Who has had their Seasonic PSU replaced by Seasonic due to RTX 3080/3090 shutdown issue

hamilton21017
5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

High Power uses the ferrite bean on the +12V sense wire in their PSUs.  That's how I learned about it.

I remember someone on the JonnyGuru forums commenting to you about the option of twisting a GND wire with +12V sense wire. Would that work?

49 minutes ago, Sakee__ said:

I remember someone on the JonnyGuru forums commenting to you about the option of twisting a GND wire with +12V sense wire. Would that work?

Good call. Yeah.  That works sometimes too, though I haven't tried it with the affected Prime PSUs in particular.  I pretty much gave up almost a year ago after butting heads with SS engineers.  😄

On 5/21/2022 at 3:31 AM, hamilton21017 said:

Thanks for the answer.
No, I simply want to know which users actually did the replacement to the 2021 model after it caused shutdown problems.
Have they had any problems since the replacement? This is all I want to know. The headcount is what I want to know.

If that is what you want to know, it would be better if you just made a thread titled "Who has had their Seasonic PSU replaced by Seasonic due to RTX 3080/3090 shutdown issues".

This thread just smells of you trying to find evidence to pin Seasonic at fault for misleading or lying to customers about this issue. 

You already have an e-mail from Seasonic saying that their older PSU platforms can have this shutdown issue with 3080/3090, and the current Prime PX/GX/TX have not had this issue reported. So, they are already telling you that their older PSU platform which could have the issue and the newer PSU platform which they use does not.

You already said that you had the issue with a December 2020 PSU, but it has not happened since the new June 2021 PSU. There are other posts around here and reddit that said that OneSeasonic PSUs manufactured after March 2021 are supposed to fix the issue. In my own post in a different thread, I reported that my PSU is March 2021, and has not had the issue appear.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:29 AM, Dogzilla07 said:

@Sleepycat3Hey, do you remember, what happened exactly, and how long were you running the choke before it stopped working ?[/quote]

My PSU was the older platform, SSR-850PD, which was was using for 2 years at the time. My workload is purely tensor core based (inter-frame interpolation for videos), so I was getting power shutdowns on a specific software which used the tensor cores. There was other software which also used the tensor cores (video upscaling and detail recovery), but somehow did not trigger shutdowns. The ferrite choke worked for about 3 weeks. The issue went away, but at the 3 week mark, it came back again with that same specific software. This time however, the shutdowns also happened with the other software too which did not happen in the past, and it became very repeatable, almost 100% reproducible. So I initiated the RMA.

Interestingly, I put my 2008 Corsair HX-850W back into system while the RMA was in progress and it ran the PC perfectly for many weeks. No shutdowns, no crashes, no power issues with my tensor loads.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:29 AM, Dogzilla07 said:

I found this post on your topic on overclock: "putting it through its paces with the tensor loads that used to shut my old SSR-850PD PSU down, even after clamping the sense wire (that fix only worked for a few weeks)."

It's very straightforward:

1. bean/choke should fix, @Sleepycat3lasted only a few weeks, need more details

2. removing the sense pin works 100% (with no time limit)

3. fixed units are fixed

4. It's very unlikely there's any new Seasonic ones sold as of few months ago that are not fixed.

We would have seen more people pop up with issues otherwise, as Seasonic sales are as strong as ever, due to high profile youtuber in-video advertisting.

I read that most people who have had their PSU RMA'd for this issue were given a March 2021 manufacturing date or newer PSU. Hamilton's PSU is a OneSeasonic from December 2020, which seemed to still have the issue. Hence my personal opinion is that Seasonic might have had some PSUs of the older platform, but named with the new naming convention. It is not uncommon when transitioning branding that legacy parts are used. These would then still have the issue eventhough they are OneSeasonic, and my advice is to make sure that your manufacturing date is March 2021 or later, based on my sample size of 1 and another post on reddit who also mentioned that date. Not really concrete evidence, but I can say that my Mach 2021 is working perfectly with all this load.

5 hours ago, hamilton21017 said:

4. It's very unlikely there's any new Seasonic ones sold as of few months ago that are not fixed.

I also exchanged information directly with Sleepycat3.
Mutual question.
Models after 2021 are 100% problem-free.
Can we trust them 100%?
I need a yes or no answer.

How would people on the forum be able to tell you if you can trust Seasonic 100% based on our experience? That would be madness, and personally, each of us should form our own opinions about the brand. Don't just follow the crowd and be lemmings jumping off a cliff because others are doing it.

Personally from my experience, Seasonic global provided me warranty through their local service partner in my country. The PSU has a 12 year warranty that is also transferable if you sell your PSU or buy a used one with the original receipt from the initial purchase. The older Prime and Prime Ultra PSUs had their warranty also increased from 10 to 12 years to match the new Prime OneSeasonic models. I contacted them, gave them details of my issue and they approved the RMA and gave me a brand new PSU after sending in my old one. 

So would I trust my new PSU? I will use it until it fails. If it fails again, I'll contact them for warranty and they can decide what to do. I'll keep doing this for the remainder of the 12 years warranty. Does this mean I trust Seasonic 100%? Of course not. But I have already made this purchase and will keep using it until I can't get anymore service.

Would I buy a new Seasonic? Probably not, given that my 13 year old HX-850W could do everything that the SSR-850PD could not. So I'm more likely to purchase a Corsair HX series when I build my next PC.

In short, don't rely on us to make the decision for you to trust Seasonic. Make your own decision and own it. If someone here tells you that you can trust Seasonic and you then experience another issue, you'll just end up blaming that person. There are many other things in life for us to focus on, and not something as minor as this. Just keep using your new PSU. If it fails as well, then post back and share your experience. Until then, there is nothing that shows that a March 2021 or newer OneSeasonic PSU having issues with the 3080/3090.

Understood.
Thank you.
I will start a new separate thread.

@hamilton21017Just change the name of this thread to "Who has had their Seasonic PSU replaced by Seasonic due to RTX 3080/3090 shutdown issues."

FurMark+Prime95 SmallFFT VariableLoadTesting 2022/5/22

Tested by hitting the space bar repeatedly for more than 5 minutes.

I tested it again today by leaving the power cable unplugged and letting it discharge for at least 6 hours before starting it up.
Of course I cleaned the inside too!

kFdMyQQ.jpg

I did the spacebar streak test with FurMark+Prime95smallFTT for more than 10 minutes this time.

My fingers are tired.
Of course, I did a game benchmark test after that.
No abnormalities.
That's all I have to report.

1 hour ago, hamilton21017 said:

I did the spacebar streak test with FurMark+Prime95smallFTT for more than 10 minutes this time.

My fingers are tired.
Of course, I did a game benchmark test after that.
No abnormalities.
That's all I have to report.

You've tested your TX-850 enough. Just enjoy your system and use it. You won't be able to trigger a failure through your testing. My March 2021 PX-850 will fail first before your June 2021 TX-850 if there is a design problem as I am using parts of the GPU which cause 12V noise. If mine fails, I'll post here so you'll know. But otherwise, just don't worry about your TX-850's reliability and enjoy your PC.

Thank you very much.
I am in the process of checking again directly with Seasonic, not with the Japanese distributor, regarding the cable and internal changes.
This time, I presented the source of the information, saying that I heard it from jonnyGURU for sure.
If there is any top secret information, they do not want to hide it, they want to reveal it and tell us.
If I hear back from him soon, I will report back to you.

I have one more question.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1Z522B1YU0MHP/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07X9VYLHH

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R341TKB55E47YL/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07X9VYLHH

This is their post on Amazon.
Did they use the 2021 model?
I cannot ask them this.
Is there a way to do this?
I think the result will be one of the "keys".
Amazon tends to ship the oldest items they have in stock first.

You're paranoid. Just buy another brand if you don't trust Seasonic. One thing I know for sure from my own experience. At Seasonic they rather give you a bunch of new units than telling you the truth.

10 hours ago, hamilton21017 said:

Thank you very much.
I am in the process of checking again directly with Seasonic, not with the Japanese distributor, regarding the cable and internal changes.
This time, I presented the source of the information, saying that I heard it from jonnyGURU for sure.
If there is any top secret information, they do not want to hide it, they want to reveal it and tell us.
If I hear back from him soon, I will report back to you.

I have one more question.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1Z522B1YU0MHP/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07X9VYLHH

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R341TKB55E47YL/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07X9VYLHH

This is their post on Amazon.
Did they use the 2021 model?
I cannot ask them this.
Is there a way to do this?
I think the result will be one of the "keys".
Amazon tends to ship the oldest items they have in stock first.

I'm sure people here would not appreciate the use of their name/reputation in your quest to find more information. I strongly recommend you stop doing so unless you have permission from Jonnyguru to do so. The other questions is why are trying to dig for all this information from Seasonic. The tone you use is very aggressive when read by an English native speaker, so be aware that the way you are doing it will result in people just ignoring your posts/emails.

jonnyGURU?I just got an answer from Seasonic.
I still don't trust your lies.
This time Seasonic gave me an accurate answer after reading this forum.
wsnPUZ2.jpg

”Like last time you contacted us, there's no official policy to ship cables to solve any issue with RTX graphic card and our power supplies. ”

If you are going to go out on a limb and say that it is not true, please show us who and what evidence you have.
As I do.

”Regarding this issue with RTX 30, while older products may sometimes have some issues, we do not have known issue with current products on the market. Once again,”

Repeated responses.
This time this strong response is credible.
The 2021 model is not a problem.

You're talking to a CSR - Customer Service Rep, they will have absolutely no idea what the engineers at Seasonic have or haven't done to rectify any issues.

So, still, you're barking up the wrong trees.

We do not know what they did.
But I can say that there is a good chance that the problem will not occur with the 2021 model.
No, we are hoping to get to 100% within 6 months with the June 2021 manufactured power supply we are using now.

To think that no one (normal users) was this obsessive about Gigabyte's hidden dynamite. (AFAIK anyway).

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

x7sSuKF.jpg

xrsWdA7.jpg

I was able to contact the person who caused the stoppage after 3 months on Amazon.
It was a 2020 model.
This leads to proof that the 2021 model is not the problem.
We have come to a situation where that is confirmed.

you should not trust amazon review like 'dead in 3 month" or arrived "dead" i have prime gx from december 2019, works just fine tfu tfu, but i dont have have rtx 3000 series cards.

@hamilton21017I got an interest tidbit for you, I'm personally using a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum for 5 years now (one of the original faulty ones with transient sensitivity issues). It was very wonky with all the GPUs that caused this back in 2017-18. I tried for weeks to get a hold of a Corsair RMx, or RMi, and then for tried for days to nab a first gen SuperFlower Leadex Platinum to no avail.

Was literally forced to make a split second impulse buy of a Focus Plus Platinum months before Aris review came out, and before any issues were known.

Regardless I've been using it for 5 years now with no issues with <200W tdp GPUs. And for my next one I'm going straight to whatever SFX model has soft (like Fractal Ion, or individually sleeved cables (ideally Corsair SF series).

On 5/22/2022 at 3:33 AM, jonnyGURU said:

I pretty much gave up almost a year ago after butting heads with SS engineers.  😄

I'm actually stoked to see how things pan out with power supplies with the new 12VHPWR. Specifically which ones pass the 160%,180% Transient Power Excursions. I'm also wondering if Seasonic and SuperFlower revisions come with 16AWG on all GPU cables up to the first connector.

Gentlemen? Wait a minute. I think you have misunderstood something.
I did not exchange it and bought a new one from AMAZON.
The reason is that I could not exchange it.
Here is the proof of purchase.
The date is March 25th and there has been no shutdown at all from this date until now.
In Japan, the 2021 model is printed as TX-850S.
If you buy in Japan now, it is extremely unlikely that you will get a pre-2021 model.

gV7FkUq.jpg

The cables are the same. Everything is the same as before replacement and has not been removed from the case.
Yes, it is.
Only the main unit was replaced.
After replacing only the main unit, the shutdown disappeared before my eyes.

Prime GX-750 user here, bought it in December 2020. Using RTX 3070 Ti with it, and no problems. GPU will do 325w.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

40 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Prime GX-750 user here, bought it in December 2020. Using RTX 3070 Ti with it, and no problems. GPU will do 325w.

Prime GX-750 has a Seasonic Focus GX platform. Focus GX/PX is known to have no issues with Ampere.

22 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Prime GX-750 has a Seasonic Focus GX platform. Focus GX/PX is known to have no issues with Ampere.

For some reason I thought it was all of them 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's