Thread for ShortCircuit Product Suggestions

JonoT

ShortCircuit is growing rapidly and it's always useful to get you our loyal viewers' suggestions on what we should be on the lookout to cover on the channel or even categories we haven't even thought about!

One big item is that the suggestions should be tech-related.

Check out the channel if you haven't already at https://www.youtube.com/shortcircuit

I'd be interested in seeing "unboxings" of software and games. First impressions for that are still quite interesting, and it could give the channel more variety.

Obviously, for a lot of software today, you don't actually get a box, so perhaps this wouldn't fit well with the format of the channel if the focus is on the physical unboxing experience, but it is a big part of a tech enthusiast's experience regardless. That experience of going to a digital storefront, purchasing the product, and running it for the first time.

And if it must be products that come in a box, so that you can do an unboxing, you can just limit that to games and software that does still sell physical copies. But I think the reactions of the presenters is more interesting than the stuff in the box most of the time anyway.

Maybe some of the little handheld game systems. Like I recall there being reviews of of course Steam Deck but also previous devices from GPD, etc. But like, smaller, lower cost devices made for emulating retro games, or the programmable variety that comes in a kit (like the Pocket Arcade, Thumby, ETC). Might be interesting.

Spoiler

Example, not just for plugging my own content.

42 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I'd be interested in seeing "unboxings" of software and games. First impressions for that are still quite interesting, and it could give the channel more variety.

Obviously, for a lot of software today, you don't actually get a box, so perhaps this wouldn't fit well with the format of the channel if the focus is on the physical unboxing experience, but it is a big part of a tech enthusiast's experience regardless. That experience of going to a digital storefront, purchasing the product, and running it for the first time.

And if it must be products that come in a box, so that you can do an unboxing, you can just limit that to games and software that does still sell physical copies. But I think the reactions of the presenters is more interesting than the stuff in the box most of the time anyway.

that's a good point. We did it once or twice, so we should do it again.

Games... it feels like we always get the controversial ones XD (Cyberpunk and Last of Us 2)

28 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Maybe some of the little handheld game systems. Like I recall there being reviews of of course Steam Deck but also previous devices from GPD, etc. But like, smaller, lower cost devices made for emulating retro games, or the programmable variety that comes in a kit (like the Pocket Arcade, Thumby, ETC). Might be interesting.

Reveal hidden contents

ya, we definitely plan to do more in that category. 

You could say... it's RETRO TIME!

Highly interested in a video on the Genki Waveform, a set of wireless earbuds designed for gaming, with a unique feature that allows it to simultaneously connect to 2 devices enabled by the case being a Bluetooth receiver+transmitter that can mix in a USB or 3.5mm audio source. It's meant to fix not being able to talk to your friends while gaming on your Switch. They also market being the lowest latency earbuds, ANC, and even some "audiophile" specs.

That's right, your wireless earbuds can now have more headphone jacks (technically it's USB-to-3.5) than an iPhone.

It's a Kickstarter product (campaign ended, going into production), but the company has made many great products in the past that I've personally used, like the Covert Dock (Switch dock in a wall wart), and ShadowCast (tiny HDMI capture stick). They also gave Switches Bluetooth support before Nintendo oh-so-graciously enabled it for us.

I backed the campaign as well, but I haven't seen any reviews or anything. This thing is just really cool (if it's good), so I hope you guys can get your hands on a some and check em out. Let's give Apple even MORE competition!

There was a recent discussion asking why LTT doesn't cover Garmin Smartwatches, might not be enough for a fully fledged LTT review but might be interesting to cover some smart watches on Short Circuit if that's something anybody on the team has an interest in.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

How about some digital telescopes and binoculars?

Which is best for stargazing/bird watching?

Budget vs Amateur vs Professional

I'd like to see some products reviewed for "mobile technologists" obviously with LTT developing your own backpack and screwdriver there are probably some "tools" that a few of you use that others may find useful; thinking like travel cable kits (like Kable Card for example). Or maybe items in the "smart travel" space (smart luggage, items that would be handy to make the hotel experience more like home, etc.)

A review/unboxing of new Rog Strix G series laptop with AMD Ryzen 6000 series would be great.

You guys should look at the Dygma Raise ergonomic gaming keyboard (or their new one, the Dygma Defy)

I backed the Raise on Kickstarter years ago and it completely changed the way I work, and game.

I know you guys have done other keyboard videos in the past and I think it would be really interesting to so your thoughts.

Dygma is a great company to work with as well, I think they would be more than happy to send you a review unit if you reach out.

How about mixing in some products where the unboxer has to figure out why this can even still be bought, like a USB floppy drive. You know, the kind of stuff that didn't make the Retro™ label. Reactions to this could be hilarious.

If you're looking for more retro gaming things, take a look at the INLretro from Infinite NES Lives. Pretty interesting device for making your own ROMs (provided you have the cartridge).

Hi, would love to see a video about Razer Leviathan v2 soundbar. I'm a Razer fanboy, but this v2 sounds too expensive for what IO has and what it does.

Love your work.

Peace

It may be in the weird place of too old to be new, but not old enough to be retro, but I'd love to see you check out the Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint.  They took the keyboard off a ThinkPad laptop and made it its own product.

51VjIyl5e1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

you did the Anker 3d Printer, what about an Ender 3 or the competing Ender 7 which has the same speed (it's actually going to be faster than the Anker based on the parts) 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I've heard Linus wanting a Pebble alternative for weeks now on the WAN show and a Pebble alternative exists! They're called hybrid smartwatches, by either Fossil or Skagen. They have physical watch hands to show the time, and an e-ink display like the Pebble to show notifications, steps, heartbeat, workout, etc. The battery should last 2 weeks (although it lasts a bit under that for me), and even if the battery is dead, the watch hands would continue to move to show the time for a few more days. You should definitely check it out. 

The Fiio BTR5 is a portable amp/DAC that supports wired USB-C or bluetooth and has enough power for high impedance headphones.

You guys should totally try the Shokz Bone Conduction headphones! They're like the link-buds where their main purpose is to let in ambient noise, except that these don't go in the ears at all. I love mine so much, because they're crazy comfortable compared to earbuds, they're super safe for being in public and bike riding, and in some places they're far more legal than earbuds while biking/driving. Even just in the office they're great, because I can listen to music or podcasts while still hearing coworkers.

It think it would be great to see some short tutorials on optimizing Windows via PowerShell. Writing short batch files or other light automation.

Windows is becoming very invasive and all of the content online around optimizing and de-bloating involves downloading suspicious tools from random users on GitHub.

This sort of content is valuable because it is both practical and educational. The Short Circuit cast and crew can walk us through the nitty gritty of de-bloating and optimizing, and viewers can take that knowledge with them 🙂

I'd happily watch this sort of content!