Ryzen 5 5600h hits 100 degrees instantly, repasted 2 times in 2 different services

Paul_

At more than 10C difference compared to the factory paste application, I would say that's an issue. It would seem to me there's something wrong with the current application.

• How did you clean the CPU, did you use proper cleaning agents, such as isopropyl alcohol?
  • And did you prevent body-grease from getting on the block/CPU?
  • Is it a bare-die CPU, and if so did you cover the entire die? With bare dies, since there's no heatspreader, you really need to cover the entire die, the "pea-sized dot" method doesn't work.
  • And did you tighten the heatsink/block with a cross pattern?

As a sidenote: I do still think, dry paste doesn't have to be a problem. It could appear dry to you and me and still meet the factory spec. As long as the gaps between the block and CPU remain filled and heat-conductive, then it's fine. dry paste really becomes a problem when removing and re-seating the CPU block.

4 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

At more than 10C difference compared to the factory paste application, I would say that's an issue. It would seem to me there's something wrong with the current application.

How did you clean the CPU, did you use proper cleaning agents, such as isopropyl alcohol? Is it a bare-die CPU, and if so did you cover the entire die? With bare dies, since there's no heatspreader, you really need to cover the entire die, the "pea-sized dot" method doesn't work.

And did you tighten the heatsink/block with a cross pattern?

As a sidenote: I do still think, dry paste doesn't have to be a problem. It could appear dry to you and me and still meet the factory spec. As long as the gaps between the block and CPU remain filled and heat-conductive, then it's fine. dry paste really becomes a problem when removing and re-seating the CPU block.

I didn't apply the paste myself as I didn't have any proper tools at the moment but considering your questions and my lack of knowledge considering them I think I will take into account doing it once myself to at least see if following your approach might change anything, but yeah it will take some time before I will be able to do that.

The repasting has been done the 2 times in 2 different services, which is ironic in a way that after the 2 times the behavior is the same and the temp is still that high. 

And did you tighten the heatsink/block with a cross pattern?

Also, would you mind explaining a bit what this means as I didn't about it so far? I would appreciate that 

Also, would you suggest a full thin layer spread on the cpu compared to other types of spread?

Edited by Paul_

9 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Room temp is generally between 20-22, usually closer to 20, sometimes lower, I also use a cooler pad sometimes but it really makes not even the smallest difference at full RPM

GPU is a 130W 3060, settings vary from lowest (warzone for example) at 1080p to high settings in some games but I really look for something in between graphics and FPS and also something that won't melt the components in the games I play, but for lighter games I go with low stretch res and a combo of mid textures or anti-aliasing as it will make it look not that bad and still keep the stretch resolution. So it really depends on the game but usually nothing out of the ordinary or something to push it to it's limits at all times.

can you reset nr from hwmonitor, have it open while warzoning.   take a new pic from hwmonitor same place as last pic, after u die or the game is done ?

9 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

I didn't apply the paste myself as I didn't have any proper tools at the moment but considering your questions and my lack of knowledge considering them I think I will take into account doing it once myself to at least see if following your approach might change anything, but yeah it will take some time before I will be able to do that.

The repasting has been done the 2 times in 2 different services, which is ironic in a way that after the 2 times the behavior is the same and the temp is still that high. 

Also, would you mind explaining a bit what this means as I didn't about it so far? I would appreciate that 

With a cross pattern I mean instead of tightening the screws in a clockwise manner, you start with one screw slightly tighten it, then you tighten the diagonally opposing screw a bit, then do the other two, and then tighten them all. This prevents uneven pressure. I tried to find a video, because I've seen Linus do it and explain it, but I can't find a clip.

By the way, according to other reviews, depending on the game temps of 80C on GPU and 90-95C on CPU are normal, in performance mode and when used on a desk. So you're not far off. 10C might even be just some variance from dust in the fans, or the surface on which you're using it.

5 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

With a cross pattern I mean instead of tightening the screws in a clockwise manner, you start with one screw slightly tighten it, then you tighten the diagonally opposing screw a bit, then do the other two, and then tighten them all. This prevents uneven pressure. I tried to find a video, because I've seen Linus do it and explain it, but I can't find a clip.

By the way, according to other reviews, depending on the game temps of 80C on GPU and 90-95C on CPU are normal, in performance mode and when used on a desk.

So you're not far off. 10C might even be just some variance from dust in the fans, or the surface on which you're using it.

Hm, yeah this might be the case. I am just concerned that hitting that 100-101 might shorten the lifetime of the cpu and it's not such a cheap machine to be honest.

I saw people where they had max 80 in full load on the cpu in the same intensive titles and I can't put my finger on where the discrepancy comes from but I will also try to do a repaste myself and follow your advice. 

If you could also find some videos on how to do the screwing/repasting or tell me closer terms to find relevant info for the way you said then I would greatly appreciate!

1 minute ago, Paul_ said:

Hm, yeah this might be the case. I am just concerned that hitting that 100-101 might shorten the lifetime of the cpu and it's not such a cheap machine to be honest.

I saw people where they had max 80 in full load on the cpu in the same intensive titles and I can't put my finger on where the discrepancy comes from but I will also try to do a repaste myself and follow your advice. 

If you could also find some videos on how to do the screwing/repasting in the way you said then I would greatly appreciate!

Yep, I just found the clip here. It shows what I mean for desktop CPU coolers, but the same concept applies to laptops.

15 minutes ago, NorKris said:

can you reset nr from hwmonitor, have it open while warzoning.   take a new pic from hwmonitor same place as last pic, after u die or the game is done ?

Sorry but I'm not sure what to reset, what is the "nr"?

3 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Yep, I just found the clip here. It shows what I mean for desktop CPU coolers, but the same concept applies to laptops.

Sorry for asking for too much things but could you also provide an example of a regular vs bare-die? xD 

3 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Sorry but I'm not sure what to reset, what is the "nr"?

sry, clear max/min  😛   then do a gaming run. so we can look at temps, volt, watt all that good stuff from the gaming

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

sry, clear max/min  😛   then do a gaming run. so we can look at temps, volt, watt all that good stuff from the gaming

I will try to provide all of these also with a recording when coming back from work

3 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

I will try to provide all of these also with a recording when coming back from work

nice! 

13 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Sorry for asking for too much things but could you also provide an example of a regular vs bare-die? xD 

Oh yeah no problem. Most CPUs for desktop PC's have a heatspreader tacked on, so a metal shield on which the CPU cooler goes (pictured left).

Laptops instead usually use bare-die CPU's, so no metal can spreading the heat (pictured right).

afbeelding.png.68e228dbd2be9ef817be418c2eafe364.png

Because the die is bare, you need to fully cover it. I'd assume most shops that do PC'-repairs, know how to do this.

Bare dies are also a bit more susceptible to mistakes, in that the surrounding components can get shorted if you use electrically conductive paste, but Arctic MX-2 should be safe (it's electrically non-conductive). Still, you'll want to prevent it from gooping out too much, just to keep things neat.

Esteemed gentlemen, boys, guys, my dudes, I did it! 

So, long story short, I took the matter in my own hands and ordered a Phobya NanoGrease Extreme and proceeded to surgically disassemble my laptop using a fcking kitchen knife

When I took off the heatsking I was in shock, besides the pump out, the cpu and gpu and the heatsinks were bathed in paste in a way, I mean the quantity in my opinion was TOTALLY exagerated, I spent 1 hour or so cleaning everything up, not perfectly but decent enough, poured some microscopical (not literally) quantity of paste and voila, put back in place and booted up. And guys, I really think I will become a DIY adept. 

In the stress test the cpu BARELY hit 86 degrees, played some warzone where it struggled to hit the 90, usually in the low-mid 80s and now it's got a stable 90 degrees in the stress test.

Practically, better than when I bought it.

With this being said I think I will never take again my pc/laptop or any devices that I can handle myself to these so called experts that soak my components in thermal paste. I cannot even grasp how they could do these rookie mistakes, but hey, sometimes you have to do things yourself to do them well!

EDIT: Lul so now it stays at a constant 86 in stress test with some tabs open in browser and a video playing. Marvelous. (the SS was from before I did the edit)

Screenshot 2022-04-15 155706.png

5 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Esteemed gentlemen, boys, guys, my dudes, I did it! 

So, long story short, I took the matter in my own hands and ordered a Phobya NanoGrease Extreme and proceeded to surgically disassemble my laptop using a fcking kitchen knife

When I took off the heatsking I was in shock, besides the pump out, the cpu and gpu and the heatsinks were bathed in paste in a way, I mean the quantity in my opinion was TOTALLY exagerated, I spent 1 hour or so cleaning everything up, not perfectly but decent enough, poured some microscopical (not literally) quantity of paste and voila, put back in place and booted up. And guys, I really think I will become a DIY adept. 

In the stress test the cpu BARELY hit 86 degrees, played some warzone where it struggled to hit the 90, usually in the low-mid 80s and now it's got a stable 90 degrees in the stress test.

Practically, better than when I bought it.

With this being said I think I will never take again my pc/laptop or any devices that I can handle myself to these so called experts that soak my components in thermal paste. I cannot even grasp how they could do these rookie mistakes, but hey, sometimes you have to do things yourself to do them well!

Screenshot 2022-04-15 155706.png

oh man, where was the smart phone when we needed it? 😞 

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

oh man, where was the smart phone when we needed it? 😞 

Not sure what this means xD

Just now, Paul_ said:

Not sure what this means xD

image.png.b928a525a059351a6a2d8e6d90e31eff.png

+

image.png.938dfd33af7a2d4069a6da74f17ff9bb.png

=

YO guys look at this mess

(..or somthing like that..)

Just now, NorKris said:

image.png.b928a525a059351a6a2d8e6d90e31eff.png

+

image.png.938dfd33af7a2d4069a6da74f17ff9bb.png

=

YO guys look at this mess

(..or somthing like that..)

Hahaha lol yeah sorry about that, I was too caught up in what I was doing there, but imagine it was the almost worst in my case!

Hahaha lol yeah sorry about that, I was too caught up in what I was doing there, but imagine it was the almost worst in my case!

other than the "robbery of nice pics"  we are down to either  insane cheap thermal paste or some other user error on the techs that did this first repaste

Just now, NorKris said:

other than the "robbery of nice pics"  we are down to either  insane cheap thermal paste or some other user error on the techs that did this first repaste

The thing is that there were 2 repastes, one at the first service and one at the second, they both used the arctic mx-2 but my best guess is that both of them used almost the same ridiculous amount of paste (I also believe they are used to PCs and usually put those amounts in PCs or smth) because I used kind of like 1/5 of what was there or even less and now god help me it works like a charm. 

The thing is that there were 2 repastes, one at the first service and one at the second, they both used the arctic mx-2 but my best guess is that both of them used almost the same ridiculous amount of paste (I also believe they are used to PCs and usually put those amounts in PCs or smth) because I used kind of like 1/5 of what was there or even less and now god help me it works like a charm. 

hmm okey but the "too much paste" has been debunked as a reason for high temps : /

6 minutes ago, NorKris said:

hmm okey but the "too much paste" has been debunked as a reason for high temps : /

Can you give some sources? I don't know, it might've not been the reason, but I do believe in a way it was

2 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Can you give some sources? I don't know, it might've not been the reason, but I do believe in a way it was

our tech jesus got it "covered".. as it where 😛 

image.png.5cb42cf51a845c6b7155a1c7ef3a60b7.png

mx-2 is old...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links