LG C1 Forgetting it's in HDR

Hi all,

There's an issue I've been experiencing on my LG C1 for a while where it almost seems like the TV forgets it's supposed to be in HDR. What happens is the show will start out in HDR fine and then a bit of the way in, I'll notice that a scene seems a bit dark or something so I pick up the remote and click something like the settings button and wiggle over the selection buttons at which point the whole display jumps up in brightness like it forgot what it was supposed to be doing.

I'd only noticed this when watching a rip of The Crown so I figured it was just a quirk of that encoder or with Plex but then I had it the other day watching a Blu Ray of one of the Harry Potter films. This time I just happened to bring up the Blu Ray menu overly during a dim scene and noticed that the menu bar was a lot dimmer than it should have been as well. I clicked the main menu button and it went back to the menu with the same sudden jump in brightness. Click resume and everything looked like it should. I noticed a couple of times that when it would cut to a new shot or scene, there would be a slight brightness adjustment again. A quick pause and rewind at these points showed they weren't part of the actual video as the same issues didn't happen again.

I'm not entirely sure if this is always the case (I don't think it is but it could be worth mentioning) but it could be related to pausing what I'm watching and selecting the 'screen off' function I have in the shortcut menu (no sense in leaving an OLED on pause if I'm going into the kitchen for a few minues to make a snack or something). When I come back and resume, I always check to make sure it's all playing properly again so I don't know when or why this is occurring.

Do you have any auto brightness/contrast enabled? Is dynamic tone mapping on? 

You mentioned that you're watching rips of blu-rays, are you using HDR rips or SDR rips? If using SDR rips, ensure HDR isn't set to forced, it can cause weird issues. 

Nope, none of that is on. I'm very susceptible to that kind of thing so I make sure to turn all of those kinds of things off any display I've owned. And I'm fairly certain that they're HDR rips. Everything usually displays properly, it's not something that happens every time.

I've been trying to get footage of this issue but it's hard to know when it's going to happen.

my lg nano90 does something similar. but it goes into game mode instead of hdr. ever since lgs last update it sent out, the tv seems to not be able to tell from game or video randomly

14 hours ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Nope, none of that is on. I'm very susceptible to that kind of thing so I make sure to turn all of those kinds of things off any display I've owned. And I'm fairly certain that they're HDR rips. Everything usually displays properly, it's not something that happens every time.

I've been trying to get footage of this issue but it's hard to know when it's going to happen.

You should enable Dynamic Tone Mapping, the only time you should maybe leave it off is for gaming. 

Can you try an HDR YouTube video to test instead of rips from Plex? Is Plex all set to use direct stream instead of transcoding? Can you try Plex from another device? I found the WebOS Plex app to be less than optimal compared to my PS5 or Chromecast. 

• 1 month later...

That sounds like you have the energy saving option still turned on. Have a look at this video for more on the matter:

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, Stahlmann said:

That sounds like you have the energy saving option still turned on. Have a look at this video for more on the matter:

It's not that. I'm very meticulous with turning these kinds of settings off. I have since discovered that it's actually the ASBL (different to the ABL). What it's basically doing is detecting dark scenes in HDR as static scenes and dimming the display. That's why it suddenly jumps up when the bright UI elements pop up. I also noticed when watching the graveyard scene in Goblet of Fire. That whole scene is intentionally very dark and then when the wands come out and bright sparks are flying across the screen, there was another jump so it didn't seem to be related to user interaction.

I've managed to use the IR blaster on my phone to get into the service menu and disable it and since then it hasn't happened again.