LMG Sponsor Complaints

CPotter
3 minutes ago, Nobody6502 said:

It’s probably important to note that a lot of these reference IFI which to an outsider may seem unrelated to LTT, however IFI is the parent company of RackSolutions and by all accounts, experiences like this are happening at all of the subsidiaries of IFI

Yeah, HEXBUG, VEX, and Rack Solutions are their 3 subsidiaries, some of the glassdoor reviews mention the companies by name. 

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Umm links? What threads are you referring to?

Should link to Bee217's post? Been a while since i used the forums.

Edit: Ill also add in this thread from another former IFI employee that was posted since the original post by Bee217.

A couple quotes, if you do not have the time to read the post (though i highly suggest you do):

[cw: violence, sexual harassment]

Spoiler

The leadership team of Mr. Norman included individuals who would outright harass the young women interns/professionals in the office daily. Sometimes, an inappropriate comment about appearance, others, a tacit invitation for after-work socialization.

As a ‘new’ engineer, I personally had an executive aim their .45 at my back while working at the office alone during the weekend; it was assumed I had broken into the building due to an ajar door sensor from my entry disarming the building. I do not know what would have happened that day had I not heard this executive announce their presence.

If you were doing simple research at your desk that didn’t “look” productive, you would be subject to verbal berating from Mr. Norman. This behavior became nearly cultural. As a result, it was not rare to leave a meeting after some amount of screaming from the management team; especially design reviews

“What [r-slur] designed this?” - TN

And, for the record, I was the [r-slur], on the phone with all the other execs and engineers when Tony dropped that line. 

Edit 2: If reading everything from the last few posts is just too much of a timesink (and admittedly, there is a lot), there is a sitrep written up by a couple members of the robotics community that hits the main points  that you can find here.

Interesting.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hi, as a longer time member of the forum, I just wanted to echo the concerns of the FIRST community members above. I’ve been involved with VEX robotics competitions for a number of years, and it’s been heartbreaking to read the accounts that have been coming out over the last few days, and the response from IFI is insultingly bad. I would encourage LTT to distance themselves from all IFI companies (Rack Solutions, VEX Robotics, HEXBUG), and to if possible apply pressure to change their behavior.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:30 AM, SansVarnic said:

No attacks present either. Seems like your on a hate train for some reason.

Does LTT check their mods ? 

Super sus that this guy is defending sexual misconduct at work and implies that someone speaking out against sexual harassement in the workplace is somehow a bad faith actor.

Nice victim blaming there, but you're jsut confirming what most people expect from the working environment at LTT, yikes !

20 minutes ago, Assimov said:

Super sus that this guy is defending sexual misconduct at work and implies that someone speaking out against sexual harassement in the workplace is somehow a bad faith actor.

Nice victim blaming there, but you're jsut confirming what most people expect from the working environment at LTT, yikes !

Where was the defence?

And, given these posts are by new/rarely used accounts, it's right to be wary of their intentions.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 hours ago, Assimov said:

This also seems unnecessary inflammatory, we came in hot with allegations one of their sponsors was horrible. It kinda makes sense he would want links?

5 hours ago, Assimov said:

Moderators don't work for LMG/LTT. We are volunteers whose whole existence is to keep forums clean. At times, we also post as persons, like you. And as persons, we may or may not call out attacks/claims that are made without backing. Your post, at first glance, does look like one and it was contested as such. Not the best wording used, but that doesn't give you any rights to attacks back in this way, making assumptions so wildly.

Your argument has been covered by others, be thankful for them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, Assimov said:

Who are the "most people" you have appointed yourself to speak for?

Spurious and inflammatory comments like this undermine the credibility of those making serious accusations about IFI. It seems like you don't care a bit about what may be happening with IFI, you're just waiting in the wings for an opportunity to take shots at LTT. 

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

And as persons, we may or may not call out attacks/claims that are made without backing. Your post, at first glance, does look like one and it was contested as such.

Assimov isn't the poster who first brought up the accusations against IFI you replied to. That was @burner.

His "working environment at LTT" post certainly is an attack without backing, though. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

41 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Assimov isn't the poster who first brought up the accusations against IFI you replied to. That was @burner.

His "working environment at LTT" post certainly is an attack without backing, though. 

Good point. Seems like I spend too much time on forum since for me if someone takes badly hard criticism, they are more commonly the first poster.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, Assimov said:

I'll address this.

I'm not defending anything. I don't work at or for LMG. 

Neither am I victim blaming, I'm stating from the position of what I read in that statement.  That is it.

You are jumping to a very big conclusion here. It is obvious I'm not fully aware of the situation and the issue going on. Read past my comment and you will see this. Next time due your due diligence and consider what you're about to say before saying it. 🤔

My position was to check and verify the allegations made, as both an interested party and as a mod doing his job. As others mentioned before this response your making assumptions with nothing to bact it up.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As a member of both the LTT and educational robotics communities, what has come to light about IFI is quite frankly horrid, vile, and sickening.  One guy literally had a gun pulled on him!  Need I say more?

I HIGHLY recommend LMG cut all ties with IFI and its subsidiaries, including Vex, Hexbug, and most applicable here, Rack Solutions.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to chime in and say we are looking into the whole RackSolutions and IFI situation currently. The business team does not have a contact with them, so it's taking a bit to get this sorted.

We will provide an update once everything is figured out.

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

That was @burner.

Bee217 actually, but the semantics are not that important.

Thank you @sazrocks for giving some extra credence, its understandable to be weary of a random group coming in and all claiming some very vile things about a company, and thank you Sveeno for the acknowledgement of everything posted above. 

1 hour ago, Sveeno said:

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to chime in and say we are looking into the whole RackSolutions and IFI situation currently. The business team does not have a contact with them, so it's taking a bit to get this sorted.

We will provide an update once everything is figured out.

Hi, I'm also a member of the robotics community where this is taking place. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J8_fjSIm8Oep_D-yvs1unrASiVnjLMH1LTEFi2i6Vs0/edit?usp=sharing

This document here has a fairly good summary of what's been going on, with citations directly to the statements in question. This situation is still evolving, and I would be happy to provide any other information I can. 

On 11/17/2022 at 7:40 PM, SylvieM said:

Hi, I'm also a member of the robotics community where this is taking place. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J8_fjSIm8Oep_D-yvs1unrASiVnjLMH1LTEFi2i6Vs0/edit?usp=sharing

This document here has a fairly good summary of what's been going on, with citations directly to the statements in question. This situation is still evolving, and I would be happy to provide any other information I can. 

Here are some of the primary sources used and referenced in this document:

A letter from a volunteer mentor to their school district regarding that school district's relationship with IFI: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/additional-teams-committed-to-phasing-out-vex/417579/10

A statement by Chuck Glick, a former employee at IFI: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/cw-violence-sexual-harassment-ifi-a-toxic-and-predatory-workplace-in-edtech/417760

The thread on ChiefDelphi, a forum for FIRST Robotics Competition: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/cw-sexual-harassment-an-open-letter-to-vex/416929

And some discussions in it:

Statements from FIRST Robotics Competition Teams regarding their relations with IFI/VEX:

The (tone deaf) response from IFI: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/ifi-vex-response/417791
A preliminary statement from The REC Foundation, a nonprofit linked with IFI: https://www.vexforum.com/t/statement-to-rec-foundation-community/109171

A related document summarising the situation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hwZCwTsgHmlYKkfpz2QKe7XarvMkv0xfsSJnxSVxsHc/edit

EDIT 20221123: (all of the content warnings) additional allegations regarding IFI: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/cw-si-sh-substance-abuse-sexual-harassment-how-i-was-abused-by-148-ifi-and-grant-cox/418327
EDIT 20221123: The CEO has resigned over the allegations: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/t/breaking-tony-norman-has-resigned-as-president-and-ceo-of-ifi/418508

Edited by mehnadnerd
New information

Please keep discussion here related to LMG sponsors. If you would like to raise concerns regarding a forum moderator contact an admin via PM. For the purpose of keeping this thread on topic any further posts not related to LMG sponsors may be removed.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

GlassWire, an application meant to protect your privacy has started sending your network data to it's servers as part of it's v3 update, to "enhance GlassWire as an endpoint security solution". They can do anything with the data they collect now, which is ironic since the app is meant to prevent stuff like that.

I had download GlassWire after learning about it from one of LMG's videos. Would recommend a disclaimer being added to future videos since this update with new data collection "featuers" were not conveyed at all when updating the app, or when downloading it on the website.

On 10/16/2022 at 6:28 AM, Bablin190 said:

Maybe but Linus implied that he would not work with a sponsor who sponsored a portion of a video and not video.

There are numerous of sponsor spots from LastPass that are "portion of a video" and not a whole video

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

Less of a complaint and more of a concern. But I just checked out nreal website and it shows Short Circuits video as an in depth review. with an out of context quote from the video, as you can see in this page:
https://www.nreal.ai/light/

Is taking CS videos as reviews and/or endorsements normal practice? or nreal is pushing their luck?

I was disappointed to see Newegg as a WAN show sponsor today after the GPU scandal they had at the beginning of this year. I thought Gamers Nexus did a very good job investigating this and I have come to the decision that I will no longer be shopping at Newegg. 

Sorry I am no sure if this is the right spot for this, but regarding the Solidworks sponsor video collab mentioned in the WAN show on Nov-25/ 2022.   First I want to clarify I didnt hear the whole conversation, I was just tuning in when the topic was being discussed, so I may be missing something.

I was chasing getting a Solidworks for makers subscription and when they sponsored one of the videos a few months ago I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

I'd like to make sure its clarified in the video that the Solidworks 3D Experience Connected for makers has some interesting things, for example, to launch the software you need to login to a webpage and start the software from within the web-browser, if for some reason there is no connection, you are out of luck, seems that after launching there is a way to move to work offline, but haven't tried.

The critical part, I recall that while signing on to my yearly subscription I read that it will automatically renew every-year, I didnt take screenshot as I assumed its like a lot of products that you can easily go and disable auto-renew, sadly it doenst seem to be that easy, I spent hours trying to disable it and at this time I am not sure if its disabled at all.  (I can provide screenshots of their support pages for other people complaining about it, while googling how to disable autorenew found some reddit topics also complaining, I also found help there).

I have used Solidworks at work and its an incredible tool, I love it, but the version for Makers is far from there, its painful to get it installed and launch it. I hope they fix that, even my 15 y'old decided to move to Fusion360 (Autodesk) due being too complicated to start the software, we both have a free Fusion360 account, I agree its limited for the free tier, but way easier to launch and start using, you dont need to login if you login often, on the Solidworks case you need to open a browser, log into their site, navigate thru a weird UI and then finaly launch the software from web... that has to be done everytime you want to open the software.

Rant over, the purpose of this is, if you guys are working with them to get a new sponsor video, would it be possible for you guys to approach Dassault Systemes and let them know they need to improve the experience, I understand they want to avoid piracy, but to be honest I feel they went overboard with this, launching the software should not be so painful, I bet it may be easier to get one of those illegal version working.

Another request is that if you guys could use the "Connected 3D Experience for Maker" version, not the professional as I believe you have been using, ideally show the process to launch it, maybe there are tricks that we can learn :D.

2 hours ago, ngrussell13 said:

I was disappointed to see Newegg as a WAN show sponsor today after the GPU scandal they had at the beginning of this year. I thought Gamers Nexus did a very good job investigating this and I have come to the decision that I will no longer be shopping at Newegg. 

newegg had a lot of drama and situations, I guess through all of the covid years and as you say this year too. bad bundles, shady deals and so on.

I saw UGreen has sponsored a video. It seems to be the new darling of the internet. Although I am always a bit suspicious of the flood of people saying it is their go to cable company. Specifically because I have had a lot of bad cables from them over the years. Not in the sense that they don't work, but simply that they break fairly quickly. 

It is also a company that has produced a fair amount of products that simply are out of spec and promise features that aren't likely to be happening. For example, usb-c female to male extension cables (something the usb-c spec does not allow for) that basically only work for USB2.0 devices and that sort of thing. 

Also this thing which has high ratings but if you dig into the more negative reviews you notice a pattern. At first I was one of the people who would have left a positive review, until I noticed that some of my connected devices started to behave oddly on it. Turns out that the host devices aren't fully separated as far as power goes causing all sorts of weird issues. 

I have had enough bad experiences with a variety of their devices that don't consider it to be a fluke. So I am really hoping that UGreen products are tested properly by the lab before any of these sponsored videos are being made. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.