Windows vs Hive OS for mining

I've checked this out online and opinions do seem to be divided. I know windows well and have mined on it with some success/

Anyway. Long story short. I have managed to pick up quite a lot of GPU's which people are selling off cheap. Obviously cashing out incase GPU mining goes completely to the dogs.

I don't some maths though and given that I bought the cards so cheap and already have a decent one I could still profit even with the energy costs here in the UK.

The obvious way of reducing the energy cost is a rig. Something I have been advised against but again I can pick these up now for a fraction of what they were. Bout £400 which I could recoup from the sale of my second desktop.

Problem is most of the rigs come with HiveOS which I know nothing about. I don't really have time to learn a new OS and its intricacies. Want to be able to just plus and play, tweak the cards a little bit and just leaved them to it. Can the hash rate really vary from one OS to another., Is there any real point in me swapping over to hive. I am really interested as the info out there is as always confusing and contradictory.

Whether or not I buy the rig is still open for debate, but what is the real benefit of Hive. What can it do that Windows can't. I am really curious to know.

I fancy a rig for the purposes of aesthetics as I can run it from my small store room (which is conveniently very cold and not have desktops and cables all over the living room. Would be worth it for that alone.

I did buy from from Amazon which arrived yesterday. I was unlikely to keep it as it was £620. I knoew I could return which is incidentally what I did/ Never have I seen so many cheap crap components thrown into a box. The motherboard looked like it would snap if I sneezed behind it and it had clearly been used already as one box was open and their was wear around the screw holes. On top of that the instructional video was a slightly different version of the board and the motherboard clips were the wrong size

2 hours ago, irishbeast said:

I've checked this out online and opinions do seem to be divided. I know windows well and have mined on it with some success/

Anyway. Long story short. I have managed to pick up quite a lot of GPU's which people are selling off cheap. Obviously cashing out incase GPU mining goes completely to the dogs.

I don't some maths though and given that I bought the cards so cheap and already have a decent one I could still profit even with the energy costs here in the UK.

The obvious way of reducing the energy cost is a rig. Something I have been advised against but again I can pick these up now for a fraction of what they were. Bout £400 which I could recoup from the sale of my second desktop.

Problem is most of the rigs come with HiveOS which I know nothing about. I don't really have time to learn a new OS and its intricacies. Want to be able to just plus and play, tweak the cards a little bit and just leaved them to it. Can the hash rate really vary from one OS to another., Is there any real point in me swapping over to hive. I am really interested as the info out there is as always confusing and contradictory.

Whether or not I buy the rig is still open for debate, but what is the real benefit of Hive. What can it do that Windows can't. I am really curious to know.

I fancy a rig for the purposes of aesthetics as I can run it from my small store room (which is conveniently very cold and not have desktops and cables all over the living room. Would be worth it for that alone.

I did buy from from Amazon which arrived yesterday. I was unlikely to keep it as it was £620. I knoew I could return which is incidentally what I did/ Never have I seen so many cheap crap components thrown into a box. The motherboard looked like it would snap if I sneezed behind it and it had clearly been used already as one box was open and their was wear around the screw holes. On top of that the instructional video was a slightly different version of the board and the motherboard clips were the wrong size

Hive is a Linux distro.  People customize Linux. If you’re buying used there’s no telling what is in whatever you buy software wise.  Probably be easier to wipe whatever you get and just run windows on it unless the hardware is different between Linux based mining and windows based mining. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks. 

In terms of returns etc is there any re4al difference? Or it if like using Open office instead of MS 365?

S

For my mining rig I use hive OS it's a set it and forget it thing. It does take some close monitoring during the setup and overclock phase to recover from when it crashes. But once you've got it dialed in it just runs. I've not checked on the actual rig in over 6 months. I walk by it in the garage and see it's still working and I have the pool setup to notify me if a miner drops hashrate