how to record from Apple TV 4k onto external media?

Hey there 🙂

I wonder if it is possible to record what's playing on an Apple TV 4K onto an external device (usb drive?)

The aTV4K only has Ethernet and HDMI ports.

The reason for this is:

- my internet/TV provider no longer offers 7-days replay for free (bummer)

- my internet/TV provider provides an aTV4K as its set-top box while there is a dedicated app installed on the aTV4K in order to watch TV channels provided by my i/TVprov.

- I'd like to record a show that is broadcast weekly in order to be able to watch it later (and ffwd parts that are boring like recaps and credits).

But there could be other reasons like if I want to record a game session I am playing on the aTV4K or whatever.

I know there are HD recorders out there that would connect via HDMI in between the aTV4K and the TV, so that's an option... Let's call that "plan B".

I doubt I could use my smart TV (android TV) for this since I guess while I'm watching anything on the aTV4K, my smart TV is only being utilized as an HDMI monitor, right?

(I could do this if I was watching TV from a TV app on my smart TV but this would require finding a good enough TV app that is also free... Also there isn't any way to install the TV app from my i/TVprov on android, obviously).

Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe there are no other ways than HDMI-based HD recorders... Let me know.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best,

-a-

MMhh...

After a bit of googling, I found out something called HDCP may prevent me from recording anything coming out of my aTV4K using an recorder connected via HDMI...

Some (big bucks) video hardware can tear through HDCP.  These are typically for professional usage and are made by companies like Roland.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

There are a handful of HDMI splitters that can remove HDCP. These are typically quite cheap and it's not a feature, but a bug really. I grabbed one ages ago, but I believe the updated version "fixed" that "feature."

If you hunt around enough on sites like AliExpress or Amazon, you can likely find a model that will remove HDCP. Some of these will support 4k/60hz, but you'll have to do some digging.