I Can't Believe I Paid Two Grand For This

Plouffe

We got our hands on an Xbox Series X Development Kit, and ours hasn't been banned yet. Can we get it to play games?

Buy an Xbox Series X: https://geni.us/T2Mz4j

Buy an Xbox Series S: https://geni.us/cDlq

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Kind of a bummer it was instantly banned, but this makes me want to see older dev kits looked at.

The early PS3 dev kits are super interesting (DECR-1000A/J specifically).

PS4 dev kits (at least the early ones) were absolute units. 

The One X (Scorpio) dev kit is surprisingly similar to this XSX dev kit. 

Is there a separate dev kit for the Series S? Or is that a mode when playing games on this hardware? 

I think the most interesting dev kit was for the Xbox 360, the original kit was a G5 Power Mac.

Steve acquired an xbox dev kit that was already banned but in the video he gives us a tear down and shows us the hardware in more detail. Check out this video if you would like to learn more about how the system works.

52 minutes ago, TheBaldr said:

I think the most interesting dev kit was for the Xbox 360, the original kit was a G5 Power Mac.

This was earlier "alpha" hardware. There where dedicated Xbox360 devkits (with sidecars).
Same for the original Xbox, a "normal" PC was the prototype for the original xbox (and the earlier recovert actually installed windows 2000)
(the exact hardware used is known, and "can" be recreated. the recovery iso's are out there. ive done it myself and some other people aswell. The audio board is tricky to get but with the right IC, a pcb can be made search "frankenalpha", results are also for xbox 360 G5 recreations, video ideas?)

The Xbox one also had a alpha hardware, a PC called Durango, running a special build of windows 10 and well, ran with HyperV and no encryption at first. (software has been leaked, specs I dont know)From there, they probably got more dedicated hardware (AMD SoC on their own designed boards?)

(not all details might be correct, but most gameconsoles had earlier hardware, during retail "normal" dev hardware and maybe a newer version (smaller or newer hardware)

Mod an Xbox or mini-ITX system into it.

Bonus points if you make the buttons usable.

Should have kept that design for the final console. Both new consoles are no longer to be designed like a traditional console, they dont fit in entertainment units.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Should have kept that design for the final console. Both new consoles are no longer to be designed like a traditional console, they dont fit in entertainment units.

Right.

That design looks great. 

cool to see.

until series x.

i had a dev  testing a rare hybrid ssd/hdd drive.

that allowed quick resume was. it  fun and also nightmare on a xbox one .

i will say this  i do know how they auto banned dev console.

a hint is firmware id checking.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

10 hours ago, Leslieann said:

Mod an Xbox or mini-ITX system into it.

Bonus points if you make the buttons usable.

Well, what about if I tell you both a Windows and a Xbox system has been done? Bonus points if the OLED panel may soon work?
Yes it's been done!

I don't mean to do advertising for anything but: Hello there haha! I kinda did. Check out my personal projects TG channel for the preview: https://t.me/TheEngineeringCave/51

1 minute ago, AntiEngineer said:

Well, what about if I tell you both a Windows and a Xbox system has been done? Bonus points if the OLED panel may soon work?
Yes it's been done!

I don't mean to do advertising for anything but: Hello there haha! I kinda did. Check out my personal projects TG channel for the preview: https://t.me/TheEngineeringCave/51

Also, about the console ban:

This XDK I have was banned permanently on Xbox Live since the ID@Xbox team the console was managed by reported it as lost.
However, after playing around with fire and partially burning savings in this ridiculously fun project, along with the advice from TitleOS (a very known Xbox security researcher) who kind of gave me some clues on what to do, I decided to reflow the Xbox's APU with the one of a retail Series X, and after fiddling here and there, removing the developer certificate, copying the Security Processor (SP) certificate from the donor's console and facing countless boot errors because SMC mismatch, I managed to boot in retail mode and afterwards in DevMode with a new UWA Devkit developer certificate.

However, the ODD (Optical Disk Drive) paid the price of it since it was no longer authorized by the SP.  Good fun times!

19 minutes ago, AntiEngineer said:

Also, about the console ban:

This XDK I have was banned permanently on Xbox Live since the ID@Xbox team the console was managed by reported it as lost.
However, after playing around with fire and partially burning savings in this ridiculously fun project, along with the advice from TitleOS (a very known Xbox security researcher) who kind of gave me some clues on what to do, I decided to reflow the Xbox's APU with the one of a retail Series X, and after fiddling here and there, removing the developer certificate, copying the Security Processor (SP) certificate from the donor's console and facing countless boot errors because SMC mismatch, I managed to boot in retail mode and afterwards in DevMode with a new UWA Devkit developer certificate.

However, the ODD (Optical Disk Drive) paid the price of it since it was no longer authorized by the SP.  Good fun times!

This is Xbox one hardware? intresting 😄 Those certificates are stored on the drive i asume, arent those encrypted?

9 minutes ago, CodeAsm said:

This is Xbox one hardware? intresting 😄 Those certificates are stored on the drive i asume, arent those encrypted?

Yes, correct. They are on XBFS.

sp_s.cfg, smc_s.cfg and certkeys.bin is the config from the donor.