Ryzen 5 5600h hits 100 degrees instantly, repasted 2 times in 2 different services

Paul_

Hi guys! As the title says, this is the situation. 

The laptop is a Legion 5 15ACH6H

Repasted twice with arctic mx-2, worse temperatures than when the paste was hard rock before repasting. 

The GPU temps are perfect, max 80 or so in full load.

The laptop is some months old, I just cannot grasp on why this is happening, I cannot even imagine any issue that could occur for this to happen.

If you need any more info regarding the system or whatever please tell me.

Edit: Also what is strange is that in idle or with a browser opened the temp is at max 50 degrees which could be said that is ok, installers/patched/updates/opening programs can get it as high as 80 something degrees and coolers would ramp up fast then the temp would normally drop down, so in a way in some scenarios the cpu doesn't show up signs of something like bad thermals overall, but god help me if in a stress test it doesn't just ramp up to at least 97 degrees. At first after the second repaste I had very good temps for some hours, after that I opened NFS Heat and nothing more to say that it was indeed Heat (100 degrees instantly)

3 minutes ago, NorKris said:

define instant

Instant as in < 3 secs after pressing the stress button, launching a heavier-cpu game would have that effect as well as the utilization would ramp up to >60% and the temps would just jump to >98 at the launch and during menus, patches and loading screens but also most of the time of the gameplay

EDIT: Also the the CPU doesn't even need to be in full load aka 100% for those temps, anything slightly bigger than 50% would achieve those temps

thanks for the < 3    haha    ok ok  if 100c after secs    no connact between metal and cpu is what im thinking

can we get pic of thermal paste spread?

I'm currently writing from it and I really wouldn't open it because I think I would risk messing up whatever is there already and I really need to use it these days xD 

The thing is that I took it to 2 services which I suppose that I least one of them would actually know how to spread the thermal paste because they're quite the best in my city, also I meant under 3 seconds with < 3 xD (As in <  3sec)

Currently I'm trying to somewhat stress it with some RDR2 which is not that CPU intensive in my opinion, it hits 92-93 in cutscenes which never happened before the first repaste and the thermal issues, also the temp would stay in the 85 margin all the time before as well.

What I'm thinking but I think it wouldn't make sense, maybe this specific thermal paste would allow for greater temps? I really think it shouldn't be like that as the max temp of the cpu is 105 and running that close to it wouldn't be a good siign

6 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

also I meant under 3 seconds with < 3 xD (As in <  3sec)

iknow, i was trying to be  fuuunnii.

The thing is that I took it to 2 services which I suppose that I least one of them would actually know how to spread the thermal paste

ooh ok. ii dont think they "dont" know how to spread it, or spread it wrong, or use the wrong paste..

just that maybe the pressure between the metal and cpu is not  tight enough   or somthing like that.  

but both fans spins right? or how many u have

Yep 2 fans, they look to be working alright, nothing seems to be wrong in that way

It looks like anything that makes the cpu work harder also makes it go on crazy temps

LE: Ok so the utilisation got to 80 something - 90 and the cpu went to 100-101 degrees again. This is crazy

There you go, now it's stuck at 100.4, the really strange thing is that when I tried it at the service and a bit home for like an hour the temps were something like top max 90 for the stress test and I was really happy. One day later, this

LE: I have checked the youtube for some vids on how it should perform and I gotta say gpu temp is not ideal as well, I can see 70 to 75 max degrees for others and 80-81 for the cpu at almost 80% load. This is really frustrating 😞Annotation 2022-04-13 004054.png

Edited by Paul_

with 54w of power my cpu temp is also very high (86)... i have intel, and maybe a thinnner laptop. but 57w while doing what? hm

That was during the stress test, accordingly to Lenovo the max tdp of this cpu can be 54 and I suppose somewhere could be adjusted between 35-54, but anyway I didn't modify anything regarding that

LE: I suppose that there is the posibility to also have some spikes here and there but in games it never goes higher than 40 something watts which sticks to the supposed limits 

Edited by Paul_

Bump! Anyone that can at least give me a hint or something to try? 😞 

just to be clear. you laptop hits 100c "instantly" .... while running a software that it does not need to run?
its not hitting 100c instantly without doing anything... 

Yes but still it that's not a reason for it to hit 100 degrees is it? It's lifespan would be severely shortened running at these temps I assume and also not even hitting boost speed, I just want to know why would the temps go way higher than before with a new paste, way worse than when the paste was a rock hard gum. 

LE: If you refer to the stress that as a program that it doesn't need to run I agree, but still this shows it's issues beyond that, the temps are way higher than they were normally in anything else such as games that I usually play (take as an example valorant which is a fricking potato game that now makes my cpu go into the high 80s, when originally it was in the 60-70 at max)

21 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Yes but still it that's not a reason for it to hit 100 degrees is it? It's lifespan would be severely shortened running at these temps I assume and also not even hitting boost speed, I just want to know why would the temps go way higher than before with a new paste, way worse than when the paste was a rock hard gum. 

LE: If you refer to the stress that as a program that it doesn't need to run I agree, but still this shows it's issues beyond that, the temps are way higher than they were normally in anything else such as games that I usually play (take as an example valorant which is a fricking potato game that now makes my cpu go into the high 80s, when originally it was in the 60-70 at max)

Buying a thin laptop. Running programs it was kinda not designed for.. 

Its like Buying a kia, dragracing all day till the car overheats.. 

What about telling us temps arter gaming? 

Trust me I've been mostly using it with light gaming and some work since I don't have so much time now to play games, the heavier games rarer and for a shorter time, also I've only been using it for Idk max 6 months? I really doubt this should've happened. Also, again, after cleaning and new paste? Doesn't make sense to me however I stressed it honestly. 

In idle it goes max to 50 with no open programs, in semi-idle with browser and work programs (slack/ outlook / visual studio) it goes to mid 60s sometimes 70.

Also, it's really not so thin, it's pretty heavy and bulky if you ask me, it has 4 vents (6 if you count the bottom ones), so really I don't believe overheating should be the case. Stress testing was done only after I observed the issues which was, what, 2 weeks ago? Besides that only normal usage

Trust me I've been mostly using it with light gaming and some work since I don't have so much time now to play games, the heavier games rarer and for a shorter time, also I've only been using it for Idk max 6 months?

Ok so no problems detected with the Laptop, good.

7 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

I really doubt this should've happened. Also, again, after cleaning and new paste?

Thermal paste is only 1-4c max  (from worst to best)

8 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

In idle it goes max to 50 with no open programs, in semi-idle with browser and work programs (slack/ outlook / visual studio) it goes to mid 60s sometimes 70.

this is 100% normal

i still feel like the Kia in the dragrace 

So there's no fix for this you mean? 

Getting from bad temps with dry paste and not cleaned to horrible temps with fresh paste and cleaned laptop?

I just don't know.

11 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Getting from bad temps with dry paste and not cleaned to horrible temps with fresh paste and cleaned laptop?

Dry paste, A CPU or GPU needs to be in existence for 4+ years for it to be dry. How old is this laptop? 

13 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

So there's no fix for this you mean? 

You have not provided temps from gaming, therefor there is notthing wrong. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Technochondria

40 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Buying a thin laptop. Running programs it was kinda not designed for.. 

Im not saying u should never run a stresstest on a Laptop. 

I would run a stress before and after putting on new thermal paste.
Or i would run a stress test after buying a new laptop just to see how hot it CAN get.

But not as a ... "help this is how hot my laptop gets when i put it tru stuff its not rly made for"

Not even 1 year old.

Well I will provide gaming temps now, the thing is that I'm pretty sure I'm not a technochondriac and I have enough awareness of this tech stuff to notice changes where they weren't before. So basically I am looking for a solution right now and not a term for what someone would supposedly think I'm ill about, not that this would be relevant in any way to the problem or to my perception of myself, sorry if I put it that way. I would really want to actually find solutions for the subject of the topic.

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

"help this is how hot my laptop gets when i put it tru stuff its not rly made for"

So games are something that this device is not made for? This is why I even started the topic to be honest.

278158292_1122697348329071_5231166980767487430_n.jpg

28 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

A few degrees of difference should be expected, I would argue the factory application is better than what you or I could do, until the paste starts to dry.

No way a laptop with a 5600H is old enough for the paste to have been bad. I think you tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

So unless the temp difference is more than a couple degrees (taking into account differences in ambient temperatures as well), I think there's no problem here.

Laptops just don't have as much heat-sinking capability due to lack of thermal mass. Instant high temperatures under load are to be expected until the fans ramp up.

The temps are into the high 90s even after half an hour after the fans ramp up.

The difference here is about minimum 10 degrees or more in some cases, which is even more concerning to me because I don't think the cpu would really need to hit the 90s in really light games

I can assure you the paste was dry, pretty much in the state of a really hard gum, since this was also confirmed by the service I went to, which wouldn't make it a fix for something not broken I believe 

5 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

A few degrees of difference should be expected, I would argue the factory application is better than what you or I could do, until the paste starts to dry.

No way a laptop with a 5600H is old enough for the paste to have been bad. I think you tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

So unless the temp difference is more than a couple degrees (taking into account differences in ambient temperatures as well), I think there's no problem here.

Laptops just don't have as much heat-sinking capability due to lack of thermal mass. Instant high temperatures under load are to be expected until the fans ramp up.

10 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

Not even 1 year old.

Well I will provide gaming temps now, the thing is that I'm pretty sure I'm not a technochondriac and I have enough awareness of this tech stuff to notice changes where they weren't before. So basically I am looking for a solution right now and not a term for what someone would supposedly think I'm ill about, not that this would be relevant in any way to the problem or to my perception of myself, sorry if I put it that way. I would really want to actually find solutions for the subject of the topic.

So games are something that this device is not made for? This is why I even started the topic to be honest.

278158292_1122697348329071_5231166980767487430_n.jpg

this is more intresting. 

what settings r u at? What gpu?
and whats the room temp?

Room temp is generally between 20-22, usually closer to 20, sometimes lower, I also use a cooler pad sometimes but it really makes not even the smallest difference at full RPM

GPU is a 130W 3060, settings vary from lowest (warzone for example) at 1080p to high settings in some games but I really look for something in between graphics and FPS and also something that won't melt the components in the games I play, but for lighter games I go with low stretch res and a combo of mid textures or anti-aliasing as it will make it look not that bad and still keep the stretch resolution. So it really depends on the game but usually nothing out of the ordinary or something to push it to it's limits at all times.