Connecting Bookshelf speakers to older TV without RCA or 3.5mm output.

Prose

I'm looking for a high quality product that will make my powered bookshelf speakers into the default audio device for my tv. If I can connect my speakers to something that connects to HDMI ARC or digital optical output I can set it to my default speakers. I watch most of my movies on it via PS3 because it has an analog output for sound via composite cables that can plug directly into my speakers. This setup is less than ideal as you would imagine, probably won't be long before sony removes support for ps store, netflix and amazon prime either.

I've tried a cheap amazon "dac" product that connects to my tv's optical output but it's quality is very poor. Tons of low static noise and muffled sound overall.

Tv: Panasonic gt50 50"

- has HDMI ARC

- has digital optical out

Speakers: Audioengine 5+ powered bookshelf speakers

- has RCA input

- has 3.5mm input

- does NOT have optical input like the newer 5+

Any help would be great, thanks!

55 minutes ago, Prose said:

I'm looking for a high quality product that will make my powered bookshelf speakers into the default audio device for my tv. If I can connect my speakers to something that connects to HDMI ARC or digital optical output I can set it to my default speakers. I watch most of my movies on it via PS3 because it has an analog output for sound via composite cables that can plug directly into my speakers. This setup is less than ideal as you would imagine, probably won't be long before sony removes support for ps store, netflix and amazon prime either.

I've tried a cheap amazon "dac" product that connects to my tv's optical output but it's quality is very poor. Tons of low static noise and muffled sound overall.

Tv: Panasonic gt50 50"

- has HDMI ARC

- has digital optical out

Speakers: Audioengine 5+ powered bookshelf speakers

- has RCA input

- has 3.5mm input

- does NOT have optical input like the newer 5+

Any help would be great, thanks!

I have yet to find an optical audio solution that wasn't crappy quality and flakey af, I've also had mixed results with ARC, sometimes it works, sometimes it's nothing. I noticed on the spec sheet for that tv that it may have aux output?

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

I have yet to find an optical audio solution that wasn't crappy quality and flakey af, I've also had mixed results with ARC, sometimes it works, sometimes it's nothing. I noticed on the spec sheet for that tv that it may have aux output?

I think that's the larger models (60" +).

Would a home theatre A/V receiver work with powered speakers if I plug them Into the RCA ports or am I going to blow up my speakers?

15 hours ago, Prose said:

I think that's the larger models (60" +).

Would a home theatre A/V receiver work with powered speakers if I plug them Into the RCA ports or am I going to blow up my speakers?

The answer is it depends on the receiver. But, there are RCA to speaker wire cables and RCA to speaker wire terminal adapters. In the past, I have opened up an RCA cable to make my own style of cable for this, but it was on a system I didn't care about. 

You can also use something like this, which I've also done in the past for a similar setup. 
image.thumb.png.d4a6d2e83806cfb9db3f5787e0e64a1f.png

I've got a moukey just basic sound amp, hooked up to a pair of moukey speakers, and both are connected just through speaker wire, and then the amp has RCA input or aux, and it works perfectly fine. The BT is a little "budget oriented" and has probably a 20ft range vs 10m

• 2 weeks later...