My Wife Is Going to KILL Me... Home LAN Center 5 Gamers 1 CPU Build

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

On 5/12/2022 at 7:23 PM, spitfire2717 said:

how would one go about setting this up. there isnt alot of info in the video

Watching any of ythe previous ones? 😄

Disclaimer obvious this was a joke. And a little free advertising for the LTT peeps.
But none of these video's explain exactly how to. But im sure If you google it you can find a solution.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

What kind of dock they use for the keyboards, mouses, etc for each vm?

Why not use a Supermicro server like the AS-4124GS-TNR? You can add a additional 0,5u or 1u cover to the server to take in account for the locations of the GPU power connectors and will eliminate any need for a riser card of sorts.

It will give you TWO CPUs and more mem space and more storage space in the front.

Hit me up and I can see if I I can get a PM to pre-check if the setup could possibly work 🤷🏻

Edited by IJsklont

I can relate to the statement that "Can we talk about the fact that we just hooked up like 5 GPUs on PCIe risers, with two USB cards. So that's 7 cards into the system and it turned right on...][previous projects like this, we are talking multiple days to just get the computer to turn on with everything plugged in."

Isn't PCIe wonderful?

I have obviously never had systems not boot due to various PCIe devices deciding to not be in the right mood for various odd reasons... (It is however amazing that PCIe somehow supports surprise hot swap... Despite its overall stupendous instabilities at every other corner... It would be pretty nice if PCIe SIG decided to smooth out some of the wrinkles instead of sprinkling on more glitter and hot glue...)

i run something similar to this, but on a much smaller scale. i have a number of GPU VMs that could run games, and my friends connect to them using parsec. i also use one VM to play games when i'm visiting my parents, just so i don't have to lug around a heavy gaming laptop. unlike Linus, i'm using Proxmox.

one thing Linus and co needs to watch out for, is that they have to figure out a way to hide the fact that the VMs are... VMs. Windows is capable of detecting whether it is running as a VM or not, and some anticheats can also do the same. there are a number of CPU flags that i have to use (some of them hidden from the GUI, so i had to edit the config files manually to enable) to accomplish this. prior to doing so, some games, like Genshin Impact, would refuse to run.

a quick way to check, is to open up task manager and click on the CPU tab in the Performance tab. If you see the line "Virtual machine: Yes", and the CPU name is "Common KVM processor" or something along those lines, then it means that Windows has detected that it is running in a VM. otherwise, if the CPU tab can detect the name of your CPU and otherwise look normal, then you've succeeded.

EDIT: also, KVMs like Unraid and Proxmox can underprovision CPU cores, meaning that you can assign more cores to your VMs than you actually have. this means that you can totally give each of these VMs 16 cores or more, and they'll all run just fine. since most applications and games won't be able to saturate all the cores on a system, you can get away with this quite easily with basically no performance impact. this only becomes an issue if everybody decide to do something stupid, like run prime95 on every VM or something. but even then, the only issue is reduced performance.

I would love to set something like this up, but am limited due to funds (and practicality) I have installed VMware on my PC and installed World of Warships to be able to play a dual session with my young nephews on 1 PC using 2 accounts. Framerates on the main PC are steady at 60 fps but only around 40-50 on the VM. I MAY be able to set up another VM if I run WoW on lower settings However, that would be the limit with 16 gb of RAM and an older 6 core Ryzen CPU. I still think it's pretty cool, but game selection is very limited by my older hardware and the fact there is no easy way to pass my GPU through on the VM. It's still nice not to have multiple PC's heating up a relatively small room during gaming sessions.

How does the big monitor show 4 inputs at the same time and Linus can switch between them so fast?

the whole family of course being linus himself 😛 didn't know Linus could multi-task 5 desktops?

50 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Isn't PCIe wonderful?

yes, when taking your chance 🙂 PCIe riser (extension) issues, and more. Gen 3 vs Gen 4. Then get whatever Gen 5 is.

*drools over wifi 7 qualcomm routers on the market*

So Unraid is the hypervisor in this case? Cool, never played with that one before but it seems remarkably simple to setup and assign resource. 

"I had a really nice poop this morning. It was one long and..."

19 minutes ago, Suyu said:

How does the big monitor show 4 inputs at the same time and Linus can switch between them so fast?

"Picture by picture" like this has been a thing on a larger displays for a while. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, moriz1 said:

one thing Linus and co needs to watch out for, is that they have to figure out a way to hide the fact that the VMs are... VMs. Windows is capable of detecting whether it is running as a VM or not, and some anticheats can also do the same. there are a number of CPU flags that i have to use (some of them hidden from the GUI, so i had to edit the config files manually to enable) to accomplish this. prior to doing so, some games, like Genshin Impact, would refuse to run.

This was my deal breaker for the same build since you can and probably will get perma-banned with BattleEye if it just detects that it's a VM and afaik it has its own ways to detect VMs beyond included in Windows 

What case is Linus holding at 2:45? I have been looking for a M-ATX case that can mount a SFX PSU, and haven't found much.

Edit: Found it. Its the Sliger Cerberus MicroATX

Screenshot 2022-05-12 133550.png

Edited by QuestionMKII
Update: Found It

So the comment at 16:38 about buying CSGO... The game's been free for a while now. You can pretty much just make a new account on the spot and play CSGO. Asking around for other accounts was unnecessary and probably took more time than just setting up a burner email.

That setup is still JANKY AF. Especially since now you can get server grade, rack friendly solutions that will accommodate 10+ full length PCIe cards easily AND take up only 4U of rack space. Put it another way, if you don't have 4U of empty space available in that hideous thing of yours that you call a rack, well, you've got bigger problems 🤣

Never mind that you could also enjoy a dual CPU system, max out your RAM well beyond 2TB. add gobs of fast NVMe storage, throw in four big spinners for handling big files, tack on an Optane drive for cache and even connect using dual 200Gbit QSFP56. You also avoid the dual PSU issues with a server and at the end of the day it simply looks a lot more professional and streamlined too.

Of course it would probably set you back another $100K and that's the crux of the problem here - you are just a cheap ass. Re-purposing previously used consumer hardware like that is indicative of a poor man's attempt of a solution. We can agree that it works but it is also an incredible disappointment at the same time.

Unless you are just pretending to be a cheap ass and the actual/better 4U hardware comes later.. you know... because you have an excuse again to make yet another video??? If all you want are ideas excuses for making videos I could feed you plenty 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, morairtym said:

Should look at ZFS using Deduplication like craft computing did a few months back for the steam game library.

love to see craft computing shoutout here, he's great

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Jake: "We should have bought CS:GO"

CS:GO: "But i have been Free 2 Play for years"

Jake:

CS:GO on Steam:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

What VMs are they using? KVM, Virtualbox or VMWare? And how exactly are they passing the GPU through?

4 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

What VMs are they using? KVM, Virtualbox or VMWare? And how exactly are they passing the GPU through?

I imagine it might be the unRAID webGUI

9 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

I imagine it might be the unRAID webGUI

do you need like a certain card or is it just its own OS?

13 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

do you need like a certain card or is it just its own OS?

own "OS"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Going zen 3 (TR pro 5k or Milan) for final build?

I hope so...

Whats the plan for storage ... nas or internal or combo of both?

Still only going with 10Gb for all 5 seats sharing the same system?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?