5.25 inch floppy USB drives: Do thy exist?

Rusty Proto

For retro computing purposes, has anyone seen an external 5.25 inch floppy drive, or a successful build of one? I would also take a PCIe floppy controller if those are available. Since I bet Windows no longer has support for anything but 1.44mb floppies, I'm betting on possibly having to use Rufus, or else be able to have Linux use it. (Linux is my primary anyway. "dd" is quite handy.)

I saw LGR using a USB 5.25 floppy drive in his videos, so there's definitely one in existence.

If ain't workin', break it and then call the tech support

I don't think I've seen him with that one. I'm sure he would have done a video about it if he had it, though. That kind of thing would be too neat to not show offf.

I have seen where somebody was trying to build one, but hasn't gotten it reading disks yet.

9 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

I don't think I've seen him with that one. I'm sure he would have done a video about it if he had it, though. That kind of thing would be too neat to not show offf.

I have seen where somebody was trying to build one, but hasn't gotten it reading disks yet.

Nah, there're USB ones on Amazon, at least when I went to remind myself how big is 5.25. 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:13 AM, Sipuha said:

Nah, there're USB ones on Amazon, at least when I went to remind myself how big is 5.25. 

Link? They're not showing for me.

4 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

Link? They're not showing for me.

Osht. Google really screwed me up there. Those what I saw were 3.5 floppy drives.

3.5" USB Floppy Disk Drive External Portable 1.44 MB FDD for PC Windows  2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7/8 +Dustproof Scratch-Resistant External Bag Case,No External  Driver,Plug and Play : Electronics

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, Sipuha said:

Osht. Google really screwed me up there. Those what I saw were 3.5 floppy drives.

3.5" USB Floppy Disk Drive External Portable 1.44 MB FDD for PC Windows  2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7/8 +Dustproof Scratch-Resistant External Bag Case,No External  Driver,Plug and Play : Electronics

I can find those all day, yes. I even have a couple. I just need something for 5.25 inch disks to use with my older computers that don't have a 3.5 inch drive.

...though my ultimate "gaming PC build" would include both a 3.5 inch drive and a 5.25 inch drive, if only I could find a controller.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, TheGreatestGazoo said:

Try the Grease Weazle. Not too expensive, but you'll need to source your own floppy drive, power and USB cable.

Nice find. I may have to get one of these to try out. This would actually be along the lines of what I'm looking for.