what you post here? Then why link sources at all?

It's clear cut in my reply when I actually engage with your post, that's on the Top 5 claim...

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy, meanwhile everyone else be like..

Michael-Jackson-Popcorn-GIF.webp?resolut

And you keep telling yourself that, try to keep off of reddit next time. I don't have any money in crypto, but i am just annoyed at the boys who keep calling the wolf. Like BTC falls 10% and redditors are out here clapping their hands hahaha told you so crypto is worthless, and when it goes back up they are nowhere to be seen.

I want crypto to fall as much as the next guy here, but just annoyed at people like you who don't really learn from history and keep annoying me. When I read "cryptobubble has bursted" I want blood on the street, BTC at 0$, not this BS. So please don't do another reddit moment, thanks. In the biggest crash BTC value fell by over 90%, right now it is down by like 50% and we have a mister reddit expert declaring it dead, lol.

You can say that the bubble is popped when every single crypto is down 99% ATH, otherwise it is just a Friday.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.