Thoughts on Geologie?

mynameGeoff

I honestly think LTT should never even bat an eye in that companies direction because there are too many red flags.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) Fake Reviews:

A.) The reviews on the front page look pretty fake to me. It seems like they typed what they wanted customers to read, put a fake name down, and then inserted a fake location to make it seem like people all over are buying it. Sure, lots of sites put stuff like that on their front page, but  all over the website there are reviews talking about such dire situations, yet their low strength products magically fix everything.

B.) "Find Better Skincare Reviews, We Dare You!" - Despite many places having better legitimate reviews for products that are stronger.
2.) The Awards are Fake:

On the front page it has 3 misleading pictures to make it seem like they have won awards (or sell products that won awards). I couldn't confirm anything from the 3 places they listed, but all of them are from nonsense review sites that have little to no credibility. Upon reviewing those sites I found incorrect information and advertisements to products that don't even work well. As far as I am concerned, they get a 0 even if they won 50 awards from anyone they listed.
3.) More Misleading Information & Complete Lies:

A.) "Why We’re Beating the Competition"  - They aren't beating the competition nor have they proved otherwise.

B.) "We focus relentlessly on efficacy." - I did their waste of time survey, making sure they knew it's for a more dire situation, and they recommend the same low strength products that they sell anyways on the "Shop All Products" page, excluded loads of information (including the fact that their product was for low-moderate cases), and included useless information to make the product look good (like 1% caffeine). To find the products you have to go to a whole new page and find the product manually, you can't just click on what they recommend.

C.) "Our simple, personalized regimens are powerful and effective because we only use clinically-proven active ingredients that actually work." -  Their regimens aren't powerful, aren't proven to be powerful, and even sometimes tell you that their product isn't that strong in the description.
The rest of their website is basically re-worded nonsense that adds nothing to the conversation + them going around in a circle finding an excuse to make up more lies about how great the products are. I thought I was going to review every page, but I decided not to after looking through the rest of the website and just seeing the same repeated nonsense over and over.

I have nothing against "premium"-brands (that may or may not have a better product than everyone else) with a focus on marketing and a nice experience surrounding their core products. That said, I agree that their site seems to have dodgy written all over it. Now to be fair, their products may actually be good, but none of the bold claims they make on their website have any actual information behind it that backs them up. If they really were focussed on "facts", you'd think they'd have more of them to show, no? Additionally, the fact that they're trying to rope you into a subscription model and offer financing for skincare products doesn't help at all either. Naturally, they also make returning a purchase as hard as they possibly can by not covering the return shipping cost and threatening that if you refuse delivery and/or return the package to sender, they may only issue you a 50% refund.

Again, to be clear, I'm not saying their products are definetely bad or that they are a scam, but I believe that LTT should not just take everything they claim at face value and promote them based on those claims as long as those go unverified.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

@GeoffLMGT'would seem to be a no from the forum 😂

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

On 4/15/2022 at 6:04 AM, darknessblade said:

Copy pasting is also impossible without using the F12 screen

Puny mortal! Get a Mac peasant! /s

Definitely some interesting takes in this thread. While I'm all for skincare, and I think it's something that males need to spend a lot more time looking into...I have to agree with @Roswell on the point of pricing. It is rather ridiculous, and that's coming from someone that pays $20 for a single bar of soap. I'd feel like the LTT audience would be getting ripped off here. I thought maybe they used more natural ingredients and that was why it was more expensive? Nope. Though their ingredient lists are quite lengthy, so maybe there's some hidden benefits in there that I don't know. Doubt it, though.

I feel if you're going to start spending this kind of money on skin products, you're probably best off consulting an actual dermatologist.

That said, I fully support having more affordable companies in the same product category advertise on LTT. Even if it gets the thought into people's minds that it's something they should try out. For those that are slightly interested, L'Oreal makes a wide assortment of affordable products for men. If you have a beard, their beard moisturizers are IMO a must, especially if you want people stroking it 😉

On 4/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, LWM723 said:

This product has nothing to do with tech. What's next, tampons?

Not sure why that matters. It's still something that the audience could (and frankly should) find useful. Not this particular brand mind you, but skin care in general.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:45 AM, GhostRoadieBL said:

Boutique, small volume products will always be expensive to manufacture and develop. It makes sense for the price when looking at competing smaller companies (not household names) in the same product lines like Mesoa or Joanna Vargas.

The market they are aimed at doesn't seem to be the same as what I assume LMG's audience majority is (based on the stereotypical tech enthusiast being an accurate stereotype) where energy drinks and looking like you pulled all nighters for your entire life is more common.

It looks like a decent company with some questionable statements about "personalized" routines. The lack of product variety doesn't support the combination of their products being personalized setups.

"normal" skin line of 5 products

"sensitive" skin line of 5 products

But these have multiple common or minimally changed products between so the personalization is simply normal vs sensitive.

Also,

20220413_114234.jpg.4d801908a6a0d2721469fc9e9c5b19d3.jpg

20220413_114305.jpg.cde93ac06472e455b93ebd95497f7ea9.jpg

Pick my skin tone.

Haha, that's odd. I get much lighter suggestions on mine. Not the ghost white that it needs to be, but far lighter than the selections you're given.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:04 AM, darknessblade said:

When looking over their site I cannot stop hearing alarm bells screaming SCAM.

They portray cheaper brands as the "Bad guy" calling some "BAD" scientific names of ingredients, just to scare people, into thinking every brand uses those ingredients, while they themselves try to hide their ingredients as much as they can.

-----------

They also make it really hard to read their own ingredients

Trough using a Hover text, showing a small popup with the ingredients

For example the next product has the following ingredients

Copy pasting is also impossible without using the F12 screen

https://geologie.com/products/unscented-exfoliating-cleanser-2-pack

The following product on walmark

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Neutrogena-Deep-Clean-Gentle-Facial-Scrub-Oil-Free-4-2-fl-oz/10849664

Has the ingredients Visible and easily readable, without any issue.

Not forgetting the "other" Brand is over 10x cheaper. than Geologie

Also regarding Geologie's ingredients, Yes Having less "SCARY" ingredients Sounds "better" but if you go out of your way to try and hide said ingredients, then it is not even remotely better. and makes me think there are even more shady things going on about Geologie

--------

After pressing the "getting started" button, and go trough their questionnaire, they are very keen on selling a subscription, while this was not the case before. {You also have to give your email, before even getting any results, which I DID NOT. I used a temp mail, and a fake name}

----------

Then there is also the point of Import Fees if you live in the EU/ In any place other than the USA/Canada

{Please note the Listed Address is a random one I took, just to see what it would cost}

1360284923_geologiescam.thumb.png.0a3c836d5fa84bd9a6db8f3c4608f650.png

--------

Their Refund policy reads as kinda shady to me.

https://faq.geologie.com/article/w2ffyahmeq-what-s-your-return-policy

As it is not fully clear how their "refund" Policy works. Like if you used 0.5ml of a 15ml bottle, do you still get a FULL refund?

----------

In my Opinion its better to stay FAR away from this type of Company.

There's a few points I'll make on your criticisms, that I think are pretty unfair:

• If you live in another country, yes, you should expect to pay import fees. The same is true for virtually any product you import.
  • They don't hide the ingredients. They're right there in plain sight. Nitpicking over website design elements like that is kind of stupid, when they're clearly going for a cleaner looking website, and the information is still right there in front of you.
  • The refund policy is not hard to understand, and is clearly laid out.

The products must be unused, the package preferably unopened and returned using a return label generated through our self-service returns platform🔗, powered by Loop.

There's on scam here. Overpriced product? Sure, absolutely. That is not what a scam is, and mislabelling things as scams when they're not is going to muddy the term.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

.I have to agree with @Roswell on the point of pricing. It is rather ridiculous, and that's coming from someone that pays $20 for a single bar of soap.

You do realise that this tiny amount lasts you a month right? 30$ a month isn't terrible actually. It's supposed to spread into a thin layer. 

6 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

You do realise that this tiny amount lasts you a month right? 30$ a month isn't terrible actually. It's supposed to spread into a thin layer. 

You do realize that doesn't make it a good deal, right? 😉 You can get very nice stuff, in higher quantities, for significantly less.

I'm not talking department store stuff either. Khiels, for example.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 4/18/2022 at 9:13 AM, Ezzy-525 said:

@GeoffLMGT'would seem to be a no from the forum 😂

Looks to be that way, haha.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback here. I'll be forwarding everyone's feedback to the brand, but it looks like they won't be a great fit for the channel. Locking the thread here.

The business team and I appreciate the feedback you all provide us on our potential sponsors. Our monthly sponsor thread is always open to suggestions for brands that we should explore as well as feedback for our current ones 🙂