Is 750W PSU enough for RTX 3080

asapaska

Hey, I had RTX 3060 since I built PC last year but just recently I managed to get RTX 3080 at msrp in my local area and now am wondering if it's safe to put into my rig.
I only have a Ryzen 5600X so that doesn't draw too much power
And my PSU is Chieftec Powerplay 750W (which is A tier in the tierlist)

(I also have a 4K capture card from avermedia in my rig but I don't think those draw a lot of power either as they don't even have a PCI-e power cable needed, only the PCI-e slot)

1 hour ago, asapaska said:

Hey, I had RTX 3060 since I built PC last year but just recently I managed to get RTX 3080 at msrp in my local area and now am wondering if it's safe to put into my rig.

(I also have a 4K capture card from avermedia in my rig but I don't think those draw a lot of power either as they don't even have a PCI-e power cable needed, only the PCI-e slot)

Linus did a video on the NZXT H1 V2 using an RTX3090 and it didn't cause any problems at all with a SFX 750 watt PSU under full load. So if a RTX 3090 can do the trick, a RTX 3080 can too. 

The only thing I'd worry for is if you were to have a 12900KS, but if not, you should be fine. 

• RTX 3080
  • z690 ASROCK Mini ITX
  • Coolermaster 240mm Masterliquid
  • 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro SL
  • Cooler Master V750 SFX Gold
  • 2TB 980 Pro m.2

1 hour ago, asapaska said:

image.thumb.png.a6d1e0c4f2d15d805c34ee51ca6127b8.png

According to Seasonic's PSU Calculator, they recommend 850W PSUs for the 12900K + RTX 3080, their calculator don't have the 12900KS which has a higher TDP, so it could use more power. In addition, this did not factor in your other components, such as fans, RGB lights, hard drives, SSDs, etc.

https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

I would also recommend checking out PC Part Picker and enter the components you are installing to your PC, as they have a more complete list of PC parts (they have the 12900KS).

https://pcpartpicker.com/

I am speaking from my experience and I also built my own PC using these websites as my reference.

I would also like to add that you can try instaling the GPU on your PC, if the PSU can't handle it, it will simply trigger the protection system of the PSU and turn off.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 8:25 AM, asapaska said:

I'm late to the party but I use 5800x and 3080 on a 750W SFX PSU in an ITX case. It works perfectly, even though at peak the 3080 will draw 320W, while the CPU never maxes out anyway at the same time (playing 3440*1440, load falls on the GPU, not the CPU). So yeah, go ahead.

I have a 5600x and a beefy 3080 (Aorus Xtreme) on a 750W. I haven't experienced any issues. Months into owning it I did undervolt, but for heat and not power issues. 

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life