Security concern - Somebody connected to my TV?

Djuntas

Hello, yesterday somebody connected to my LG A1, using a samsung S20 ultra. Through a translation on Arabic (Im from Denmark, with no closeby Arabic neigherbours, but I am living in an apartment) I found out its a guy that also hides his name like "Private person S20 ultra" wants to play this video pop up. This happened while I was using the TV for Netflix. Im not on ethernet cable, on WiFi atm with the TV.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I figured somebody connected to my password protected Wifi then, or what is going on? Maybe bluetooth range even through im quit far up?

Im quit surprised this is even possible, and why somebody would do that in the first place. Contacted LG support also, maybe they know it as a common thing.

Probably just a neighbour trying to connect via wifi direct/screen cast?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Probably just a neighbour trying to connect via wifi direct/screen cast?

Thats my thoughts as well, but I have no arabic neighbours, so I dunno...Also again my WiFi is password protected and IIRC to connect to the TV to mirror/cast dont the person need to be on my wifi to do so? I mean maybe somebody down in the street or parking lot like idk 20 meters away from me connected O.o? But why thats all I can think off - Anyway already removed device history and changed some stuff.

yea ive had my neighbor try to connect to my tv. (accident he has a lg also and picked the wrong one)
but you have to authorize (ok) it. otherwise they cant connect

9 hours ago, circeseye said:

yea ive had my neighbor try to connect to my tv. (accident he has a lg also and picked the wrong one)
but you have to authorize (ok) it. otherwise they cant connect

Cool, still odd in my case again because a) Arabic langue "private name" b) I have no arabic people close to me, so its somebody way down the street or some reaching my TV? But odd how ppl can do it without being on my WiFi, so guess its bluetooth range being good?

Someone hacked your WiFi password and got the prompt to cast to your TV, maybe they even clicked on it by accident.

This happened to me as well. Some kids on the nearby playground somehow got my WiFi password and played Minecraft Let's Plays on my TV. Changed the password and haven't had issues since.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

8 hours ago, FliP0x said:

Someone hacked your WiFi password and got the prompt to cast to your TV, maybe they even clicked on it by accident.

This happened to me as well. Some kids on the nearby playground somehow got my WiFi password and played Minecraft Let's Plays on my TV. Changed the password and haven't had issues since.

Hope thats the case. Still I dont have the easiest password, so if that sticks out...well okay 😮 Time to consider a password manager soon enough, but I dont like giving my data to one entry-break-point.

20 hours ago, Djuntas said:

Time to consider a password manager soon enough, but I dont like giving my data to one entry-break-point.

That will never change. In one case the single-point-of-failure is you, in the other it's the password company. It's just a matter of what you trust more: you remembering all the passwords you've ever created for services, which has most likely led you to compromising on either or both password strength and number of different passwords, or the text file on your computer that contains them all never being compromised, or a company whose entire business model is to provide a password management environment. "It's  their business model" of course doesn't mean you should blindly trust them, but it is the thing they focus on and is why I'm looking at switching to one.

As for this, I would change the Wi-Fi password if you're really worried, keep an eye out and be done with it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't see their device on your network, then they probably connected using WiFI DIrect/Miracast, and there really isn't too  much you can do about it since it works on an ad-hoc network basis.