What to look for when buying a modern record player

Hiya everyone

First of all, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but Imma try anyway.

As the title suggests, I'm looking for info on what to look for when buying a modern record player. I don't know basically anything about record players since I also didn't really grow up with them either so I have no idea what kind of features they have and/or what kind of features to look for.

One thing I do know is that it doesn't need to have speakers built in and doesn't need to run on USB because I have the necessary equipment to hook it up to for audio playback.

I'm not looking for anything expensive, preferably I'd like to stick under 150 but I've seen that they can be a bit expensive so I'd like to say my budget is 250, 300 at max, but I'd like it as cheap as possible since I'm not looking for the highest quality stuff here.

So if anyone can help me out here I'd really appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Not a plastic platter. If you see one with a plastic platter DON'T buy. Almost all modern record players use the same trash mechanism - get a good vintage one. 

Okay, but what are good vintage ones then?

Go to a record shop and see if they have any used units.  They'll be able to point you in the right direction if they don't.  Most brands make good and terrible versions so you need to dig into their models to find one that suits your budget and requirements.  

Worthwhile vintage units start around $100 and can get as high as $500.  As with any audio equipment, the sky is the limit and expensive doesn't always mean best.  

5 hours ago, Heliian said:

Go to a record shop and see if they have any used units.  They'll be able to point you in the right direction if they don't.  Most brands make good and terrible versions so you need to dig into their models to find one that suits your budget and requirements.  

Worthwhile vintage units start around $100 and can get as high as $500.  As with any audio equipment, the sky is the limit and expensive doesn't always mean best.  

I was planning on going to a local music store already yeah. Don't know what stuff they have exactly since I don't think it counts as a record shop, but I'll see there. 

Is there any difference in audio quality between vintage and modern units though? I mean, you'd think the technology has improved since then.

1 hour ago, REVERSEDSKIES said:

mean, you'd think the technology has improved since then.

Other than good boutique units, most of the new ones exist just in case someone needs to play records.  

The parts quality in general has plummeted.  They had figured out great ways to deliver the analog signal decades ago, your amp is going to do the rest of the work.  That's the beauty with vinyl, it's pure sound. 

Older DUAL brand turntables are very good - German design and made. Most older Japanese Pioneer, Technics  and JBL are pretty decent too, maybe a few good Kenwoods too. Most new stuff unless paying over well over $1,000 is garbage.