1 HDMI IN 2 HDMI OUT

Hello all,

I am looking for a solution to my coworker and I’s problem. We both have two displays that we would like to connect a single console, cable box, media player, etc. via HDMI to be used at separate times. In his case a, ps5 to two 4k 120hz displays. In my case a Roku device to a 1080p display and a 720p display. There are many HDMI 1 in 2 out devices that promise the requirements, however affordable options(from Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) seem deceiving and unreliable, while the higher end can get really pricy. I’m not very experienced in A/V, are there any solutions to this problems, maybe not a traditional splitter? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!! 🙂 

1 hour ago, Jscribel said:

Hello all,

I am looking for a solution to my coworker and I’s problem. We both have two displays that we would like to connect a single console, cable box, media player, etc. via HDMI to be used at separate times. In his case a, ps5 to two 4k 120hz displays. In my case a Roku device to a 1080p display and a 720p display. There are many HDMI 1 in 2 out devices that promise the requirements, however affordable options(from Amazon, Best Buy, etc.) seem deceiving and unreliable, while the higher end can get really pricy. I’m not very experienced in A/V, are there any solutions to this problems, maybe not a traditional splitter? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!! 🙂 

This sounds like a job for a Kvm, it will depend on what outputs you have on the various devices though.  With a mechanical kvm it won’t matter what device is attached because it’s all wiring and no software.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

With a lot of "splitters" for HDMI it will simply mirror the displays as HDMI is

ptp(point to point) and not

ptm(point to multipoint) so if you are looking for it to do like 32:9 as 2x 16:9, it ain't gon work. 

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

This sounds like a job for a Kvm, it will depend on what outputs you have on the various devices though.  With a mechanical kvm it won’t matter what device is attached because it’s all wiring and no software.

Thank you for the response Bombastinator! My only question I still have is are all KVM switches mechanical? I've seen a couple that seem promising, but their spec sheet shows only up to 4k 30fps. For me that's obviously no problem as it supports a resolution multitudes greater than my best display, but my coworker, he would like the ability to have 4k 60fps. While on the search for good KVMs I found what seems to be a good splitter: https://www.cdw.com/product/startech.com-2-port-hdmi-splitter-4k-60hz-1x2-way-hdmi-2.0-splitter/5264503. I'm going to contact CDW to see if there is any known reliability issues like the many others of its kind, before looking into it further. However this brings up my second question, is this a KVM? What constitutes a KVM? I appreciate the advice I was give, any more would be very useful!

8 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

With a lot of "splitters" for HDMI it will simply mirror the displays as HDMI is

ptp(point to point) and not

ptm(point to multipoint) so if you are looking for it to do like 32:9 as 2x 16:9, it ain't gon work. 

I'm sorry, I don't think that I articulated myself properly. All I want to accomplish is the input device outputted to one display at a time, not both at once or extended displays. Thank you for the comment though, every comment helps to expand my knowledge!!! 🙂 

2 hours ago, Jscribel said:

Thank you for the response Bombastinator! My only question I still have is are all KVM switches mechanical? I've seen a couple that seem promising, but their spec sheet shows only up to 4k 30fps. For me that's obviously no problem as it supports a resolution multitudes greater than my best display, but my coworker, he would like the ability to have 4k 60fps. While on the search for good KVMs I found what seems to be a good splitter: https://www.cdw.com/product/startech.com-2-port-hdmi-splitter-4k-60hz-1x2-way-hdmi-2.0-splitter/5264503. I'm going to contact CDW to see if there is any known reliability issues like the many others of its kind, before looking into it further. However this brings up my second question, is this a KVM? What constitutes a KVM? I appreciate the advice I was give, any more would be very useful!

No.  Some are software.  All the old ones were afaik though. 4k@60fps would be what version of hdmi does it support?  That is not a kvm as kvm stands for “Keyboard, Video, and Mouse.  That seems to only do video. If you don’t need keyboard and mouse switched too this may be all you need.  The HDMI version may still matter though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

No.  Some are software.  All the old ones were afaik though. 4k@60fps would be what version of hdmi does it support?  That is not a kvm as kvm stands for “Keyboard, Video, and Mouse.  That seems to only do video. If you don’t need keyboard and mouse switched too this may be all you need.  The HDMI version may still matter though.

Ok, I think that just about answers everything, I feel much more confident in purchasing one. Thank you so much for the help. Enjoy your day!!!