So, my current PC has some pretty nice hardware in a full tower case. I didn't want to drill or mod it after I decided to take the plunge into custom looping. After a few years of service my Thermaltake Core V71 is being retired. After breaking the front intake fans molex controller trying to cable manage and many nightmares trying to cable manage I'm ready to move onto a new case that I can make neater and a smoother run overall cable management experience.  (I'm aware my coolant level looks low in the second image of my loops). I'm planning on having a dual loop system eventually! I'm excited for it!!

Parts obtained:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - 4.6GHz OC
  • ASUS Crosshair VIII Extreme
  • Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3090 OC - Though I'm debating this or my Zotac Trinity. (I've had waterblock issues with my Trinity and got the Eagle fairly cheap preblocked second hand.)
  • Corsair Vengeange RGB Pro 32GB 3200MHz
  • 20TB~ of Storage - 12TB NAS and the rest in varying SSD's
  • Thermaltake Core V71 (currently) being moved to Thermaltake The Tower 900
  • EKWB PE 360mm Rad
  • EKWB Vardar fans (looking to replace)
  • EKWB  TBE D5 Pump/res combo 300ml
  • Roughly 4l left of a 5l bottle of distilled water
  • EVGA P2 750W 80+ Plat (750W is recommended by Nvidia, I may change in the future when the build is done or close)

Parts to get:

• Second EKWB pump/res perhaps 200ml for the cpu
  • EWKB 480 or 540mm rad for GPU loop
  • Tubing for GPU loop
  • EKWB pump/res mounts
  • G1.4 drain port (I thought the res could come with one and I was wrong)
  • 90 and 45 degree fittings my god I should have got these anyway.
  • EKWB blood red dye or a different colour, thinking of changing to a more halo theme rather than doom/resident evil. Perhaps a halo theme. Would love recommendations for either doom or halo in the comments!
  • RGB strips (optional) I feel these could help my theme by spreading the colours about, though I may need an additional fan hub or splitters. Suggestions would be very appreciated. 

Optional parts:

• Screen for monitoring
  • Coloured fittings 

I'll edit this segment with optional parts if I think of more.

20220217_201030.jpg

current pc internals new gpu.png

The new case I can't wait to get into!

new case.png

One tip I'll give is for the reservoir, either have the inlet go to the pump or get one of the push down tubes (I know there's a proper name I just forget what it is). Doing that way can make bleeding the loop pretty difficult since it keeps injecting air to the loop, also it's kinda loud. You might have one but I can't really tell with the photos, and the fluid level is a little too low for it to help if you do. 

Not a bad rig though. 

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

One tip I'll give is for the reservoir, either have the inlet go to the pump or get one of the push down tubes (I know there's a proper name I just forget what it is). Doing that way can make bleeding the loop pretty difficult since it keeps injecting air to the loop, also it's kinda loud. You might have one but I can't really tell with the photos, and the fluid level is a little too low for it to help if you do. 

Not a bad rig though. 

For now it's in the current case waiting for Tuesday or Wednesday when my exams are done for now. I don't wanna be without a working pc for too long. It's exam period and I want to make a start, it's a simple transplant for now but I wanna make into something much more! That Tower 900 is calling me to build in it.  I got it like new second hand with a ruined box but it's good enough. Just needs a little bit of shipping love for now.

1 hour ago, kazumi_mikuzi_x said:

ASUS Crosshair VIII Extreme

Ive mostly seen these as joke tier meme boards with no use other than being a show build board with cheaper more oc focused boards nuking it in ram oc

though why go for a crosshair board anyways? Is there something unique this board features compared to other boards like b550/x570 unify (x) or b550/x570 aorus master, even x570 dark? Cause the boards i mention here seem to be straight up superior to the crosshair in ocing (particularly ram), ik theres the dimm.2 thingy for extra m.2 but other than that is there anything that makes the crosshair noticably better than these aformentioned boards? Havent really seen any redeeming qualities of the crosshair compared to other top end boards so far

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x - 4.6GHz OC

Manual oc isnt the way to go, just use pbo and let it automatically boost cpu freq and curve optimizer if youd like to do abit of undervolting or optimizing the volts

EKWB Vardar fans (looking to replace)

Get some arctic p12/120 argb as they are noctua level performance and theyre pretty cheap too, theres also non rgb fans if you dont like rgb fans

RGB strips (optional) I feel these could help my theme by spreading the colours about, though I may need an additional fan hub or splitters. Suggestions would be very appreciated. 

Ive mostly seen those cheapo usb rgb strips, if you want smooth light from cheapo rgb strips then you can put some sort of diffuser ontop of them to make the light smoother

From the pictures the build looks like a complete mess xD  actually pretty refreshing to see a watercooled build that isnt polished like theres no tomorrow

unfortunately i dont focus on themes so cant give any reccomendations there, though i guess you could reference other halo themed builds/objects

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ive mostly seen these as joke tier meme boards with no use other than being a show build board with cheaper more oc focused boards nuking it in ram oc

though why go for a crosshair board anyways? Is there something unique this board features compared to other boards like b550/x570 unify (x) or b550/x570 aorus master, even x570 dark? Cause the boards i mention here seem to be straight up superior to the crosshair in ocing (particularly ram), ik theres the dimm.2 thingy for extra m.2 but other than that is there anything that makes the crosshair noticably better than these aformentioned boards? Havent really seen any redeeming qualities of the crosshair compared to other top end boards so far

Manual oc isnt the way to go, just use pbo and let it automatically boost cpu freq and curve optimizer if youd like to do abit of undervolting or optimizing the volts

Get some arctic p12/120 argb as they are noctua level performance and theyre pretty cheap too, theres also non rgb fans if you dont like rgb fans

Ive mostly seen those cheapo usb rgb strips, if you want smooth light from cheapo rgb strips then you can put some sort of diffuser ontop of them to make the light smoother

From the pictures the build looks like a complete mess xD  actually pretty refreshing to see a watercooled build that isnt polished like theres no tomorrow

unfortunately i dont focus on themes so cant give any reccomendations there, though i guess you could reference other halo themed builds/objects

I used the motherboard OC software for it, let it do its thing which worked well enough for me. I think it's 4.675x100 as the actual speed but it did the job of set and forget. I got the board mainly because I liked the looks and specs, gave me lots of space to work with too. I did debate the x570 formula for the liquid cooled VRM's but opted for this instead, I simply wanted a flagship board for the build lmao. As for the looks I want to make the build cleaner in the new case but I don't want perfection like most people. If it looks decent I'm happy lmao

1 minute ago, kazumi_mikuzi_x said:

I used the motherboard OC software for it, let it do its thing which worked well enough for me. I think it's 4.675x100 as the actual speed but it did the job of set and forget. I got the board mainly because I liked the looks and specs, gave me lots of space to work with too. I did debate the x570 formula for the liquid cooled VRM's but opted for this instead, I simply wanted a flagship board for the build lmao. As for the looks I want to make the build cleaner in the new case but I don't want perfection like most people. If it looks decent I'm happy lmao

Auto oc is horrible most of the time as it usually shoves uneccesary amounts of volt through the cpu or whatever you are auto ocing, pbo should do auto oc better than asus for all i know

Atleast the board has thunderbolt but the asus proart b550 has the same thing so rip crosshairs being overpriced show boards with the only thing to show for the price being impressive on paper but useless real world specs like the stupidly overkill vrm, yea asus crosshair are complete jokes that are only for show builds, well if you wanna try cpu oc then you are fine but try ram oc and b550 unify x or aorus master would be a better pick

On 5/13/2022 at 7:58 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Auto oc is horrible most of the time as it usually shoves uneccesary amounts of volt through the cpu or whatever you are auto ocing, pbo should do auto oc better than asus for all i know

Atleast the board has thunderbolt but the asus proart b550 has the same thing so rip crosshairs being overpriced show boards with the only thing to show for the price being impressive on paper but useless real world specs like the stupidly overkill vrm, yea asus crosshair are complete jokes that are only for show builds, well if you wanna try cpu oc then you are fine but try ram oc and b550 unify x or aorus master would be a better pick

To be fair, I liked the look and specs of the board so I got it lmao, I see your point but I'm happy with it

15 minutes ago, kazumi_mikuzi_x said:

To be fair, I liked the look and specs of the board so I got it lmao, I see your point but I'm happy with it

Yea i think ppl should do more reaserch instead of looking at the board brand and on paper specs then making their decision, the crosshair viii extreme is a later release board so hopefully the ram topology has been updated and ram ocing wont suck ass on that board like the earlier crosshair hero version, not sure if the dark hero has updated topology or not. If the ram topology is still sht then thats an L for a top tier board

Well maybe next time when you decide to upgrade the system

Also why dual loop? Ive considered something similar for my system but decided against it cause i do not want another 90 ish watt aquaruim pump nuking my power bills, you could just route a rad inbetween the cpu and gpu and acheive a similar effect to dual loop cooling wise but less power consumption and hassle and saves money, and no there is no benifit of running the gpu near ambient other than a 10mhz gain compared to 60c or something, 5800x isnt even that power hungry so you wont be dumping that much heat into the loop anyways and a 480/540 will cool the liquid back down with ease

My new ssd has come, I'm a data hoarder mainly for games. I enjoy having a wide range at once on demand locally and with the UK having a whole 2 steam servers I'm gonna keep a lot installed so I can have choices to my hearts content.

It's a new 970 evo 4tb, I'd rather have overkill storage and not need it than run out like I've done many times over the years 

20220514_122639.jpg

57 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yea i think ppl should do more reaserch instead of looking at the board brand and on paper specs then making their decision, the crosshair viii extreme is a later release board so hopefully the ram topology has been updated and ram ocing wont suck ass on that board like the earlier crosshair hero version, not sure if the dark hero has updated topology or not. If the ram topology is still sht then thats an L for a top tier board

Well maybe next time when you decide to upgrade the system

Also why dual loop? Ive considered something similar for my system but decided against it cause i do not want another 90 ish watt aquaruim pump nuking my power bills, you could just route a rad inbetween the cpu and gpu and acheive a similar effect to dual loop cooling wise but less power consumption and hassle and saves money, and no there is no benifit of running the gpu near ambient other than a 10mhz gain compared to 60c or something, 5800x isnt even that power hungry so you wont be dumping that much heat into the loop anyways and a 480/540 will cool the liquid back down with ease

On paper specs are a good indicator of what you're getting. Especially with motherboards. It had all the expansion I wanted and more. It was a feature rich board that was worth it to me and my pc.

A dual loop is more for the looks than anything, I want to go two different coolant colours. I'm more than aware the temps on my 5800x will be fine but the GPU in series is keeping it much warmer.  I'm building a pc that I want and that is worth it to me which is the main thing in anyones build. The wirth to the owner.

I'm not married to a dual loop but it may work better for the final look when I'm done, it's just something I want to at least consider 

3 minutes ago, kazumi_mikuzi_x said:

I'm building a pc that I want and that is worth it to me which is the main thing in anyones build. The wirth to the owner

Right you have basically unlimited budget i assume, a pcs worth in my opinion is measured by its performance/oc capability, the soul you put into it, and also looks (but not rgb or clean crap)

I am making a ghetto waterloop out of car and aquarium parts and lets just say its a PITA, but alteast i get the bragging right of being cheaper and nuking the performance of custom loops when this thing is upgraded and i get a bigger rad that isnt just a 40mm thicc 480mm evap rad (found a bigger evap rad off another car for 5$ but ill buy that later), imo its more impressive than a fancy custom loop cause you actually put effort into it and you are not using off the shelf parts specifically made for pcs, also the aesthetic of a beefy car rad > aesthetic of pc rads xD

IMG_20220424_140542.thumb.jpg.9273da6c48c8f93bd8e381b15ade98a8.jpg

Heres pretty much the current state of this pile of crap but once i get my adhesive issues solved ill get more progress done xD

We all value our pcs differently so ofc youll have diff values than mine, you are prob a 30+ year old adult that has financially succeeded in life and can spend tons of money for top end hardware and i am a pretty much broke 15 year old that likes running pc parts to the ground by overclocking and has no budget so how much more different can it get?

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the build: 

it's actually working very well, need some more fan screws. I've decided I wanted to add 3 ek vardars for pulling air in to maximise my cooling

Completed so far:

• built the rig
  • rebuilt my desk - it turned out it was too tall for my drawers lol so I had an actually fun time with some DIY 
  • leak tested and use tested to mo issues at all. I managed to do the new loop without any leaks first time which was great 
  • Addressed rgb issues - my pump/res and a couple other devices weren't fully working.  They were a constant rainbow which has been sorted.

Still to do:

• get a small screen and suction cups for mounting the screen
  • Get screen setup to show performance metrics -JayzTwoCents has a great guide I'll be using for this
  • get a second radiator for extra heat dissipation - I'm hoping with this I'd be able to keep the coolant temp itself closer to ambient even under a heavy load as opposed to being very warm to the touch
  • sort out coolant temp monitoring - I can see CPU and GPU temps easily but not my coolant temps, any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've thought about just using a temp sensor wire but that just seems dumb lmao

20220521_030650.jpg

On 5/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, kazumi_mikuzi_x said:

An update on the build: 

it's actually working very well, need some more fan screws. I've decided I wanted to add 3 ek vardars for pulling air in to maximise my cooling

Completed so far:

• built the rig
  • rebuilt my desk - it turned out it was too tall for my drawers lol so I had an actually fun time with some DIY 
  • leak tested and use tested to mo issues at all. I managed to do the new loop without any leaks first time which was great 
  • Addressed rgb issues - my pump/res and a couple other devices weren't fully working.  They were a constant rainbow which has been sorted.

Still to do:

• get a small screen and suction cups for mounting the screen
  • Get screen setup to show performance metrics -JayzTwoCents has a great guide I'll be using for this
  • get a second radiator for extra heat dissipation - I'm hoping with this I'd be able to keep the coolant temp itself closer to ambient even under a heavy load as opposed to being very warm to the touch
  • sort out coolant temp monitoring - I can see CPU and GPU temps easily but not my coolant temps, any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've thought about just using a temp sensor wire but that just seems dumb lmao

20220521_030650.jpg

Another update! 

So I've discovered my psu may be dying or at least my system is having issues. I've had to undervolt my gpu to be able to use anything video intensive and remove my cpu oc. So now as opposed to screens and my monitoring solutions my main priority is a 1kw titanium or plat rated psu. Any suggestions are great but I'm sure I'll find something 

• 1 month later...

It's been a little while, work has been keeping me busy and I've been trying to save due to some unexpected expenses but there's a small update to the build.

I've gotten my hands on a Corsair HX1000 that was on sale on a UK site that made it drop down to matching 850w PSU prices for 80+ platinum ratings. This should now have extra room for my GPU and CPU at stock speeds for now until I can get a few days to dial in some nice overclocks.

It's not the prettiest cable management in the back but it's good enough for me.

20220706_023914.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, time for an update.

Now my student grants have hit I can more feasibly attempt my goals however one of my GPU's died. So now it's time to get some waterblocks for my Trinity RTX 3090.

While testing I've managed to get the average reported temps no higher than 66C I'm going to invest in an active backplate solution again, my original one had little success but I feel now I've done more watercooling and a second card I'm capable enough to attach and complete that loop or engineer a solution around any isses with the goal being to reduce the GDDR6X heat as much as possible.

Once my gpu is blocked and working again I'll be investing in a 560mm radiator and some new fans for my current 360mm and separating the loops so that I can maximise my cooling on each component. 

I have now also set up temp monitoring, I got an EKWB  coolant temp sensor inserted to assist with that.

For now, here's the current state of my rig.

480f3950-10bf-43c3-87ff-51d7a77e1078.jpg