Does ARC work if the TV has been turned off

OddOod

It feels like a dumb question but I can't find an answer anywhere and don't want to go out and buy a bunch of hardware only to find it doesn't work

I just want to know if I can get audio pass through on the ARC to my receiver if the TV is off. I have an LG C1 48"

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

It depends.

Some recievers like my denon something something I have will just take the audio signal from my computer and still ouput audio BUT it also still acts as if it is a display. Whilst many others simple stop acting as a display when their output is turned off and thus you lose sound.

As far as I know the second option is the norm and the first one is basically a development oversight.

If I want to actually use my reciever without hdmi running I just switch it to one of it's analog audio inputs and switch my pc to that too.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, jaslion said:

basically a development oversight.

Damn. The problem I'm running into is the analog input is acting as an antenna 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately not mate. I have a C1 and a Yamaha AVR and running ARC. 

I want to use Plex to stream my music library but not have my pricey OLED panel burn in... but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

I ended up plugging an old Chromecast into the AVR so I can stream to it directly and even then I have to do the TV AVR turn-off dance (stream to Chromecast plugged directly into the AVR, the auto TV turns on for some reason > turn off the TV > turn the AVR back on with AVR remote > press play on Plex app on my phone)

On 5/9/2022 at 4:31 AM, OddOod said:

Damn. The problem I'm running into is the analog input is acting as an antenna 

How do you mean? Basically any reciever has the typical bunch of L+R input jacks. Switching to those will just make it a generic amplifier for the speakers and no screen is needed.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

How do you mean?

(I finally fixed the issue)
I run the *dumbest* speaker system. 20 cheap bookshelf speakers in a dozen rooms all hardwired off a pair of bottom of the line Pyle amps. The source for the audio is my caseless HTPC.
I was using the 3.5mm audio out which got split into L/R RCA. The audio cable itself would pick up the signalling off the CPU and GPU dies. When no audio was being output, you could literally hear in the speakers when the chips were doing any heavy lifting like, say, decoding a plex stream or loading up chrome. Nothing even diminished it. I tried ferrite cores, wrapping the cable in foil, powering each component off separate circuits (LOTS of extension cables that day). Nothing worked. I even upgraded the parts to see if that would work (also so I could get DSC because the C1 48 is pure luxury). I consulted audiophiles (who universally told me that I needed to spend 8-12 grand on new receivers) and even developed a relationship with a dude at Sweetwater. Got nowhere. 

Then I bought a 50$ desktop DAC and boom, interference evaporated. Admittedly this puts my whole home audio over the 500$ line, but hearing silence when no one is talking in a movie? Absolutely priceless